Clear All

• INTERESTING New Screenshots with ICS implications

from the new gamespot preview

Indian City of Madras

City view of Captured city of Madras

take a careful look at the foodbox in the second screenshot

size 4 city, no granary...

SIZE 20 FOODBOX!

what does this mean for ICS? and this is most likely a screenshot from the final version of the game

EDIT:

btw the purple women are most likely Indian Nationals under Roman Occupation...but what is the princess (harem girl) looking citizen? it looks like smoke is coming off of the yellow ball to me...so could she be a member of the resistance or is she a happy person or what?

Maybe they moved the 40 food box from size 3 to size 5.

Interesting though
    A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

I was thinking that the women in the veil might be an entertainer; but because the other three women look angry, the entertainer doesn't seem to be generating enough happiness to keep the locals from unrest.

As far as the twenty food slots: Yeah, what is up with that? I thought new population was supposed to cost 40 food without a granary. Must be something else factoring in.

Comment

Re: INTERESTING New Screenshots with ICS implications

Originally posted by korn469
        take a careful look at the foodbox in the second screenshot
        size 4 city, no granary...

SIZE 20 FOODBOX!
        Ah, I believe you are mistaken. The "20" is for the number of turns it will take to build a Spearman.

what does this mean for ICS? and this is most likely a screenshot from the final version of the game
        Irrelevent since it's a 20 turn build queue and not the granery/storage. The 20-hold granery/storage is located just left of the build queue - and it's empty. As a matter of fact, it states right above it "-Zero Growth-". The city only gains 2 food per turn as it's setup in the snapshot.

EDIT:

btw the purple women are most likely Indian Nationals under Roman Occupation...but what is the princess (harem girl) looking citizen? it looks like smoke is coming off of the yellow ball to me...so could she be a member of the resistance or is she a happy person or what?
        I believe the 3 purple women are "unhappy" citizens after the city falls. The 1 light blue woman is a "happy" citizen.

The "smoke coming off a yellow ball" is not a ball at all, but rather a coin, suggesting either luxury tax, upkeep, or some kind of cost or income; but I'm not to sure.

Well, that's what I make out of it anyway.

Comment

ICS: Baby I'm Back!

well if they the size 40 foodbox doesn't hit until size five, think of how quickly cities will be able to grow to size 4 they will need 60 food compared 90 food in civ2

also Anunikoba the veiled girl could be an entertainer, because the Indian Nationals are smiling so i guess they are happy...but i thought that nationals of other civs were always unhappy...it also doesn't look like they are working tho, so why isn't the city starving?

we've got questions...now where is dan with the answers

Comment

Wittlich

Ah, I believe you are mistaken. The "20" is for the number of turns it will take to build a Spearman.
            under -zero growth- there are 20 food shaped containers, count them yourself

Irrelevent since it's a 20 turn build queue and not the granery/storage. The 20-hold granery/storage is located just left of the build queue - and it's empty. As a matter of fact, it states right above it "-Zero Growth-". The city only gains 2 food per turn as it's setup in the snapshot.
            ahh so you know where the granary storage area is already
            like i said count it

Comment

Actually, when I reread my post prior to submitting it, I thought - humm, it looks like I'm confusing the build queue with the food storage. But I explain myself in the second part. So I figured "what the hey" let me just send it as is and see if everyone reads my entire post or just the first part....That didn't take long!
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Anyone notice the colonies or the lack of them?

I looked at the map-pictures and quite soon I noticed no colonies present. So are colonies "a good idea that didn't work" or what?

Comment

Good observation Jeje2. It is rather strange that there isn't even one colony shown...
                  "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                  "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Wittlich

how funny

also i went over to civfanatics and got these two screen shots

they are both rather old, but carefully (this means you wittlich ) count the food boxes in those cities

first pic: size 6 city, size 20 foodbox
                    second pic: size 12 city, size 40 foodbox

i am guessing that cities change from a size 20 foodbox to a size 40 foodbox when you build the population lifting building, which is hospitals iirc

but what are the implications of a size 20 foodbox for ICS? especially since granaries work like they do in Civ2

EDIT:

also why is the city of Madras not starving? if you look at the older screenshots it shows you when citizens are working, and it appears that none of the citizens in Madras are working

also i think i figured something out, the green shoe thing with smoke coming out of it is the button you click to change what you are building
                    Last edited by korn469; October 18, 2001, 00:59.

Comment

Well, if a size 12 city takes twice at long to grow as does a size 6 city, can't you have several size 6 cities going by the time it would take you to get one size 20 city?

But I guess by pulling out the settler...So in other words, is it the optimal ICS strategy to build a a few 'breeder cities' without hospitals so you can keep cranking out settlers?

What am I misunderstanding here, Professor Korn?
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Yeah yin- something doesn't sound right.

And I looked at those nationals again- they do look they are smiling, but I before I thought they were angry (see their mean eyebrows?).

Comment

my internet froze up, but anyway

So in other words, is it the optimal ICS strategy to build a a few 'breeder cities' without hospitals so you can keep cranking out settlers?
                          yeap, father beast was the first to pick up on this, so unless firaxis has some anti breeder city policy then a city between 5-7 would be best for building settlers

but not only that with the low food requirements population will grow much faster in civ3 it will take 120 food to grow a city from size 1 to size 7, compared to 270 food to grow a city from size 1-7 in civ2

hehe here's a new strategy for you wanna be Stalins
                          i'm naming this the

korn's commie rush

ok in the communist government, build several cities without hospitals and get their pop close to the limit, make sure you have a full police garrison then start work on a nuke (or other expensive unit) then once you can get close enough used forced labor to reduce the size of the city to 1 and build the nuke...let the city rapidly grow back (60 food with a granary) and repeat

the garrison will keep them in line and you should be able to quickly churn out nukes (unless forced labor isn't very effective)

Comment

Quick, Markos! CLOSE THE THREAD...KORN IS ALREADY BREAKING THE GAME! LOL! Father Beast beat me to it, eh? Bastard...
                            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

but Yin you forgot about

Jeff Briggs: The final design of Civilization III profited in myriad ways from the Herculean play-test effort.
                              hehe and here i thought that they only used people from firaxis...but i know they wouldn't have let something like ICS slip into Civ3
                              right guys?

Comment

Working...
                              X