Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French leader spelt wrong

Ok
    I've been taking French for 12 years. I know my stuff. In French, Joan of Arc is called Jeanne D'Arc. In English, its Joan of Arc. But in Firaxian, its Joan D'Arc. Either do one or the other, but not both.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Re: French leader spelt wrong

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
    Ok
    I've been taking French for 12 years. I know my stuff. In French, Joan of Arc is called Jeanne D'Arc. In English, its Joan of Arc. But in Firaxian, its Joan D'Arc. Either do one or the other, but not both.
    And you mis-spelled "spelled"
    It is quite likely they wanted to combine the English spelling with a French "flavor". OTH, maybe they goofed.

Comment

And you mis-spelled "spelled"
      hehehe
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

and the German leader looks like a combination of Bismarck and Hindenburg. so?

Comment

and the German leader looks like a combination of Bismarck and Hindenburg. so?
          Were not talking about faces and leader graphics. Were talking about grammar.

Comment

are you sure it's grammar and not something like...err... syntax?

Comment

re : Jeanne D'Arc

They could have just called her John Dark like it's pronounced
              A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

[Pedant mode]

Actually, "spelt" is in the Oxford English dictionary as an acceptable spelling. British vs American English?

Perhaps they should have called her "La Pucelle", or even "The Maid of Orleans"...

Comment

Am I wrong in assuming this can be easily edited?
                  In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                  In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Actually...I'm against the translation of names...

Comment

Me too. I like Jeanne d'Arc (I think the "d" in d'Arc is lowercase... if you want to get specific).
                      Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
                      "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Originally posted by GodSpawn
                        [Pedant mode]

Actually, "spelt" is in the Oxford English dictionary as an acceptable spelling. British vs American English?

Perhaps they should have called her "La Pucelle", or even "The Maid of Orleans"...
                        Spelt is definitely an acceoptable if not the preferred way to indicate the past tense of spell.

On the Joan issue, I agree. One or the other but not both. I would prefer all original spellings in the language of origin, as I would for cities as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Zopper
                          Actually...I'm against the translation of names...
                          so will we see Otto Fürst von Bismarck and/or Paul von Beneckendorf und Hindenburg as well then?

BTW, did you know Catherine the Great was German

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                            so will we see Otto Fürst von Bismarck and/or Paul von Beneckendorf und Hindenburg as well then?
                            Fine by me...I don't play with the Germans anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by jsw363
                              Spelt is definitely an acceptable if not the preferred way to indicate the past tense of spell.
                              I stand corrected. I finally found a dictionary that at least had it in there. Thank you, perhaps I will try using it.

Comment

Working...
                              X