Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On what level will you play your first game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuie
    I for one dislike anything that comes close to an ICS strategy, preferring to actually develop my cities.
    IMHO, ICS is not a strategy; it's a cheat.
    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

KIng. That will be easy enough, and give me a chance to become accustomed to CivIII.

And ICS would be good if it was better balanced. Afterall, there are plenty of asian countries that have cities that are highly developed, but are just SPRAWLING with population.

Comment

ICS is unrealistic. Those Asian countries with huge populations are having a problem with it. The gov'ts had to resort to extreme measures to combat them (like the 1 child maximum in China or the whole Indira Gandhi scandal), but in Civ II biger always equals better.

Large empires geographically also have severe problems. It's what caused the Roman Empire to split up. Once an empire becomes too large, trans-empire communication becomes difficult, different parts of the empire start to become distinct in culture and eventually in ideals until the empire splits (although modern empires like China and the U.S. have the advantage of modern communications technology to keep them together).
        "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Comment

I agree JellyD. These are the types of things that Firaxis could use to balance ICS.

And just for the record, I never use ICS- I like my bases 'Deep and Wide'.

Comment

First I'll play on cheftain.
            Win98 ERROR 009: Press any key to continue or any other to quit
            f**k the f****n f*****s!
            I'am realy enjoing not talking to you...
            let's not talk again REAL soon...

Comment

Im gonna play on Prince level (which is also my rank ) so that im not going to be immediately crushed by the AI, but at the same time the AI wont reward me for using stupid tactics.
              In Civ 2, i played on the lower levels, and never defended cities with more than 1 unit. This allowed me to use almost all my resources for building other stuff. Obviously, on higher levels this didnt quite work One barbarian and my defender would be dead.

And a warning to those planning on trying the ICS strategy: The new 2-pop settlers will mean that a perfectionist civ will get land faster than an ICS civ will. Check the ICS thread in this forum for more details.

Edit: A link to the ICS Thread
              Last edited by Skanky Burns; October 7, 2001, 08:11.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'll be playing Prince first. Knowing full well that it probably won't be a real challenge, I plan to use it to explore the resources and diplomacy system without having to worry about serious opposition. Probably move up to King for my second game to try for real and then emperor by my third once I've actually figured out the game. I'll get to Deity after a few months, as I doubt I'll be able to kill off more the 4-5 games in the first few months because of work and school

Comment

I plan on Diety, I just want to see what the AI is really made of and how many times I'm going to shriek and throttle my own ineptitude.

Heck I'm not going to even read the manual!

It's going to be just like being a newbie!!!

Comment

I plan on taking Prince (probably).

Largest map, 16 civilizations, and all the features turned on. Playing as the Germans or the English.

I want to experiment with the new features, and I don't want to be destracted by having to just survive, but at the same time, I want to see other civilizations advance and interact well, so a medium level is best in my opinion.

BTW, how does anyone beat Diety. I've never been able to do that. The hardest I could ever play was King in CIV2.
                    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
                    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

I will play as Warlord. But when I loose to often I will change to chieftain

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
                        BTW, how does anyone beat Diety. I've never been able to do that. The hardest I could ever play was King in CIV2.
                        This is how a Deity game went for me:
                        1) Set up city.
                        2) Notice city in civil disorder.
                        3) Raise Luxuries to maximum.
                        4) Notice city still in civil disorder.
                        5) Attempt to buy temple; no money.
                        6) Utterly, utterly screwed.
                        7) ctrl+alt+del

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut

This is how a Deity game went for me:
                          1) Set up city.
                          2) Notice city in civil disorder.
                          3) Raise Luxuries to maximum.
                          4) Notice city still in civil disorder.
                          5) Attempt to buy temple; no money.
                          6) Utterly, utterly screwed.
                          7) ctrl+alt+del
                          After building your city immediately create a few warriors.
                          Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

In civ 2 deity, all you have to do is get past the early game and quell your people's unhappiness. Build caravans to get wonders, expand fast, there are a lot of things that help. Once you're past the early game, you have no problems, as the ai is as stupid as ever. It simply uses its increased production power to move yet more units aimlessly around the map!

Comment

I'll try Prince.
                              On a related note, will there be a tutorial game (like in CivII)?

Comment

I don't want to be crushed on my first game

If the difficulty levels are set-up the same way as in SMAC and CIV II then Prince will be my choice.

Based on that assumption, King would be a level playing field between the AI and myself - so start with Prince, for a bit of a challenge without either a complete walkover at Chieftain/Warlord or a hopeless disaster at Emperor/Diety.

Another point - at Diety the game will be extemely skewed - you may miss some of the subtleties e.g. Diplomacy on Diety - AI Bias so they all hate you?
                                tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

Working...
                                X