Gamespot: manual in standard edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamespot: manual in standard edition

at this link, you will find that, according to gamespot, the standard edition WILL include a manual, contrary to what many people have been moaning about lat+++++++i always believed that firaxis would never gypp us that bad so as not to include manual in the Standard edition, but some people did, so here ya go...

"The limited edition comes packaged in a tin box, and in addition to the Civilization III game and manual, it includes an exclusive video of the making of Civilization III, another video of Sid Meier's induction into the Interactive Digital Software Association's Hall of Fame, designer notes from Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs, and a foldout guide to the game's technology tree."

my bolding, to highlight that it says 'in addition to," which implies that it is in the standard edition.
    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Who thought that? The LE will have a 'special' manual...I think maybe that's what confused people.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Re: Gamespot: manual in standard edition

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
      at this link, you will find that, according to gamespot, the standard edition WILL include a manual, contrary to what many people have been moaning about lat+++++++i always believed that firaxis would never gypp us that bad so as not to include manual in the Standard edition, but some people did, so here ya go...

"The limited edition comes packaged in a tin box, and in addition to the Civilization III game and manual, it includes an exclusive video of the making of Civilization III, another video of Sid Meier's induction into the Interactive Digital Software Association's Hall of Fame, designer notes from Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs, and a foldout guide to the game's technology tree."

my bolding, to highlight that it says 'in addition to," which implies that it is in the standard edition.
      *rings buzzer*

Sorry, wrong anwser.

Your quote means that the tin wil include all of that other junk in addition to the game and manual. This means the LE will have the game and manual but in no way is either confirmation or denial that the RE will have a real, paper manual or not.

I'd hope that Firaxis and Infrogrames will include a real manual and fold out tech tree for both editions, but who knows. In the name of the almighty dollar I have seen past honorable companies do worse stuff than this (Blizzard comes to mind).

Comment

I agree with Ozy that a paper manual and tech tree should be in both editions. Personally I don't think there's much use for the limited edition. I'm not going to pay that much more money for a tin box and some video footage which I'm going to watch once then gather dust on the shelf..... bang for the buck thanks, not bucks for a bang....

Comment

Alpha Centauri had (and needed) a big A$$ manual included; I can't imagine CivIII having less.

Comment

Ozzy is right.

Although I still would have a very hard time believing that civ 3 will not have a manual.

After all, would it be worth it to make a manual just for the limited edition?

Comment

I certainly wouldn't want to open up the box to only find a jewel case and advertisements. Then again, I'm probably going LE.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, LE for me. Not that I usually get them (I don't need another pewter keychain) because of the added expense, but this will be one of those rare occasions.

Comment

Civ3 is special. I've played Civ2 so much it makes my eyes boggle.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And designer notes should be fun .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I can't imagine a new game not coming out with some sort of manual... I know some times we some have complained of an 'Ivory Throne' complex with Firaxis, but I doubt that they would stoop to the level of 'let them eat cake'.

I am planning on purchasing the LE because Civ holds a dear place in my heart (Cheeze Alert ) and have no problems plucking down an extra 10$ for an (unneccessary, admittedly) luxury I desire.
                      "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
                      "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
                      "I think it would be a good idea."
                      - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

Personally, about the only thing that would motivate me towards the LE box is the inclusion of more than just the one rumored(or is it confirmed?) extra scenerio on the CD.

Though I must admit that in days of yore, Infocom did prove that it was possible to include mostly useless stuff in a gamebox and have it be as cool as the game the stuff came with. I still mourn my loss of the Zorkmid from by copy of the Zork Trilogy. Well, I didn't exactly lose it but last I heard, it was at an uncles place in Texas with the rest of our Apple II stuff, and I ain't there.

Comment

after all if they DON'T include a manual and techtree folder ( a game like civ3 needs one imho) .what's the point buying the game. i mean this way one is encouraged to go for a pirated copy, no? ( i'm not saying i'm!! )

but if there not i probably won't buy the game, too complex and annoying to pick up detals from an in-game manual)
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandous
                            (...) in no way is either confirmation or denial that the RE will have a real, paper manual or not.
                            I have to agree, this is ambiguous and unfortunately doesn't count as a confirmation yet.

Originally posted by Ozymandous
                            I'd hope that Firaxis and Infrogrames will include a real manual and fold out tech tree for both editions, but who knows.
                            Let's hope so. Sure, they have to make a clear marketing distinction between LE and RE, but that should come in the form of adding more to the LE, and not taking away essentials from RE. Also, this wouldn't help deter warez downloads either. I'd be very disappointed if I opened my civ3 box and found only the cd.

Comment

whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*wh ine...maybe the standard edition doesn't include a manual... whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine... I am afraid that I'll have to buy the LE to get the real game... whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine...

Maybe the standard edition won't even include the game CD. Maybe it just contains ads for future Infogrames titles, and technical notes for Civ3.

Jesus...how stupid can people get

Asmodean
                              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Working...
                              X