United Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironwood
    I imagine the UN will be somewhat similar to the world council (can't remember the actual title) in SMAC.
    thats how i have understood it to be also
    Last edited by Nemo; October 3, 2001, 21:04.

Comment

What the UN should be able to do:

1. Elect World Leader (end game)
      2. Elect Governing Nation (20 turns, gives power to veto)
      3. Negotiate Peace Treaties between nations
      4. Negotiate Disarmament treaties
      5. Sanction against a nation in the wake of atrocities or non-compliance (to international agreements)
      6. Provide economic aid to struggling Civs with good reputation (nations would pay for membership)
      7. Agree on "acceptable" pollution levels

This is it, off the top of my head. I'm sure I left something out, but I'm even more sure Firaxis will leave even more out. Any ideas?
      To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

How about nuclear test ban & proliferation treaties..

Stopping anyone building their first or any more nukes..

Ooooh - made it to chieftain!

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling7
          What the UN should be able to do:
          Nice ideas Earthling7

Although it is definately too late for Firaxis to add these, its fun to discuss. Which brings me to my ideas for what the UN can do:

Set minimum litracy rates everyone needs to achieve. Promote literacy.
          Punish nations that break treaties/behave dishonourably
          Promote increased life expectancies

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Nice ideas Earthling7 and Skanky Burns.

I think Firaxis should be careful with implementing too many of your great ideas. It would not be real. Have a look: you can be a superpower (US) and have fun with UN regulations or better say use them as you need. You can even be the most respectful member and the bigger debtor. That is real, not AI mistake!

Comment

One other idea: Free Slaves

Since all workers and settlers can now be captured, there should be an option of getting them back at the end of a war...
              Unless I took them, in which case they'll work for me till they die. (which they wont, cuz im a nice kind of guy )

Work, slaves, work!!

Staszek, I dont think Firaxis will implement these things, just fun to talk about
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Translation Error???

I read the statement to mean:

25% of territory, etc., to be "electable" ... that is to be a "candidate"

All nations still get a vote ... just can't get on the ticket.

Comment

The requirements are absurd - Britain and France are big figures in the UN but do they control 25% of the world's anything?

It shouldn't work like that.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                    The requirements are absurd - Britain and France are big figures in the UN but do they control 25% of the world's anything?

It shouldn't work like that.
                    But the UN in the real world has 190 civs

Comment

In case any of you were curious, here's a pic of the UN in civ3:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice! Did you get that image from the fansite kit?

Comment

Yep. This thread has the list of all the images in the fansite kit.

Comment

You all are acting like the UN will have no power what so ever and that none of these features will be in the game. We haven't actually seen any screens relating to the United Nations so don't lose hope yet. All we have is the little snippet Dan gave us.

Neat ideas anyways.

But... how would the UN negotiating treaties work?
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              We haven't actually seen any screens relating to the United Nations so don't lose hope yet. All we have is the little snippet Dan gave us.
                              Uh, what I posted above was not a "little snippet", it was a quote from an "Ask the Civ Team" piece on the official website. (http://www.civ3.com/asktheteam_091401.cfm) I'd say that has some weight behind it (as in, that is how the UN will function in the game.

As to who gets a vote, it clearly states that only the council members get a vote. I quote:

"Any civ that receives a majority of votes from the U.N. council wins the game. "

Beyond that, I'm guessing that the UN will have some of it's Civ2 powers, but not much else.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

UN realism

If you wanted a realistic UN in Civ 3 then you would have a huge bloated beurocracy that has very limited actual power (as opposed to supposed power) and messes things up as often as it improves anything. And the civ that builds the wonder would have to deal with all the diplomats not paying their hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of parking tickets, along with their being immune from that civ's laws. Gee, if that's the UN in Civ 3 then I don't want any part of it.
                                Your ad here!

Comment

Working...
                                X