What are your beefs with Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your beefs with Civ3?

In the last few weeks, a growing number of people have expressed concerns over Civ3. Some people have even said, that they expect the game to suck (Kaak) - others merely that they don't expect the game to live up to standards (Yin26).

I don't understand that. All the people that have said these things are to one degree or another devout Civ fanatics.

So: I would like to know. What exactly is the reason(s) why you don't expect much from Civ3.

Give your comments on this thread.

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

The one thing I was most dissapointed with was the 8 civ limit, but as this has been increased to 16 I have become much more possitive towards the game.

There is of course one thing that could ruin this game, and thats a crappy AI. I really hope they will be able to make an AI that is significantly better than in the previous games. Especially since MP will not be out in some time.
    We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Re: What are your beefs with Civ3?

Originally posted by Asmodean
      In the last few weeks, a growing number of people have expressed concerns over Civ3. Some people have even said, that they expect the game to suck (Kaak) - others merely that they don't expect the game to live up to standards (Yin26).

I don't understand that. All the people that have said these things are to one degree or another devout Civ fanatics.

So: I would like to know. What exactly is the reason(s) why you don't expect much from Civ3.

Give your comments on this thread.

Asmodean
      Thanks for this thread Asmodean. Personally, I just think their are some people who are not happy unless they have something to complain about. And many people are behaving very childish and expecting Firaxis to implement every single thing THEY want to see.

Two things for gripers to keep in mind:

1. As with any sequel that has expectations, it is IMPOSSIBLE to put in everything every fan wants. Firaxis has been AMAZING when it comes to responding to the fans, and I think we are going to get the best product they can come up with. If you want an example of a crappy sequel where fan input was ignored, all I need say is Origin's Ultima IX. Blech.

2. The game is not released, we don't know anything really about the AI or mechanics or how it plays, etc. So why make assumptions and look like a jerk? When you assume, you make an *ss of u and me...

So guys...relax, let your love for Civ be your guide and have a little faith that Sid Meier, the greatest name in computer gaming, is coming out with another superstar game.

Cheers.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Of course not all of the more or less usefull stuff we propose can be implemented in the game, but if just a small percentage of it does it will be worth it.

Because Firaxis actually listen to their fans it's better with an active community asking for everything between heaven and earth, than one just accepting whatever comes their way. This way some of what we want actually gets implemented in the game.

And I have faith in Sid, and I'm sure a lot of other have to. IMO that's one of the reasons people ask for their favorite thing to get implemented.

Firaxis gets a
        from me for actually listening to their fans
        We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

i think that I will like civ3. it wont be perfect for anyone, but it will be a great game

Comment

I believe this to be the best game of all time. And it will no doubt be better than Age of Mythology, though I await AoM as well.

Go Civ 3! October 30th seems like an eternity.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

No game is perfect, that's why we need a sequel to Civilization. But Looking at the series, from Civ to CivII to SMAC, we can only imagine what great new features will be implemented this time.

I have 99% faith in Firaxis!
              To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Traveling in the mountains

I am looking at the movie High Sierra, and a criminal is forcing a tough battle in the mountains. I was wondering if CivIII is going to account for rock formations and caves. One person could hold off a small army in the ranges. I remember the Lone Ranger, mountains can be very dangerous.

Comment

Re: Traveling in the mountains

Originally posted by SSBLoveU
                  I am looking at the movie High Sierra, and a criminal is forcing a tough battle in the mountains. I was wondering if CivIII is going to account for rock formations and caves. One person could hold off a small army in the ranges. I remember the Lone Ranger, mountains can be very dangerous.
                  anyone heard of tanya? how about volkov?

(redalert)
                  And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Yuri Prime (from Yuri's Revenge, an addon to Red Alert 2), which can take over 5 enemy tanks/buildins/infantry at once.
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

The primary thing I'm concerned with is the unique unit and unique traits of various civs.

Firstly I think this is a rather rascist. firaxis is forcing themselves to choose traits for various cultures, many of which don't exist anymore, but some which do.

Secondly I'm worried that these tratis and unique units will make the game more predictable, with different nations acting the same way they did before time and time again.

I want civs to be defined by where they live and what they've done IN THE GAME, not in the real world. This is about remaking history, not reliving it.
                      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Let me say this. I believe Firaxis is the best computing gaming shop out there. They produce excellent quality games and do not screw up.

Civilization II's AI was impecable for the time when it was released (Computer Science aside it is much easier to create a RTS AI since that is just path finding and build order).

I have nothing to complain about yet. The no-invading with roads actually does make sense now, considering the supressive fire aspect of invasion. I'm really looking forward to the peaceful (cultural) elements for controlling borders.

I'm a little worried about the cartoony world leader screens, but that won't be too bad. I might even like it once I see them animated.

I am looking forward to this game more than any other I've ever looked forward to!

Comment

Mainly because I can't play Civ2 on my "upgraded" computer.

I think if an OS doesn't run Civ2, it's a downgrade!!!

Comment

I agree with you kc7mxo. Having different civilization possibilities is just plain stupid since the game is about redoing history not REplay history. Im glad that you can turn it off, thanks firaxis.
                            But i guess the game will be great anyway...
                            If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.
                            And destroy you. -Maxi Jazz, Faithless

Comment

I would still like to hear from those who really worry about the gameplay in civ3. Come on guys. I know you're out there. I've read your posts.

Asmodean
                              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Working...
                              X