No announcement yet.

Four Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has anyone seen any evidence of stacking?

Originally posted by Jaybe

Comments, anyone?
    That was neat thinking.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Crouchback
      I have this terrible feeling that Civ 3 is going to be like SMAC where there was no indication of how many of your own troops are on a tile until they're clicked on. There is a clip from the trailer vid that seems to show only one spearman until they're right clicked on and then options for several units appear. All of which is going to be a real test of memory!

David
      Arg!

Regarding the issue of artillery in an army: I would think that would be pretty useless: no HP to pool, and no benefit of ranged combat due to the presence of direct-contact units in the army. So I guesstimate that artillery is not going to be part of an army in this way.

Comment

Re: Four Questions...

Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
        1) Will workers be able to build airbases in Civ3?
        Nope. There's nowhere on the tech tree showing it. Yet there is for planting forests and building railroads so you can bet there's not pretty safely.

2) Do you have to build a unit called "Army" to be able to form an army, or is that "Army" unit in the screenshot just an ordinary cavalry with new animation?

You can create units ( a kind of transport type thing ) to put your armies in by turning your great leader into one or building one with your military academy. Only three units can go in an army ( four once you've bult your pentagon ) and you can only have one army for every four cities. No one who doesn't have the game is sure of the exact mechanics of it but that's it in a nutshell.

3) Can you put different types of units in the same army (e.g. can you make an army with a Cavalry, a Cannon, and a Musketmen)?

"Of course" - Dan Magha

4) If you can mix different unit types in an army, is it beneficial to have units that can bombard and units with strong attack (e.g. Catapults and Knights) in the same army as it was in Call to Power 2, or is it better to just have an army of good attackers and no bombarders (e.g. all Swordsmen)?
        Well I quote Dan M again when I say "Oh course" to the different unit types. As to what is better we'll have to see just how it works and then do lots of experimentation.

And can I say for all the others that artillery units WILL be useable outside an army.
        A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Faboba,

Where did you find this info?
          Ex Fide Vive
          Try my new mod and tell me what you think. I will be revising it per suggestions. Nine Governments Mod

Comment

Most of these questions have been answered by the most updated FAQ on the Civ3 website.

1) Most likely you can't make airbases.

2) You have to build a unit called "Army" to form an army, or use a great leader.

3) You can mix different unit types most likely, but no artillery units can be in an army.

4) See 3.
            Ex Fide Vive
            Try my new mod and tell me what you think. I will be revising it per suggestions. Nine Governments Mod

Comment

For number 3 read definite. As Dan said somewhere, probably on the topic discussing last weeks screenshot of the week, armies move at the rate of the slowest unit. Therefore different ones in the army.

Comment

Re: Four Questions...

I got this info from Dan, screen shots, offical releases and a bit of god-damn common sense / initiative.

The airbases are either -

Not in the game - 70% chance
                Allowed by a wonder - 18 % chance.
                Stuck in the game at the last minute - 10%
                Available right from the ancient age - 2%

And has been revealed recently artillery units cannot be in an army meaning units but in an army must be -

Land units.
                NOT non-combatant
                NOT artillery units.
                A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Re: Re: Four Questions...

And has been revealed recently artillery units cannot be in an army meaning units but in an army must be -

Land units.
                  NOT non-combatant
                  NOT artillery units.
                  It makes sense for armies to be only combatant units, although i still have a problem with them not being able to be made of sea units, but oh well

Originally posted by Faboba
                  I got this info from Dan, screen shots, offical releases and a bit of god-damn common sense / initiative.

The airbases are either -

Not in the game - 70% chance
                  Allowed by a wonder - 18 % chance.
                  Stuck in the game at the last minute - 10%
                  Available right from the ancient age - 2%
                  why wouldn't airbases be in, and why would they require a wonder. Airbases can still increase the ability of your airunits. And why the hell would they require a wonder

really a 2% chance of being able to build one from teh begining of the game, i would give it a .01% chance
                  Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Originally posted by Crouchback
                    I have this terrible feeling that Civ 3 is going to be like SMAC where there was no indication of how many of your own troops are on a tile until they're clicked on. There is a clip from the trailer vid that seems to show only one spearman until they're right clicked on and then options for several units appear. All of which is going to be a real test of memory!

David
                    in civ2, there was at least the doubled shield when you had more than one unit on a square. CTP did one better (for once) and listed the number of units in a stack with a little number next to it.

They should have something to help us out....
                    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
                    X