Pop-ups shmopups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop-ups shmopups!

'At E3, you describe a slimmed down interface with significantly less information screens to view. How has this changed Civ III? Is it inspire quicker or easier play? Will the stat buffs be satisfied?

Jeff: The interface has been streamlined to keep players immersed in the beautiful world we’ve created in the game and cut down on game interruptions - like the popups in previous Civs. We broke all popups into three categories. Those localized to an area, but require no user input, now appear on the map itself, near the area of focus. Those that were not localized to an area, but still didn't require user interaction became advisor messages. The last kind, those that require some user interaction (such as a picking a new advance to research), still stop the game. The boon of this system is that approximately 2/3rds of the game stopping information windows no longer stop the game. It'll be appreciated immediately by anyone familiar with the series.'

[More from the German site interview of Firaxis team.]

I can't tell you how appreciative I am of this. I for one had to shut down ALL pop-up options in CivII and Alpha Centauri becuase of their annoyingness. But now it looks I and others like me will be able to take advantage of these critical messages without critically annoying pop-ups.

Good work F-team

at first i thought f was for fu** up team but i get it now. it's late here

anyway this is good news, sounds like another positive change in the game

go f-team yee haw
    Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

a definant time saver especially for MP games where lots of times the game halted just to tell you what you had built.... Now the MPer can have his turn without interuyptions and do micromanaging between turns as he should ...
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Civ 2 was especially annoying with the pop-ups in the late game. You would have to go to more than half your cities every turn to change their production orders. That was tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by Akron
          Civ 2 was especially annoying with the pop-ups in the late game. You would have to go to more than half your cities every turn to change their production orders. That was tedious.
          I should also point out that in Civ III, you can right click on cities in the map view and change production (among other things) right there. This is incredibly handy, especially when administering large empires.

Dan
          Dan Magaha
          Firaxis Games, Inc.
          --------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

I should also point out that in Civ III, you can right click on cities in the map view and change production (among other things) right there. This is incredibly handy, especially when administering large empires.

Dan
            Wow, I think I'm gonna like this!

Comment

Dan
              That's a real time saver, well done
              It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

It just gets better and better
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Dan
                  would you know if this can be achieved by control-clicking on the mac?
                  Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Dan
                    what about from city overview screen? you know, whatever screen it is in civ3 where you can see a listing of all your cities and their status? can u right-click to change production fromt that?
                    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Originally posted by Akron
                      Late in the game when I got flush with cash I would rush buy the production in all my cities. I made a macro to do it 12 at a time, but the next turn when I had to change all the production orders it took ten minutes!

Comment

Wow, both pieces of news sound great. The first piece of news mentioned by Anunikoba from an interview has been stated many times by Firaxis before, though.
                        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Well then how will you get important messages?

Will it be like in CTP where you had those message buttons to click on the side of the screen?
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Lorizael:

There were 3 types of pop-ups, which have been changed in civ3. Now the important messages will either:

Appear directly as an effect on the map (fireworks for WLTKD)
                            Appear as an advisor message
                            Appear as a popup

This will keep the amount of info, but reduce the number of popups.

Comment

What a time saver

Quenes should help as well, so now we can change production straight from the map, have quenes and reduction of those annoying pop-ups that took forever to get through Yeessss.
                              Did i miss any time savers
                              Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Working...
                              X