United Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Nations

I seem to remember reading on the Civ3.com site something about the United Nations, and how it is a way to diplomatic victory.

You need to either:

1) have built the UN wonder,

2) control 25% of the world's population, or

3) control 25% of the Earth's land area,

to get a UN seat.

Has anyone heard anything else about how the UN will effect the game. Can you vote for UN sanctions which each UN member will have to abide by? What other powers will the UN have, if any?
    Tod.MB

I imagine the UN will be somewhat similar to the world council (can't remember the actual title) in SMAC. It would be a shame if they took a step backwards in that area of gameplay development.

Though I doubt the UN will be deploying solar shades.
    To those who understand,
    I extend my hand.
    To the doubtful I demand,
    Take me as I am.

Comment

I wonder what the criteria for being elected to Leader of the UN are? How does the AI vote in this particular case? And do you get to vote?

I think that on a large world with fewer than average civs it will be no problem getting 25% population or landmass.

But in a fairly regular game I'm a bit worried their will be too few members. We'll see.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Nukes

Reading the other thread about nuclear weapons, I'm wondering if the UN will impose restictions on this sort of thing.

Or just allow the powers with weapons when the UN's founded, or immediately thereafter, to wield them (like real life).

What does anyone think? I think a UN that acted like this would be realistic, but does anyone feel it'd be restrictive to the point that the gameplay would suffer?
        Tod.MB

Comment

The 25% of landmass is merely a criterion for eligibility to be elected AFAIK.
          Rome rules

Comment

Roman is right (I think).

Those requirements are to be able to be elected, but all civs (even you) can vote on whomever you want to be leader.
            "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
            "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut
              Those requirements are to be able to be elected, but all civs (even you) can vote on whomever you want to be leader.
              That's how I understood it, but last time I remember hearing something about the UN is a while ago.
              Rome rules

Comment

The question is...

Will the UN be like it was in Civ 2 where it actually did stuff like impose peace treaties and such, or just a method of winning. I'm hoping both and I hope it will do more as far as imposing treaties and such.

Someone complained awhile back that they hadn't seen nuclear sanctions and the like in the Diplomatic Screen but we also haven't seen any modern shots. Maybe things like that don't appear until you actually get the weapons.

Hopefully the United Nations will have more power and feel more like and organization then the modern Great Wall.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I would like to have the ability to not join the U.N., just in case I'm feeling particularly militaristic. I would also like to defy U.N. demands, which should cause all U.N. members to declare war on me. That would be a fun way to die
                  "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Comment

That would be a fun way to die
                    Why do you play the game? Though... the urge to defy the world is... growing... that would be fun! Take that UN!

Comment

That would be a fun way to die
                      Why do you play the game? Though... the urge to defy the world is... growing... that would be fun! Take that "United Nations!" Soon you will all be MY NATION! BWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh, look what they've made me do

Comment

Why bother playing if I'm going to die? If I take over the world, there's nobody to hear me gloat. And going down in style is sometimes more fun than winning. And sometimes (in Civ2 at least) the AIs p*ss you off so much that you just want to go to war with everybody, and this seems like a handy way to do it.

Lorizael: Little tip. If you've already clicked "Submit", don't bother clicking "Stop" and working on your post some more. Chances are it's already processed into Apolyton by the time you click "Stop" and you will submit the new version, effectively creating a double-post. Just let it go and edit the post later.

Comment

Yah I realized that afterwards... they act fast...

Comment

Roman is right (I think).

That's what I used to think, but it's wrong. According to an Ask the Civ Team response to victory conditions (http://www.civ3.com/asktheteam_091401.cfm):

"The diplomatic victory condition is enabled after the United Nations wonder has been built. Once built, the UN will meet periodically to vote on a leader. Any civ that receives a majority of votes from the U.N. council wins the game. The catch here is that in order to even be on the U.N. council (and thus eligible to be elected U.N. leader), you must either control 25% of the world's territory or population. The civilization who builds the United Nations wonder automatically gains a permanent council position."

Emphasis added by me. Thus, only the council votes, not ALL the civs. I for one hope they are continuing to tweak this functionality.
                            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

That's what I used to think, but it's wrong. According to an Ask the Civ Team response to victory conditions (http://www.civ3.com/asktheteam_091401.cfm):

"The diplomatic victory condition is enabled after the United Nations wonder has been built. Once built, the UN will meet periodically to vote on a leader. Any civ that receives a majority of votes from the U.N. council wins the game. The catch here is that in order to even be on the U.N. council (and thus eligible to be elected U.N. leader), you must either control 25% of the world's territory or population. The civilization who builds the United Nations wonder automatically gains a permanent council position."

Emphasis added by me. Thus, only the council votes, not ALL the civs. I for one hope they are continuing to tweak this functionality.
                              Oh, my.

Well, I certainly hope they tweak it, because that'll allow 7 civs max on the council (i.e. 3 civs own at least 25% pop. each, 3 other civs own at least 25% land each, and one other built the U.N.), which is extremely unlikely. I'm guessing an average of 3 or 4 civs are on a council. But wouldn't they all vote for themselves?

Well, Firaxis better not ship the game with a major problem like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X