Treacherous Great Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treacherous Great Leaders

Hi, long time reader, first time writer.
    I know it's really late to post a new idea for Civ 3, but I just got this idea.

How about making the Great leaders betray you when you're neglecting (or just simply oppressing) the needs of the people in your Empire?
    Let say you raise taxes incredibly high which results in a few rebellions or civil unrest throughout your empire. And if you have a Great Leader near these cities, they'll have either a chance of calming the revolts or joining them.

If the Great Leader join, then the city (or cities) in that area will become either a new civilization or barbarian cities.

It would probably make people more weary of their precious great leaders
    "Imagination is more important than Intelligence" - Albert Einstein

Re: Treacherous Great Leaders

Originally posted by Dknight
    Hi, long time reader, first time writer.

How about making the Great leaders betray you when you're neglecting (or just simply oppressing) the needs of the people in your Empire?
    Let say you raise taxes incredibly high which results in a few rebellions or civil unrest throughout your empire. And if you have a Great Leader near these cities, they'll have either a chance of calming the revolts or joining them.

If the Great Leader join, then the city (or cities) in that area will become either a new civilization or barbarian cities.

It would probably make people more weary of their precious great leaders
    Depends on a leader. How about a general deserting you if you do not give him enough human cannon fodder and lead generally belligerent and bloodthirsty politics?

Comment

I wouldn't like my Great Leaders to act like that - to possibly turn against me and start a civil war. If they were liable to do that, id ask them to help me build a great wonder, and then 'accidently' bury them in the walls of the wonder!!

Take That, you unloyal Leaders!! Muwahahaha!!!

Ok, ill take my tablets now
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
        I wouldn't like my Great Leaders to act like that - to possibly turn against me and start a civil war. If they were liable to do that, id ask them to help me build a great wonder, and then 'accidently' bury them in the walls of the wonder!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

heh, it was just a crazy idea.

Hey remember how in Civ 2 when there's a huge Empire and if you take over that nation's capital, they'll have a chance to split the civilization in 2?
          I always loved that. Any idea if that aspect is in Civ 3?
          Or like it? Hate it?

hehe, me and my rebels
          "Imagination is more important than Intelligence" - Albert Einstein

Comment

Re: Treacherous Great Leaders

Better now, than too late.
            Nice to see new active members.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Actually, having GLs who would disobey your orders, form military juntas to overthrow your government and so on would be nice... but as Dknight pointed out, it may be a bit too late to add such things.
              Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

I don't mind GLs having a personality but I'll be damned if I have to put up with backchat from them !

"What do you mean, your fun value is low ? You want to go back to a city with a colosseum ? And you are feeling lonely and want to socialize ? What is this, The Sinms ? You are fired !"

Comment

heh, it was just a crazy idea.

Hey remember how in Civ 2 when there's a huge Empire and if you take over that nation's capital, they'll have a chance to split the civilization in 2?
                  I always loved that. Any idea if that aspect is in Civ 3?
                  Or like it? Hate it?

hehe, me and my rebels
                  That was Civ 1, not 2. They took it out for Civ 2, which was a good thing because it was REALLY unbalanced. However, it only worked if you took the capital of an empire that was more powerful than your own

But...

I think it would be a good idea to have certain conditions lead to civil wars and rebellion in your empires, like in Europa Universalis. For instance, if you had a certain number of disgruntled citizens in your empire AND then reached a certain number of tax collectors, this would trigger a few cities to revolt and you'd have to fight to get them back (or they declare independence).

You could also have the loss of your capital trigger a secession of your least loyal (perhaps conquered) cities, rather than an arbitrary split in the empire like in Civ 1.

Yes, civil war seems a suitable consequence of poor empire management!
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

That was Civ 1, not 2. They took it out for Civ 2, which was a good thing because it was REALLY unbalanced. However, it only worked if you took the capital of an empire that was more powerful than your own
                    Nope. Happened in Civ2 quite a lot. I didn't think it was unbalance, but then it never happened to me. The idea of unhappiness leading to rebellion is good though.

Comment

Did not!

Originally posted by Haphazard

Nope. Happened in Civ2 quite a lot. I didn't think it was unbalance, but then it never happened to me. The idea of unhappiness leading to rebellion is good though.
                      Most certainly does not. I've played Civ2 constantly since it came out and have never had it happen on any difficulty setting in any situation when I've taken the capital. You may prove it, however by either showing me a screenshot of it happening or cut-n-pasting the code from the game.txt file.

I promise you, however, you will not succeed!

Caveat: Maybe you have some wierd foreign edition or ToT or expansion, but in the original Civ2, no civil wars!
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: Did not!

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Most certainly does not. I've played Civ2 constantly since it came out and have never had it happen on any difficulty setting in any situation when I've taken the capital. You may prove it, however by either showing me a screenshot of it happening or cut-n-pasting the code from the game.txt file.

I promise you, however, you will not succeed!

Caveat: Maybe you have some wierd foreign edition or ToT or expansion, but in the original Civ2, no civil wars!
                        Oooh a challegne!

Ok, from tutorial.txt:
                        @SCHISM
                        @width=320
                        @title=Civ Tutorial: Civil War
                        The %STRING0 are a large and powerful
                        civilization. However, rebel factions
                        threaten to start a civil war. If your
                        armies can capture their capital city,
                        the shock could split the country in two!

There are no schism events in most scenarios too, but I fear we've gone way off-topic here

Comment

Re: Re: Did not!

Originally posted by Haphazard

Oooh a challegne!

Ok, from tutorial.txt:
                          @SCHISM
                          @width=320
                          @title=Civ Tutorial: Civil War
                          The %STRING0 are a large and powerful
                          civilization. However, rebel factions
                          threaten to start a civil war. If your
                          armies can capture their capital city,
                          the shock could split the country in two!

There are no schism events in most scenarios too, but I fear we've gone way off-topic here
                          But where's the trigger, my son? My hunch is this code was left in but the actualy thing itself was removed from the game. Again, I've never seen the civil war happen in Civ 2. Never. Not once. Nope. Nuh-uh. Nada. Goose egg. Bagel...
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yes, there are civil wars in Civ 2, but not if you have 6 opposing civilizations. There must be one open color for a civ to split. Its rare, but I have seen civil wars.

Comment

sorry boris, akron is right...
                              hasnt it ever happened to u whenu play the WWII scenario, the neutrals or turks get destroyed, and the spanish take moscow?

Comment

Working...
                              X