What about nuclear arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
    Does anyone know whether it will be considered an "atrocity" if either strategic or tactical nukes are used?
    I would assume so...
    Rome rules

Comment

But that is not a problem if you have a nuke for every enemy city, as Skanky pointed!!!

BTW: that could be difficult, since you would have to earn very much money per turn, because of the new system of paying military units!
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

what if i want to use neutrons bombs instead ? Kill all the locals but keep the infrastructure... throw in a few settllers, build, and voila, a thriving city...

Comment

Originally posted by Rakki
          what if i want to use neutrons bombs instead ? Kill all the locals but keep the infrastructure... throw in a few settllers, build, and voila, a thriving city...
          It is a popular myth that neutron bombs keep infrastructure intact.
          Rome rules

Comment

wot, no deth rayz machinez ? wot dis veld koming to ?

Comment

Nuke, Nuke, NUke, Nuke of Earl, Nuke, Nuke, Nuke of Earl, NUke Nuke, Nuke of Earl....

I hope Hydrogen bombs are in the game! They probably won't be, but oh well.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Just hope there could be some way to make nukes realistic...

If it's so strong, why are there only (and quite enough) 2 nukes used till it's discovering?

Because there are many consequences. I just hope that Civ III will implement these consequences in some way, to make so that you don't use nukes as planes and tanks.
                Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

here is all of the official information about nuclear weapons in Civ3

we know that there will be two types of nukes that are available in the game (prereq: space flight) but the MP must be built before you can build them, and they will require uranium to build

according to the gamespot uk preview of civ3 one nuke will function like nukes do in civ2, the other type will be able to hit anywhere on the map, though we don't know the exact power of nukes in civ3

we know that after a player builds five SAM sites then they can build SDI (though we don't know if you have to discover a certain tech past rocketry for this or not) also the exact effect of SDI is unknown (for example: will it be 100% effective against all nuke attacks?)

also it appears from the gamespot UK preview that some form of M.A.D. will be in the game but this isn't confirmed

i have sent many questions about nuclear weapons to the ask the team section of civ3.com but as of yet they haven't answered any of them
                  Last edited by korn469; October 2, 2001, 12:58.

Comment

Thank you, Korn, for talking some sense into this thread.

What about nuclear legs?
                    Last edited by HalfLotus; October 2, 2001, 12:58.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassin

If I remember correctly, Firaxis said that nukes would completely destroy the tiles they hit and surrounding areas. So if you hit "Rome" with a nuke. Rome will no longer exist.
                      EEK!!!

Where did you see this?

Comment

Originally posted by korn469

we know that after a player builds five SAM sites then they can build SDI (though we don't know if you have to discover a certain tech past rocketry for this or not) also the exact effect of SDI is unknown (for example: will it be 100% effective against all nuke attacks?)
                        I believe they said that you need 5 SAMs plus the Integrated Defense Tech.

EDIT: Yup, from the dev. update on wonders:

Other Small Wonders can depend on a variety of things, such as SDI, which requires the Integrated Defense technology and 5 SAM missile batteries to construct.

Comment

Maybe ICBMs will be like espionage where you don't actually have to build them and send them places. The problem with that is that you still need to "build" nukes in some way and not just pay for them on the spot (which I think is what most people think Espionage will be). And it would be very cool if there was some sort of counter-attack option.

A friend thought that tacs might get through SDI defense because it's very difficult to shoot them down. This might add flavor to the nuclear age.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Whatever Firaxis does, I hope they don't let nukes be used for reconnaissance.

"This nuke will tell us what the Japanese have over there!"
                            "How?"
                            "I dunno."
                            "LAUNCH!"
                            "It's coming back!"
                            "Yes! It went right back into the launcher! Works like a charm every time!"

"Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                            "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut

"How?"
                              "I dunno."
                              "LAUNCH!"
                              "It's coming back!"

I just hate them boomerang nukes, especially when the friend or foe system is not working properly. That nuke lands in the launcher and boom....no more launcher. You have just commited an atrocity upon yourself.

Just a crazy idea, but do you think they're going have any matter-antimatter bombs. You know, for those times when eliminating the city is just not good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut

"How?"
                                "I dunno."
                                "LAUNCH!"
                                "It's coming back!"

Yah that was always an interesting tactic. What I hated about the AI and nukes is... well... 2 things. One, they would nuke their own captured cities (which shouldn't happen with the new Nationality aspect) and they always knew where your SDI defense was (but now AI doesn't cheat until Deity). There was a third thing but I suddenly forgot it

Thankfully with the new Air missions you won't be able to "scout" with your nukes. Just kill, kill, kill.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X