Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Ordering or Buying off of the Shelf -- Which is Faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Ordering or Buying off of the Shelf -- Which is Faster?

I'm wondering if anyone in Canada has tried pre-ordering the game. I have access to a Electronics Boutique store, and they usually have the game a couple of days after release, but I'm wondering if I would get the game sooner (maybe even on the release date) if I pre-ordered it.
    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

The store.

My experience in Toronto is that you are better off waiting for it to hit the store. Pre-ordering might be a win if you're in the States, but I haven't had much luck with it. There are few things as distressing as seeing the package on store shelves and not knowing when your copy is going to show up.

If the game ships out October 30 from EB's distribution centre, it will probably be in Toronto EB stores by November 1 or 2. It might even be here October 31, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Anyway, I'm locked in: I returned Pool of Radiance (shudder) and applied the credit as a deposit toward my Cookie Tin Edition preorder.

Comment

I have heard horror stories when it comes to mail pre-orders. I suggest you find the hottest software retailer in your area, and just wait at the front door on the day of release.

Comment

Yeah, as all the online retailers in this country are still saying the game is not going to be released until december, I am more inclined to just go into the city centre in the morning and buy it in person, and drive back at 80mph through busy Hull streets to get back home as soon as I can with my little darling
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

argh. why do i live in this deceivingly metropolitan city. phew

Comment

and drive back at 80mph through busy Hull streets
            That's, what, normal traffic speed in Hull?

Comment

1. What is the rumored release date in England?.
              2. I'll be in College until December 21st (I think) and it's a 20 minute walk from there to the Trafford Centre (my local EB, HMV and GAME etc..) I just don't feel like going there straight after Chrimbo, It'll be packed. Even when it's not packed I always seem to get stuck behind a slow coach. GET OUT OF MY F*CKING WAY I NEED TO GET TO A GAMES STORE NOW. I only go there to get something or watch a film, most people just wander round aimlessly. MOVE MOVE MOVE
              "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
              "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

Comment

i've never had to wait when pre-ordering at my closest electronics store, and picking it up there. they always have it ready to go on the day of release.
                -connorkimbro
                "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Johnson

That's, what, normal traffic speed in Hull?
                  It depends on whether the clubs are open or not, if the two universities are in term, and which direction the wind is blowing (it's always blowing in Hull). Lived there for two years and hated it, apart from The Room.

But I don't expect to get my copy from Amazon.co.uk for three days or so after release. Wish I had the time to find a shop.

David

BTW, Col Bigspear, the release date in the UK is the same as the US: 30th October. Confirmed in the gold announcement thread somewhere.
                  Last edited by Crouchback; October 10, 2001, 15:58.
                  "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

i ordered Tribes2 Rush delivery online, but FEDEX WENT ON STRIKE, AND IT TOOK 2 WEEKS TO GET HERE.
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Hahaha!

I think the good Provost means Hull, Quebec, not Kingston-upon-Hull, England. But I liked your response anyway.

Comment

Re: Hahaha!

I think the good Provost means Hull, Quebec, not Kingston-upon-Hull, England. But I liked your response anyway.
                        You mean they have a Hull as well as a Winnipeg, man that country is cursed.

But then so am I if amazon.co.uk stick to 28/12 as the UK release date, which is what they are still saying.

David
                        "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

doesnt provost live in england
                          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Pre-Ordering

Pre-Ordering, IMHO, is a sham. Publishers LOVE pre-orders because they can (and have to) charge you full price, so as not to damage their pricing relationships with their distributors.

They can and will promise you the moon about getting the product "before everyone else on your block". Don't believe it. From what I have seen on message boards for other games, people who pre-ordered games usually end up with the egg on their faces, so to speak. In the big scheme of things, you can't believe that a publisher values your 40 bucks more so than a customer like Best Buy, who may buy 20,000 copies in a single purchase. Don't hold your breath my friend--your copy is not priority one at the pre-order store.

MH

Comment

Re: Hahaha!

Nope, Crouchback is correct, I live in Kingston-upon-Hull, England.

And the speed limit the whole of the way back from my house is 30 or 40mph! The joke is that I will be speeding like a rally driver to get back to my house as soon as I can

Oh, and Crouchback, did you ever go to Spiders? I have only been to the Room once or twice, would like to go again but have no one to go with It's a lonely old life in Hull...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X