Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On what level will you play your first game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JellyDonut
    Those of you who are planning on playing Deity right away: prepare to lose. Even if the new AI has an adequate grasp on the strategy of the new features, that is a tremendous advantage for it over you who have not yet become acquainted with them.
    General Civ2 strategies, slightly modified, will probably suffice in winning the game. As long as you expand quickly, attack neighbouring civs before they have time to grow into threats, etc. then you should have no problem.
    Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Executor

General Civ2 strategies, slightly modified, will probably suffice in winning the game. As long as you expand quickly, attack neighbouring civs before they have time to grow into threats, etc. then you should have no problem.
      man, i hope you are wrong...i want to incorperate new strategies

Comment

Deity - I play civ1 and 2 at the highest difficulty all the time, so it will be interesting to see if civ3 poses a harder challenge or not.

Comment

I will probably try first time on Prince. I don't want to be worried about significant trouble from the opposition when I play the first game; rather I want to get to grips with the game itself from beginning to end without struggling to survive and thus be able to explore the full features of the game. I will move up after this game very promptly though...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Probably prince, for the same reasons as PH.

Speaking of prince, I now have 300 posts! Yay!

Comment

General Civ2 strategies, slightly modified, will probably suffice in winning the game.
              I highly doubt that "slight modifications" can compensate for the new emphasis on culture, trade, diplomacy, borders, resources, etc. etc. etc.
              "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
              "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
                Probably prince, for the same reasons as PH.

Speaking of prince, I now have 300 posts! Yay!
                About time, I am just preparing to make the big push to Deity.

Really though, some people say they are going to play on Deity, but I think it would be better to play on a lower level and get more used to the game and it's mechanics and features where your opposition are quite relaxed and easy-going. I want to figure out what I am doing before I go head-to-head with fully potent opponents.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I highly doubt that "slight modifications" can compensate for the new emphasis on culture, trade, diplomacy, borders, resources, etc. etc. etc.
                  Not very difficult to build a few colonies. Temples and universites and all the buildings that are classified as cultural I built in Civ2 anyway, hence I don't have to do anything different. Diplomacy? What diplomacy? Declare war on the rest of the world. More challenging when they have a network of alliances against you.

True, some of my strategies will be delayed, like the population explosion (WLTKD) till I get the Wonder, and ICS will have to be modified, but I'm confident in my ability to defeat the AI.
                  Last edited by Executor; October 6, 2001, 22:00.
                  Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Chieftain, largest world map, British, 15 other civs. Just want to get a feel for the game.
                    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Diplomacy? What diplomacy? Declare war on the rest of the world.
                      It's kind of hard to wage war on the world when rubber and steel are nowhere in sight, or later in the game, uranium
                      "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                      "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

It's kind of hard to wage war on the world when rubber and steel are nowhere in sight, or later in the game, uranium
                        If I don't have enough territory to have rubber and steel by that time then I deserve to lose.

Comment

I thought about playing King, but ended up chieftain since I really don't knwo what differences does Civ III has.

You don't knwo waht to research or what units to build, so ti would be pretty tasteless to start on anything higher than prince only to get your ass kicked.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                            Prince, random 180x180 map with 16 Civs, I'm the Romans. All options ON.
                            Stuie! Lansdale PA?? Holy crap I probably live 2 minutes from you.
                            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I picked Chieftain since I don't want to feel pressured while I pick up the nuances of the game. It's what I did with Civ2 so why not.
                              "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
                              "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by orange
                                Stuie! Lansdale PA?? Holy crap I probably live 2 minutes from you.
                                Hah! I finally updated my profile with an exact location and someone actually notices! But orange, your profile says Newark DE........ a little more than 2 minutes.

But to the topic: The higher cost of building settlers (two population points instead of one) should also change our thinking from Civs 1&2. I'm hoping I can focus on quality instead of quantity when it comes to building cities. I for one dislike anything that comes close to an ICS strategy, preferring to actually develop my cities.

But to each his own....
                                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                                X