It's a bughunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a bughunt

Is this going to be a stand up fight Sir, or is this going to be another bug hunt?
    Hudson from Aliens
    Well that time is upon us, Civ3 is right around the corner and will be in our greedy little hands before we know it. Besides all of the much anticipated features like culture, armies, forced labor, war penalties, etc.; Civ3 will also come with at least a few bugs. In the past the fans came together under the direction of that Civ Heretic Yin26 and put together a buglist for SMAC. That buglist proved to be quite successful, and firaxis fixed most of the items on it. Quality Assurance is one of the most labor intensive parts of computer game development making it a fairly expensive item; not only that resources earmarked for Q/A are determined by how well the game sells and how long its sells remain strong. Firaxis has a good record of supporting their games, but even firaxis has a limit on how long they can use resources to support a game. This means that the sooner bugs get found, the greater the possibility they will get fixed.

The one resource overflowing here at Apolyton is free time. By harnessing our free time we help alliveate Q/A labor needs for firaxis. While bug hunters at Apolyton could not replace Q/A team members at firaxis we could prove to be a very useful resource for them. For one thing we work for free! Additionally we are some of the most civ players, and we know a bug when we see it. With some cooperation between firaxis and Apolyton, the community and the developers could work together in the same way they for for the past two years and really accomplish something great! I really hope that civ3 is flawless, I realize that this isn't possible, but I think it can come very close.

I have contacted MarkG and DanQ about this, and it appears that we will have their support in this project (like always! thanks guys!). Also I mailed the following document to Kelly Gilmore yeterday, and a reply said that I Kelly was off from work right now but would be back on monday. I would have mailed this to Jeff Morris, but I don't have his email address.

Firaxis (Q/A in particular),

We here at Apolyton know that Firaxis will do everything within its power to find and quash all of the bugs in Civ3 during the beta; however, some will make it into the final release. With SMAC, it seemed that bug lists created by the fans helped make the job easier. With that in mind, we at Apolyton would like to focus our efforts on creating the best bug report we can for you at Firaxis. All we can offer you is a group of enthusiastic (rabid) fans who are willing to volunteer their spare time to finding and verifying bugs. All we ask is for you to tell us how you want this data organized and presented. We want to work with you as closely as possible to ensure our efforts will be of a great benefit to you, because the greatest reward for us is having the best possible Civ3. So if you would be kind enough to tell us how you would like for us to classify, verify, organize, and report bugs to Firaxis we will follow your instructions. Any other suggestions or advice you might have would also be helpful. Our process will be completely open over at Apolyton so feel free to drop in as much as possible! Thanks for your time.
    I know that I have moaned just as much as anyone about Civ3, and I am now putting money where my mouth is. I will buy the person who finds the most verified Civ3 bugs an Apolyton t-shirt of their choosing. Yeap, you heard me. If you are the person who finds the most bugs in Civ3 I will buy you an Apolyton T-shirt. I already own one myself, and I will gets some pics of me in it soon to prove I am serious.

The one lesson learned in the past two years is that organization makes all fan efforts more successful. It is much better to create an Apolyton bug list, than for each fan who finds a certain bug to fill the firaxis Q/A team's mailbox. So here is what I am proposing.

In our bug list efforts we need a few positions. First thing we need is for the community to post the bugs they find. This is the basic bug hunter position. All you have to do to be a bug hunter, is when you see a bug goto the correct forum, and describe the bug. If you have a save game that would be great! The next position we need is for people to verify the bugs. They look at the bug list, see a bug that hasn't been verified yet, then they try to recreate the bug. Once they have done this they will post a savegame of the bug. The next position is the bug list administrators. They need to scurry the forum looking for new bug postings, then they need to take those bug postings, make sure they are really new bugs, then post them to the official bug list, which will be topped in the correct forum. The last position is the most interesting, and that is the game breaker. Thos who want to be game breakers will try to do crazy things to induce bugs. If they are really creative, then hopefully this can really speed up the process. All the community needs is a just a little bit of your free time.

Until we hear from Firaxis the exact method of describing bugs is unknown. Hopefully they will give us a form to follow, but if they don't we will work out our own form, so that the list will be as easy to understand as possible. I really hope that Firaxis participates, if they do then they will get even more benefit out of it.

Just remember that we have one goal, and that goal is to make Civ3 the best quality game possible!

If you wish to participate please, say say which things you would like to do and put the email address you want to be contacted at in your post. As things get nailed down a little bit better, I will update you; however, if we are going to be ready and have this organized from day one we need to start now.

bug hunter, verifier, bug list administrator, game breaker

korn469@mindless.com

Comment

I have found a bug before on one of the civ3 screenshots. Lemme find it a sec!
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

This sounds good to me. Will there be a specific forums for bugs in Civ3 then?
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          I have found a bug before on one of the civ3 screenshots. Lemme find it a sec!
          There is a bug in the Editor screenshot posted today. One line of the frame "Citizen Mood" is covered by the '%' after "Chance if Rioting:"

Comment

You can add me to your list of bug hunters. If I find any bugs I will do as you've asked.
            Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
            "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

I would like you to look at the two cities below, both being large and possessing the same graphic. However look at the bottom left side of Oil Springs. You will notice that the bottom left hand diagonal part of the city icon has been shaved off if you compare it to Tonawanda Is this perhaps the first bug? Do I get a T-shirt for that?

(it's worth a try )
              Attached Files
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Provost Harrison and Gramphos

i am glad you are both interested, but lets wait to see if the bug in the editor screenshot is in the actual game
                if it is in Civ3, then we already have the first bug for our list

as far as having a dedicated bug hunt forum, we might or might not have this, it's all up to Mark and Dan, but there will certainly be a Help/Support forum where we can conduct our business in

so are you guys in?

Comment

I'm in. I only need to find somewhere in Sweden to get the game before I can get started.

Comment

Well the bug may not be there now, but I am just trying to get ahead of the race in getting that free T-shirt
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Provost Harrison

hehe cool
                      how does this sound, you get 3 points if you are the first person to post a bug that later gets verified and you get 2 points if you are the first person who verifies a bug...however a person cannot verify their own bugs

so using this thread as an example (this thread is certainly not the official bug list, it is just a sign up thread for bug hunters)

since you were the first person to post about the editor screen bug you would get three points and since grampos verified it he would get two points

also i will award a free point if the bug is especially nasty...like if you hit alt tab and it erases your hard drive or something

Comment

I'm in for bughunter, but don't need tee shirt. give any of my points to the person who verifies the bugs.
                        The greatest generals in history didn't use war simulations, they just played Civ 2

An old saying goes "For every language a man knows, he is that many times a man"
                        Therefore, George Bush is half a man.

Comment

Provost: It looks like the corner of the city has been sheared off by the unit sitting next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            I would like you to look at the two cities below, both being large and possessing the same graphic. However look at the bottom left side of Oil Springs. You will notice that the bottom left hand diagonal part of the city icon has been shaved off if you compare it to Tonawanda Is this perhaps the first bug? Do I get a T-shirt for that?

(it's worth a try )
                            All i can say is... WOW!
                            And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Well I am king of the pedants and have eyes like a hawk. But yeah, either way it is a bug, although by now, it may be a fixed one, but remember, this is quite a late screenshot, only just before the game went gold, so I may be on a winner. Although it is hardly what I would consider a serious problem
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X