No announcement yet.

I SAY: Do not localize it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When EU2 (a history simulation with 180 playable nations) is released, would you rather like to play the original Swedish version?

As for music: That it is in no need of translation is its very beauty.
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by Roman
      Is this financially worthwhile for them though?
      That's for them to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakki
        regardless of what you say, there are people who can't read English
        Then they should LEARN!!!
        To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling7

Then they should LEARN!!!
          Why ? Is this some kind of cultural imperiaism bullsh*t you are sprouting ?

Comment

The point is that -Learning To Count With Bugs Bunny- should probably be translated, but CivIII with all it's upcoming mods ans scenarios should not. Think of the mess, having a German game and an American mod.

About packingh both versions together. It may work for Red Alert or something that requires just a 24 page manual, but it would be way too expensive shipping CivIII with it's 300 (hopefully) page manual in two languages (three for Belgium, 5 for Swiss).

Let's just get the International version, or at least give us a choice.
            To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

luckily "localization" is usually done by local publishers.. although the original developer may choose to make things easier by having built in support for localization.

I always thought it was kinda weird my Civ 2 came with Spanish and French (or was it just Spanish ?) but as long as I can read ONE of the languages I am happy.

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
                When EU2 (a history simulation with 180 playable nations) is released, would you rather like to play the original Swedish version?
                Come to think of it, that would be funny...

Vverdy vverdy vvert vvert vvert, bork bork bork!!!

(My bad Swedish Chef impersonation)

Well, since Swedish is, compared to English, a VERY uncommon language, it would be pretty silly of them to do this from a sales perspective. But, financially, a game company can put out an English version only and do fine.

Sucks, don't it?
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Why are native English speakers for localised versions and non-native English speakers for a universal English version?

Don't worry native English speakers, we won't brand you as imperialists if you support the universal English version.
                  Rome rules

Comment

When the localization is done well, I prefer the localized one. But would be fine, when you have the choice between installing the original and the localized

Comment

american here, not participating in your poll.

i see many of your points, the game was HARD CODED in english, and transferrign it to, say, german, would lose some, if not a lot of, effect.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling7
                        About packingh both versions together. It may work for Red Alert or something that requires just a 24 page manual, but it would be way too expensive shipping CivIII with it's 300 (hopefully) page manual in two languages.
                        a) We don't know if Civ III will have a big manual or not. I'm guessing we'll get a small install/introduction manual and a larger .pdf file on CD/DVD.

b) I can live with a manual in original language and the file .pdf of the translated version (or viceversa).

If the game can work with both language, you can still build Mods working in english (required/mandatory) and the translated language of your choice (the one know by people who make the Mod, that is).

Of course is too late, but I already posted on this topic - translation and patches - in March, so none can tell I never mentioned this before
                        Last edited by Adm.Naismith; October 2, 2001, 16:23.
                        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Why are native English speakers for localised versions and non-native English speakers for a universal English version?

Don't worry native English speakers, we won't brand you as imperialists if you support the universal English version.
                          How's this for Imperialist - I don't care because the game is originally in English and therefore I don't have to worry about it.

*Proudly sticks head in the sand*
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

because the non-native speakers are living on the bad end of the equation for themselves. The native english-speakers can see the whole spectrum... you should not discriminate against the minority of civ3 buyers in foreign countries. IF infogrames makes a profit-related desicion not to do localized versions then it mkaes sense, even though it still is discriminating - theyre a company, they can do what they want. BUt you want no localized version for your own sake and hadn't even presented that argument yet, so....
                            And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

English isn't the best for everyone

It's not because english is well known by alot that others who aren't as familiarized with english should suffer not getting all the game's depth because of their language.

Personnally, I know english enough to buy the first copy that'll be out, wether it be french or english.
                              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

English version .
                                Translations are a waste of time and effort. It's up to the players to learn english if they want to play the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X