Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have to build all the trade route roads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope the AI is smart enough to built roads within it’s own borders.

at UberKurX's new avatar.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

We are going to have to hope the AIs will be smart enough to build colonies and roads thereto. We will NOT be able to build roads inside their territories according to the Civ III site.
      Is this correct? I know that you won't be able to use roads (or railroads) in foreign territory, but I don't recall any restriction on building roads in foreign territory. So if the AI doesn't build roads in your direction, you should be able to go over there with your workers and do it yourself. As someone else mentioned, workers in foreign territory do not violate treaties.

I am very intrigued by this harbors issue. I agree that if simply building a harbor enables you to trade with any other civ you've encountered with a harbor, then the harbor "connection" will be so easy as to render the road "connection" a waste of time. A somewhat better requirement might be you have a harbor, the foreign civ has a harbor, and you've fully explored a sea route from your harbor to their harbor.
      Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

the harbors thing

Since we know that there will be 3 levels of water (coastal, seas, and oceans), I am wondering how that will affect trade.

For example, if you are the first to brave the seas on the earth map and cross from afrioa to the americas and make contact with the aztecs, will you be able to trade with them, or do you have to wait until they have deep water capabilities?

If you do have to wait, can you trade techs to facilitate their trade ability?

what are the limits of what you can do without a road/harbor/airport connection?

I suppose I could build a city on their land solely for the purpose of trading with them, but if they've filled up the land....

man, I can already see myself as a trading magnate
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

The little question you were afraid to ask!

Civ A has a road to Civ B, Civ B has a road to Civ C, Civ A has no road to Civ C. No harbours, no airports.
          Does A can trade with C? Nobody OWN the roads, I think... because you can build them wherever you want - even in foreign territory.
          Can B interfere?
          If not, when you build a road, you build it for EVERYONE.
          The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

I've asked it!

Originally posted by Yoleus
            Civ A has a road to Civ B, Civ B has a road to Civ C, Civ A has no road to Civ C. No harbours, no airports.
            Does A can trade with C? Nobody OWN the roads, I think... because you can build them wherever you want - even in foreign territory.
            Can B interfere?
            If not, when you build a road, you build it for EVERYONE.
            We don't know. I would hope that if I stand astride the only way through the mountains to the civs on the other side, that no civ that doesn't have a "right of passage" treaty would be able to trade through me. so I could get rich being the trading dude.

That is of course, if, IF, I can resell goods sold to me by another civ.
            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
            X