Do rivers give access to resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do rivers give access to resources?

This screen shows that the city have access to two resources, and obviously it is only connected to a river, no roads. Can we from that make the conclusion that rivers work on connecting you with the trade network?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Could the city have been bulit on one?
    The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiva
      Could the city have been bulit on one?
      Maybe, but not on two. and will the resource stay if you build on it, or will it be destroyed?

Comment

Don't know about resources, but check out this screenshot .

I am absolutely convinced that river/deserts are excellent food production sites. A lush green flood plain and a wheat bonus. It has to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
          I am absolutely convinced that river/deserts are excellent food production sites. A lush green flood plain and a wheat bonus. It has to be true.
          I think yo are right. This is excellent.
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            If there is any realism in the use of terrain resources then this should be true.

David
            "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Somebody hijacked my thread
              This thread is about resources, not about food production. And yes it should be true.

What do you think? Are rivers links in the trade network?

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                It would make sense! But who knows...

Comment

Vgriph: there are no strategic resources on the top left, but it does have beavers? and spice?
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

But it could be that the resources are under the citizens working the field being gathered without the aid of roads. Yes, I know that isn't supposed to work, but there resources on the tiles being worked.

Dan the Man said this was a beta picture, so could be a mistake or something.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                      Somebody hijacked my thread
                      This thread is about resources, not about food production. And yes it should be true.

yes
                      And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Incidentally, judging from that screenshot, it seems to suggest that once you found a city you have "explored" the surrounding city radius, like in CtP/2, and unlike Civ2 where you had to move the unit all round to get the best use of land.
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Did anyone also notice that 2 of the garrison units have little happy faces next to them, which seem to be the same happy faces of the 2 luxuries. Do luxuries make units happy? Maybe the happy faces represent free support. Perhaps, some luxuries increase happiness, while others increase free support.

In another screenshot, we can clearly see a happy face next to the citizen. But in this one, the happy face from the luxury is next to the military unit. What is the explanation?
                          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                            Did anyone also notice that 2 of the garrison units have little happy faces next to them, which seem to be the same happy faces of the 2 luxuries.
                            I assumed that was just the usual "police" effect of troops garrisoned in the city, as with all the other Civ games. Hence the smilies are next to the luxuries in that picture.

Things that make people happy.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Crouchback

I assumed that was just the usual "police" effect of troops garrisoned in the city, as with all the other Civ games. Hence the smilies are next to the luxuries in that picture.

Things that make people happy.

David
                              You are right. silly me. I guess I was just reading too much into it!

Comment

Working...
                              X