Embassies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embassies

Does anyone know how to create embassies in CIV3? I know that in CIV1 and 2 you had to build a diplomatic unit and send him to a city. Is that true in this game? Doing so tended to take a lot of time, and I can imagine that doing so in CIV3 with 16 civilizations would be very difficult and time consuming.
    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Well, there is now an espionage window to replace the spies and diplomats. I'd imagine it is done through there.

Comment

hrm, then it seems there is little or no effort to establish an embassy.

i rememeber reading in order to trade / ally you needed an embassy, and i was thinking how arduous a diplomat trip around the world could have been.

but now its a window, and all they have to do is accept i suppose.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Maybe it costs an amount of gold to send the diplomatic mission or something to that effect.

Comment

Maybe it costs a certain amount of gold, and better yet, maybe there are upkeep costs.
          Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
          "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

I'll bet its like trading with another civ...you need a road connection. Also, you need the writing advance to make deals with other civs.

Comment

upkeep costs? bah f*ck the new trade/diplomacy system. i need all my gold for WAR
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

It would also be nice if the espionage menu had a way to take their maps instead of having to get them to share them with you, that way you can see where all their forces are, so you're ready to crush them if your planning a war.

Comment

Re: Embassies

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin

Doing so tended to take a lot of time, and I can imagine that doing so in CIV3 with 16 civilizations would be very difficult and time consuming.
                  I think that the UN wonder will solve that problem
                  easily. But if that intelligence window is true, could somebody
                  tell us more? It would certainly make it easier to run your
                  own intelligence service, but it's more likely to be a part of the
                  diplomacy and bartering functions. But who knows, tells us more.
                  Last edited by Rasbelin; October 9, 2001, 02:02.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

From the out dated Firaxis FAQ:

Yes. To engage in diplomatic talks with another civ, you must first make contact with that civ. You can do this either by physically entering their territory or by trading another civ for contact with that civ. Other Civs may also seek you out by entering your territory. You also need to establish an embassy (granted by the writing technology) to be able to enter into agreements more advanced than simple peace treaties. To be able to enter into trade negotiations with other civs, you need a road connecting one of your cities to one of their cities. To exchange world maps, you need the technology of map making. Finally, you must be at peace with a Civ to tender any proposal other than a peace treaty.
                    So you just have to meet another civilisation and have knowledge of writing to establish an embassy, and a road connection to do trades.

Presumably a port or airport would allow deals with civilizations on other continents?

David
                    Last edited by Crouchback; October 8, 2001, 17:38.
                    "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

The thing that annoyed me (and my brother) about diplos in all the civ style games is that you automatically know what techs another civ has by having an embassy.

I hope that embassies don't tell you what technology a rival has,

If you want to reveal what techs you have in order to trade then it should be your decision.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Do you have the option of establishing an embassy or is it automatic? Because if it isn't, I can choose not to establish any embassies, nor allow any on my soil. Then I can declare war at will in democracy and not worry about those pesky peace treaties that get shoved down my throat.
                        Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Crouchback
                          From the out dated Firaxis FAQ:

So you just have to meet another civilisation and have knowledge of writing to establish an embassy, and a road connection to do trades.

Presumably a port or airport would allow deals with civilizations on other continents?

David
                          i din't think you can have an embassy while your at war with another civ either
                          Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Surely if u have an embassy in a foreign city you should be able to see the city view? That would be so cool.

Comment

Well it definitely seems like a very relevent question. Do you agree to an exchange of embassies with another power perhaps? Perhaps you have to pay for the construction of the embassy with gold or even resources. We will have to wait and see, but I am interested!
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X