Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, some realism about the AI

from the gamespy article, from soren johnson:

The AI has been totally reworked. We started from scratch. We stretched out the difficulty levels. Chieftain is easier than it was in Civ II and Deity is now harder. Does the AI cheat? Yes, but sometimes in favor of the player! Below Prince level it cheats for the player, and above Prince level it cheats against the player. At Prince level there is no cheating.

Right now, no one at Firaxis can beat the AI at
    Deity level, though we certainly expect players
    to find ways to do so within a few months of the
    game being released.
    This is a bit more realistic than the civ2 form, in which they had somebody making sure that "deity level could actually be beaten". this is also a nod to the endless creativity available to TBS players, that we can beat almost anything, given enough time to consider the matter.

I appreciate the honesty that the computer will cheat. I DO hope they've cut it down some , though.

the thought that nobody at Firaxis can beat the AI at deity level is great, since if they could, a lot of apolytoners would be bored with the game before any MP would be forthcoming.

She also (soren is a "she", isn't she?) said that the old easy win of ICS just won't work.

all in all, I'm pleased
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

wow, a she that plays civ. mmmmmmmmm
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

that cheat formula has always been used though

Shield boxes are smaller above prince for the AI, and larger for under....this isnt anything new.
      I see the world through bloodshot eyes
      Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Just beat me to this post FB.

here's the link to the original article, for convenience sake:http://www.gamespy.com/gamespin/october01/gamespin26/

Surely, the AI will be much improved. Soren, from what I have heard, has a nack and background for AI programming.

But hopefully, eventually, this:"though we certainly expect players to find ways to do so within a few months of the
        game being released": will no longer be true with the next generation of dynamic, learning AI. (if there can be such a thing)

Comment

Sorry to break your illusion, but Soren is not a "she"...
          Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Soren is male. Those who have seen one of the preview videos know this.

And there will always be critics who will complain that there isn't a strong AI that doesn't cheat. But I don't think this is possible given current technology. We are many years away from creating human-like AIs.

It takes a supercomputer to beat the best human in chess, and the difference there is that there very few variables to consider compared to computer games such as civ. There are just too many things to consider.

Comment

i dont care how hardcore the AI is, it's still NOTHING compared to a human player.

i take that back, a hard AI is a fun addition to a MP game, much like barbarians.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Well, at least you know the MP situation now, UberSid
                Now all you need to find out is when the MP part is coming out.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Nobody at Firaxis can beat the AI at Deity?

That doesn't prove anything - same team of braniacs left Multiplayer out!
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

And the person that is criticizing them is the same person who has dedicated his life to posting 10,000 times in an online forum and playing a 1995 game.
                    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

That kicked ass brain damaged

Comment

hey, i still play civ2. why not? it's a fun game!
                        -connorkimbro
                        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Ho ho ho

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
                          And the person that is criticizing them is the same person who has dedicated his life to posting 10,000 times in an online forum and playing a 1995 game.
                          Did the aliens forget to remove your anal probe?
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Yes playing Civ II is still fun. Long live the horse!

Comment

did anyone seriously believe AI wont be cheating?

Comment

Working...
                              X