Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trifna

lol

I wonder what's the next phase... Sidatchous? Strategical gardening? Insect tactical war? I'm sure it'll be another original game.

By the way... I was woundering. Is it normal having spasms when thinking of Civ III?...
    Actually, there already is an Insect Tactical War game called Sim Ants (sames guys who made Sim City), so it wouldn't be an original game

I couldn't have spasms when thinking about Civ III, I think about it all the time!

What exactly is Colonization and where could I still get it?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
      What exactly is Colonization and where could I still get it?
      This thread is about we want Apolyton to cover Colonization.
      You can still buy the Windows version, but the DOS version is better, and I don't know if you can get that anywhere.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I found a brief description of Colonization I wrote a while ago.

Sid Meier's Colonization

Colonization is a bit different from the Civilization series. It has anyway been important for the development of Civilization. The main difference between Civilization and Colonization is that Colonization has more micromanagement then Civilization and covers a shorter period of history.

Colonization starts in the Colonial Age, AD 1492 and lasts until 19th century with one or two turns a year. You are put in the role of Viceroy of the New World and your mission is to colonize the New World, in the west, in the name of your king and country.

Colonization has a well-developed resource system and each colonist (citizen) can be assigned to work outside the colony (as in Civilization) or in any of the buildings in the colony. If the colonists are working outside the colony the are obtaining raw materials or food. The raw materials may be used inside the colony to produce other resources. A building without any colonist working in it produce nothing, or very little. To earn money you have to sell resources to your mother nation or the natives.

Each colonist represents a populationpoint, which can be taken out of a colony at any time and found new colonies. The colonists can have different special abilities. One can be better on farming, another a better carpenter.

All your soldiers are armed colonists, and can therefor found new colonies. If a soldier lose a combat it becomes a lower level and colonists are captured if attacked by another European power.

Hope this hepls you.

Comment

After Sid Golf, it's got to be Sid Shuffleboard and then Sid Peanuckle.

Sad thing is, I'm actually looking forward to the Sid Cruise series. None of us are getting any younger.

David
          "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Re: I found a brief description of Colonization I wrote a while ago.

Originally posted by Gramphos

Sid Meier's Colonization

Colonization is a bit different from the Civilization series. It has anyway been important for the development of Civilization. The main difference between Civilization and Colonization is that Colonization has more micromanagement then Civilization and covers a shorter period of history.

Colonization starts in the Colonial Age, AD 1492 and lasts until 19th century with one or two turns a year. You are put in the role of Viceroy of the New World and your mission is to colonize the New World, in the west, in the name of your king and country.

Colonization has a well-developed resource system and each colonist (citizen) can be assigned to work outside the colony (as in Civilization) or in any of the buildings in the colony. If the colonists are working outside the colony the are obtaining raw materials or food. The raw materials may be used inside the colony to produce other resources. A building without any colonist working in it produce nothing, or very little. To earn money you have to sell resources to your mother nation or the natives.

Each colonist represents a populationpoint, which can be taken out of a colony at any time and found new colonies. The colonists can have different special abilities. One can be better on farming, another a better carpenter.

All your soldiers are armed colonists, and can therefor found new colonies. If a soldier lose a combat it becomes a lower level and colonists are captured if attacked by another European power.

Hope this hepls you.
            Thanks, Gramphos, that helps a lot. Maybe I'll buy the game. When was it released. And are the fundamentals of the game still the same as Civ?
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yes....

Sid train simulator
              Sid kitchen simulator
              Sid hot-dog sales man simulator
              Sid Sid's simulator
              Win98 ERROR 009: Press any key to continue or any other to quit
              f**k the f****n f*****s!
              I'am realy enjoing not talking to you...
              let's not talk again REAL soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Mankind
                Sid Sid's simulator
                Wow, say that three times fast

and shouldn't it be Sid's Sid Simulator?

Sid's Sid Simulator
                Sid's Sid Simulator
                Sid's Sid Simulator

I would love to be Sid Meier...

Comment

Re: Re: I found a brief description of Colonization I wrote a while ago.

Thanks, Gramphos, that helps a lot. Maybe I'll buy the game. When was it released. And are the fundamentals of the game still the same as Civ?
                  IIRC it was released in 1994.
                  The goal is to become an independent state, and you war against your mother country at the end of the game. In the beginning of the game you war with natives and the three other colonial forces.
                  Trade and production is anyway the most important thing in the game as you need it to get money.
                  Instead of advances you get founding fathers to your congress that do you good.
                  I've played it so long that I take it as a part of the Civilization series, but it's hard for me to say whether anyone else would say it is close connected to civ or not.
                  I kind of like all that extra micromanagement, when a Colony miss a vital resource you could move it to that colony by ship or by wagon train. You also have to have colonists in each building for it to produce something. So the main difference is the micromannagement and the timescale.

Could anyone else that has played Colonization help me out with more info?

Comment

Hey sounds even more fun! Trade is awesome if done correctly
                    '94... so the graphics aint so hot? Doesn't matter to me.

Is there a list of coutries you can be colonies of?

Comment

England, France, Spain and the Netherlands.

Comment

That one was easy. (Only four, but each have a specific ability)
                        English (Faster immigration)
                        French (Better relations with natives)
                        Spanish (attack bonus against native villages)
                        Dutch (lower taxes)

Comment

Dutch (lower taxes)
                          Yeah, it was the first appearance of civ-specific abilitities!

After a few games as the English, I always played as the Dutch. Some 'quick strategy guides' claimed that the Spanish were also an interesting civ to play with. OTOH, I never saw anyone praising the French.

BTW, Colonization´s trade system was great!
                          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

korean are dumb

Comment

Originally posted by Akillias
                              korean are dumb
                              Of course it looks none too smart when your noun's number does not match your verb tense.

How about Sid's Apolyton? Hopefully it would ship with multiplayer since an AI could never be as engaging on the forums as a real human could be. Then we could all discuss how to win at Sid's Apolyton on the real Apolyton.
                              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Dutch (lower taxes)
                                This reminds me of the recent thread about horses being in North America or not.

I've just remembered last of the mochicans and I'd just like to voice my admiration for the native american's adaptivity, after only a century of European colinisation the Huron had adopted the french language and could speak it fluently. This to me shows remarkable learning, worthing of being called a science civ ......... ( kidding....... kind of )
                                A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                                X