Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micromanagement.

I hate it.

The part of Civ that I enjoy is the early stage, the later stages get boring after a couple of games; since I spend most of my time moving workers around other mundane tasks. I know that there are mayors but they always end up being w^nkers who can only think locally and not globally. So what besides Mayors has Firaxis done to eliminate Micromanagement?

I like the idea of resources and culture and Im only a little worried about this adding micromanagement I wish they had stolen PW and terrain management(you don't place workers) from CTP2.

edit: added w^nker
    Accidently left my signature in this post.

Hopefully the new City Governor AI will help with late game MM.

I personally don't have a gripe with MMing, but I know that it does get tedious.

Comment

I liked the concept for PW but I actually thought it involved more micromanagement than settlers did. You had to plan what you would do for every single tile every single turn, instead of simply having a settler blinking at you saying, "What do I do master?"

But with the incorporation of AI Governors and the ability to give orders to workers (build roads
      here, don't irrigate there), I think it will work very well.

As always.

We'll see
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I see your point. With settlers, "what to do next" can sometimes be limited to a few options, as where the settler actually is located plays a part in deciding what to terraform.

PW was a nice idea, but it just took away something from the whole 'building' of infrastructure. A little, maybe? Plus the whole CTP2 system of tile production/bonuses was vague because of the 'increased benefits closer to ground zero' effect. PW was pretty much ruined by that.

Comment

You've got a point concerning PW, I'd let it pile up and I'd use it every 30 turns or so, same thing with moving workers in CTP. Which really hurt me in PBEM.

But that isn't micromanagement by my definition which is actions performed over and over again. Maybe queued movements for settler or whatever formers are called in this game will help. But I would of preferred PW.

Oh and why is every one so optimistic concerning mayors?

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
            You've got a point concerning PW, I'd let it pile up and I'd use it every 30 turns or so, same thing with moving workers in CTP. Which really hurt me in PBEM.

But that isn't micromanagement by my definition which is actions performed over and over again. Maybe queued movements for settler or whatever formers are called in this game will help. But I would of preferred PW.

Oh and why is every one so optimistic concerning mayors?
            Because of the preview video some people got when they pre-ordered Civ 3. One programmer talks about how the AI Governors "learn" from your actions.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sounds good. I hope it does.

Comment

I like that queued settler move/action idea.

Good call MH

Comment

Maybe queued movements for settler or whatever formers are called in this game will help.
                  Excellent idea! Say maybe a worker with an empty queue has shortcut [q?] to bassically play out it's next 10 moves or something, saves them, and they'd be like on sentry duty, doin' the work. That would definitely be a nice feature.
                  "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

I hated PW. It was more micromanagement than settlers/engineers.

I really feel that there will be much less micromanagement in civ 3, with the improved governors, hopefully better settler automation or queues, and city build queues. The most annoying thing, especially in the modern age, was the number of pop-ups at the beginning of the turn that required you to change build orders. Queues, especially loadable queues, will improve that. Hopefully there will be decent worker automation.

Comment

Akron:

How is PW more micromanagement than workers? There are valid critisms of PW, but MM isn't one of them, IMNSHO.

Added: actually PW is macromanagement

Comment

As horrible as CTP/CTP2 were, one of the few things it improved upon was PW. However if there is some way to queue up orders for the workers or automate them, that would be fine.

Comment

as long as there are build ques and worker queues this shouldnt be aproblem...i hated playing later stages...especially when you are an expansionist like myself.

Comment

The CTP2 national manager worked really well for me.
                            A great many build orders could be given with just a few clicks, and it was very precise too.
                            (Inserting a factory into the build queue of every city with production over 100 is trivial)

But that was about the only part of CTP2 which was good , the general tile improvment and city workers style sucked, but I wouldn't be too quick to blame the suckiness on the PW's part.

Comment

Build queues (ala SMAC) go a long way towards reducing micro management. This allows you to control what your cities are doing completely, but allows you to not have to visit each city every turn. Apparently, the governors can also place your population in the optimal harvesting squared, so if you improve the terrain around a city, you dont need to enter the city to make sure they are using the correct terrain squares.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X