No announcement yet.

biological/chemical weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

come on now, we all love the banana, but the MB bomb is the shiznit.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

yeah, i guess it is true that the spys all over the place were anoying as anything. i am starting tosee how this may be much better!

Comment

Most sides in WW2 had stockpiles of chemical weaponry, but only Japan actually used them(on the Chinese.) Japan's unit 731 actually developed a number of early biological weaponry, spreading death and disease in China for years after the war.

The other sides didn't want to use them because it would have brought chemical reprisals. Hitler, in particular, had no long range heavy bombers to hit Britain with chemical bombs, while Britain could gas Berlin...

Comment

Most sides in WW2 had stockpiles of chemical weaponry, but only Japan actually used them(on the Chinese.) Japan's unit 731 actually developed a number of early biological weaponry, spreading death and disease in China for years after the war.

The other sides didn't want to use them because it would have brought chemical reprisals. Hitler, in particular, had no long range heavy bombers to hit Britain with chemical bombs, while Britain could gas Berlin...

I think that all three weapons of mass destruction should have a place in Civ 3.

((Agent Orange is technically a chemical weapon, but it's not a weapon of mass destruction. It's a defoliant. Most countries use phosphourous grenades as marker flares- those technically qualify as "chemical weapons." But not chemical WMDs.))

Comment

I agree that chemical warfare would be cool in CIV, but it hasn't actually been used too often in war, at least not when you compare it to conventional warfare.

AFAIK

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
              I agree that chemical warfare would be cool in CIV, but it hasn't actually been used too often in war, at least not when you compare it to conventional warfare.

AFAIK
              And not many cities have had nuclear weapons planted in them by spys. Civ 3 is a game of imagination as well.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well, it saw pretty extensive usage in WW1, a certain degree of use in WW2, and quite a bit of use in the Iran-Iraq war. There were massive stockpiles in NATO and Warsaw Pact military bases, "just in case."

Most countries don't employ it regularly because it's icky and it gets the UN mad at you. (Which actually doesn't mean anything. But it usually gets more powerful nations mad at you too.)

Comment

chemical and bio warfare is ot that disimilar to nuclear warfare in that the reason most nation prob didt use it, was the fear of retaliation. After the horrors of WW1 even Hitler prob realised that (he was a corpral in WW1 so would have had, 1st hand knowledge)

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba

AFAIK
                    have you not heard of WWI ? or Gulf War? 3rd world countries now adays use it without a care in the world. its cheap and takes out thousands. it was banned after WWI due to its horific effects, but many inhumane, couward loser countries like those in the middle east still use them today.

Comment

Not only did Hitler serve, he was subject to gas attacks and even wounded in one. (He got better, sadly.) So there might have been an inner revulsion to use such horrific weapons.

As for the ignorant comment made by the other guy, no, chemical weaponry is not used regularly by third world nations. Except for the Iran-Iraq war, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorPhobos
                        As for the ignorant comment made by the other guy, no, chemical weaponry is not used regularly by third world nations. Except for the Iran-Iraq war, of course.
                        Agentina, Brazil, China, Cuba, Egypt, Yugoslavia, India, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Libya, North Korea, Pkaistan, Russia, South Africa, SOuth Korea, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan . . .

All of these countries (and then some) have the capibility or stockpiles of Chemical weapons. granted they are not ALL third world countries, but i see more third world countries in their than just Iran and Iraq

ProfessorPhobos: so, maybe you should think before you speak? what are you a professor of, anyway? it seems this forum is the only way you would get the title maybe? idiot.

Comment

A little information is a dangerous thing...

You said that many third world nations regularly employed(i.e., used) chemical weaponry. This is very much not true.

An awful lot of countries have chemical weapons capability, but that doesn't mean they are gassing anyone.

Twit.

Comment

AFAIK, the smallpox that killed indigenous peoples in the Americans could not be used on purpose. Thing was, the disease appeared and it extinguished a large percentage due to the lack of immunity of the indigenous peoples.

And I think the Germans developed mustard gas first...

Still, I hope CivIII has all these things, specially for the espionage.

Comment

Third world nations use machetes and AK-47s, not bio and chem weapons...

And Argentina and Brazil designing and stockpiling chemical weapons is... hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo

Agentina, Brazil, China, Cuba, Egypt, Yugoslavia, India, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Libya, North Korea, Pkaistan, Russia, South Africa, SOuth Korea, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan . . .

All of these countries (and then some) have the capibility or stockpiles of Chemical weapons. granted they are not ALL third world countries, but i see more third world countries in their than just Iran and Iraq

ProfessorPhobos: so, maybe you should think before you speak? what are you a professor of, anyway? it seems this forum is the only way you would get the title maybe? idiot.
                                There's no reason to insult him. If you read his post (which I'm sure you did because you quoted him...) he says chemicals weapons are not used. Big difference.

Though I still think Civ 3 should have this sort of thing because it exists in the real world, and Civ 3 is about history. Re-making it anyway.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X