I SAY: Do not localize it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I SAY: Do not localize it

Sell the US version everywhere on the world.

Localized versions are mostly rips. They are poorly done. Atmosphere is lost. The whole game becomes something different.

Its because the message gets lost. That would be like translating Music to german

DO NOT LOCALIZE IT!
    Sell the US version everywhere.
    Or at LEAST sell the US version with the localized version. I REFUSE to buy the german version. I tell ya. And I will NOT pay a hundred bucks for importing the US version either (THAT IS NOT AN OPTION). Hey I am not Bill Gates.

Btw, there is a poll. Please only non-native english speakers enter.

Sincerely,
    ata
    You are right. Atmosphere is best only in the orginal version.
    67.19%
    No localized versions are great
    21.88%
    I already refuse to buy for some other reason/I dont care
    10.94%

I suppose all console games should come in japanese now, too?
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Big NO to localisation!!!

English versions rule!!!
      Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
        I suppose all console games should come in japanese now, too?
        Unlike English, Japanese is not an (almost) universally understood world language.

I want an English copy. You echo my sentiments Atahaulpa.
        Rome rules

Comment

Re: I SAY: Do not localize it

Originally posted by Atahualpa
          Or at LEAST sell the US version with the localized version. I REFUSE to buy the german version. I tell ya. And I will NOT pay a hundred bucks for importing the US version either (THAT IS NOT AN OPTION). Hey I am not Bill Gates.
          Totally agree...I didn't buy my favorite RTS game because I could only get it in danish, I don't want to pay some high fee to get the english version shipped to Denmark...Guess why The Settlers IV (My favorite RTS games) didn't sell well in Scandinavia..?
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

regardless of what you say, there are people who can't read English in the world and handling the amount of documentation that comes with civ3 (or any other large game) would be a chore.

if you don't want it localized, order from USA/UK

Comment

Good idea, Atahulpa!

I always buy the english versions of games, especially since norwegian is a small language, and the nearest language is swedish! (for non-norwegian/-swedish peope; norwegians and swedes have some sort of kindly humor about each other, difficult to explain! )
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakki
                regardless of what you say, there are people who can't read English in the world and handling the amount of documentation that comes with civ3 (or any other large game) would be a chore.

if you don't want it localized, order from USA/UK
                I think the point was that it's too expensive to get it shipped from the U.S.

About localized versions: They should not get rid of the other versions. The best solution (in my mind) is to provide both the local and U.S. versions at major stores. This is, of course, up to the store managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th

I think the point was that it's too expensive to get it shipped from the U.S.

About localized versions: They should not get rid of the other versions. The best solution (in my mind) is to provide both the local and U.S. versions at major stores. This is, of course, up to the store managers.
                  I think the best solution would be to put both languages on the same CD/DVD
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The sacred mantra:

Localisation is dumb. Localisation is evil. Localisation is from Hell. Localisation is meant for games meant for five-year-olds. That's the bloody point.

(Repeat and fade)
                    Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriqvium
                      Localisation is meant for games meant for five-year-olds.
                      And I always thought it was so people could understand what was happening in the game

Not everyone speaks fluent English and even those that do may want it in their own language.

Comment

By far the majority of people with computers and buying power to acquire Civ 3 do speak English.

We need no localisation.
                        Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Roman
                          By far the majority of people with computers and buying power to acquire Civ 3 do speak English.

We need no localisation.
                          Maybe a majority do speak english, but they shouldn't leave the minority out.

Comment

Re: I SAY: Do not localize it

[SIZE=1] Music to german
                            Considering the greatest music ever written was written by Germans, why would this even be necessary?

PS-I did not vote in the poll, as I am an American-speaking Yank who doesn't have to worry about it anyway. Ahhhh, it can be soooo good to be an American sometimes...

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th

Maybe a majority do speak english, but they shouldn't leave the minority out.
                              Is this financially worthwhile for them though? Especially considering the fact that some people hate the domestic versions so much, they will not buy the game, since it would ruin the atmosphere for them.
                              Rome rules

Comment

Working...
                              X