Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible last minute idea: Casualty totals for wars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible last minute idea: Casualty totals for wars?

Perhaps this has been suggested many, many times in the past and more elequently. Heck, maybe this is even already in the game ( ) but it is a little something I have always wanted to see in Civ.
    I envision a system (nothing too fancy, mind you) which would simply record the total casualties for each side in a war. I'm talking actual lives, rather than units lost. In anchient times, say the Romans lost 30,000 men and the Japanese lost 20,000. In modern times Germany loses 10 million men and the Russians 20 million, and so forth. It would provide a sobering look at how terrible war really is, and you could sort of keep track of your worst wars ever for future references and so forth (oh, in this one game, I was the Babylonians and I was fighting China and Persia and I lost 100 million guys! It was crazy man!).
    This would be a super-simple thing to add, really just an algorithm based on time periods or something like that to calculate how many men are represented by each unit. I say Firaxis ought to go ahead and implement this if they haven't yet.
    Are you with me Apolyton?
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

More statistics in a game like this could only improve the gameplay experience!! I agree with you, Monkspider
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Good idea!! That would be really cool. I don't think it would be too difficult. Would it? You would probably have to have the game make modern era wars have more casualties than ancient wars as this would more closely approximate what happened historically.
      Just a thought. For realism sake you may have to factor in the loss of population to your civ when you build a unit with this type of a system. This may cause a lot of complaints from civ purists.
      "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
      "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

GREAT idea.. definitely another minute element that takes 2 seconds to add but can richly add to the experience.

Comment

Yes, a great idea.
          Stats make it interesting to play, and look what you had, like the Demography screen in Civ 1, almost the only stats those times.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Sounds cool. Nothing that changes gameplay but is only there for fun.
            If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.
            And destroy you. -Maxi Jazz, Faithless

Comment

sounds good. i think we all give it

Comment

I have always liked statistics, so I think this would be a "nice" addition. If it don't mean having to do a total redesign og the demographic screen, it would be great to be able to put in custom statistics. This would be cool in scenario's, not that a have a clue what would be usefull to put there
                We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Great idea...I'm with this one too.........

Asmodean
                  Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Exactly!

Good idea!
                    More statistics please!

Comment

I guess it could work by keeping track of all the units lost and multiplying each unit by a certain number, such as 1000. Every time a city lost a point of pop because of war it would also be added to the statistic.
                      Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

A wonderful idea. I could back this.

I've always thought casualties should impact the civilian population as the soldiers are just recruited people, but that's another idea and more complicated. We like statistics!
                        To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

I am not sure.

I like the idea very much, but I wonder if it could provoque a lack of realism in some scenarios because of the difficulty adjusting it.

(I think it is very difficult to stimate how many people a unit can represents, and more difficult if you want to adjust a known number - the soldiers in the IIWW - with an unknown number - the units in an IIWW scenario -).

Thank you for your replying.
                          «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

Comment

Agreed. Grat idea!
                            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Cool idea! How about this for an algorithm

c=casualties in war
                              p=population of civ
                              u=units killed in war
                              t=total number of units

c=p[0.2(u/t)]

Simple, no?
                              "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                              "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Working...
                              X