Do rivers give access to resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote YES

Yes Gramphos, there seem to be no roads, only rivers. The two "resources" within the city radius are cattle, so they only provide extra food. Therefore, it does appear that rivers link cities to resources just like roads and harbors do.

Comment

You are the rightest Jaybe

/quote Yes Gramphos, there seem to be no roads, only rivers. The two "resources" within the city radius are cattle, so they only provide extra food. Therefore, it does appear that rivers link cities to resources just like roads and harbors do. /quote

I was a bit lost but you are right Jaybe, the two sources are cattle. Spice and "Woodchuck" (I don't know how to say it in English) could be goods the city is trading from other cities, perhaps, in exchange of money.

That is the reason why there is no strategic sources on the top of the screenshot. Do you remember there is two kinds of sources? strategic, like silk, oil, aluminium, and others like cattle wich increment food, shields and commerce. I wonder if strategic ones also increment them.

If you look carefully, the cattle more on the top produce more food than the lowest one, and they are in the same kind of terrain type. I spent some time to notice the river but, ... What happens to the river?, it doesn't go through the squares, it goes by the side of the squares so the two adjacent squares of the river gain the profit. What a new, strange and amuzing change in rivers, isn't it?
      «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

Comment

Re: You are the rightest Jaybe

Originally posted by Kramsib
        I was a bit lost but you are right Jaybe, the two sources are cattle. Spice and "Woodchuck" (I don't know how to say it in English) could be goods the city is trading from other cities, perhaps, in exchange of money.
        You can't trade without a trade network. Unless it is a bug with this old shot rivers must connect cities in the trade network.

What happens to the river?, it doesn't go through the squares, it goes by the side of the squares so the two adjacent squares of the river gain the profit. What a new, strange and amuzing change in rivers, isn't it?

It was noticed a while back. It is a good change .
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

This change in rivers could have something to do with borders...... rivers are natural borders afterall, it would stand to reason that Sid would find some way of representing this. Also it is more representive of reality. Afterall look how the entire egyptian civilization was able to flourish with nothing but the nile providing fertility in the lower reaches.
          A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

I'm certain that those resources are being connected via the river. Firaxis would have never overlooked rivers as excellent transportation routes for trade and resources. This is not a bug, I'm certain of it. This is resource gather via rivers!

Excellent!!!
            Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
            "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Since CivI both roads as rivers form the transportation network, so I am quite convinced that would not suddenly change, nice to get the confirmation through that image.

In the same image I see that the river has its spring in the mountains west of Thebes, looks quite realistic!

Comment

Cool feature, you don't have to waste time to build roads. Another point: rivers cannot be destroyed like roads.

Comment

Can (advanced) workers create rivers like in SMAC?
                  Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
                    I'm certain that those resources are being connected via the river. Firaxis would have never overlooked rivers as excellent transportation routes for trade and resources. This is not a bug, I'm certain of it. This is resource gather via rivers!

Excellent!!!
                    The fact that makes me concerned is that the official FAQ says nothing of rivers as a transportation network.

Comment

Rivers are INBETWEEN squares so they cant be used as tranportation, they might even be a obsticle like in E.U.
                      "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Originally posted by splangy
                        Rivers are INBETWEEN squares so they cant be used as tranportation, they might even be a obsticle like in E.U.
                        A nice, stategical and hopefully true observation
                        The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

Originally posted by splangy
                          I remember hearing they still give you a trade bonus on all surrounding squares though.

Comment

Can (advanced) workers create rivers like in SMAC?
                            Presumably they can't, because CIV 3 does not go into the future and we cant create rivers now (or at least not without a tremendous waste of energy).
                            "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

One minor thing... We all accepted the extra trade/commerce on river tyles as a demonstration of the trading benifits of a nearby river, however if we're using rivers to send tradegoods doesn't it kind of negate this?

UPDATE:FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T BEEN LISTENING, A STARTING CITY ON A RIVER IS NOW EVEN MORE USEFUL.......
                              A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Faboba
                                UPDATE:FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T BEEN LISTENING, A STARTING CITY ON A RIVER IS NOW EVEN MORE USEFUL.......
                                Do rivers still give +50% defense? or is that gone with the rivers located in the edge of the tiles?

Comment

Working...
                                X