Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3.com: 16 Civs in a huge world!?

I can´t really believe what I see ...
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

this is great news I think. It will give the game a different feel w/ soo much interaction between so many civ's going on. And 256x256 is HUGE!
    Remember kids: The higher your post count or the faster your computer, the larger your penis!

Comment

16 CIVS AT ONE TIME!!!

HELL F*CKING YEAH!!!

It's about time.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

YES!!!!

So that means that the game will actually support 16 civs without the requiring the user to change some variable in the rules.txt? That's great!

Comment

Some other kewl things I noticed:

- The civ attributes have changed - every possible combo is used now. The Romans are mil/com now and the Persians sci/ind.

- The Legionary has a defensive value of 3, making it the most effective defensive unit (along with Hoplites) before Pikemen are discovered.

- You can create your own government types and add them to the game!!!

- As FC pointed out, 256x256 is huge! And I like it!
          Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Wow! I was just going to start a thread on this. Does this mean that the interface will officially allow 16 civs at once ? I'd like to see an update to the diplomacy screenshot to see if it will accept 16 civs (or the civ selection screen). Will there be a disclaimer saying "choosing huge map and 16 civs is not officially supported" since it will likely be slow ?

Comment

SLOW???

to quote Weird Al

"What kinda chip you got in there? A dorito?"

p2's and above with 128+ meg RAM should have no problem.

Actually, the last time a game was slow was when I had my P90 and I would play Doom 2 with 4 people. Then we had to shrink the screen to credit card size.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

All of the people around these forums that were badmouthing Firaxis about the number of civs should do the following:
                [list=1][*]Pick up foot[*]Place in mouth[/list=1]

Very good news

Comment

Firaxians themselves have said on these forums just how much AI time, etc, it requires whens additional civs are added. We'll see how fast it is...

Comment

Sabre2 th - If it were'nt for the people complaining about the official 8 civ limit, we wouldn't be seeing this.

Comment

::shrieks like a groupie at an Elvis concert::

Yeeeeeehaw!

Everyone had their own little pet dream about what they wanted most in Civ3. This one was mine. Laugh if you want, but my excitment for Civ3 just shot up half a dozen notches.

Speed problems? Pah. Those who think that adding half-a-dozen more Civs to the playing field will slow a modern high-end computer to a screetching halt (with smoke issuing from the back) will finally be proved wrong. And if it is a tad slower, well you don't have to play with them. I've never understood why some folks objected so strenously to the very IDEA of increasing the playable # of Civs.

Ah... I can't wait to play on a big map of Earth with all, (or almost all) of the Civilizations.

Joe
                      (Happiest little Civer in the world)

Comment

Originally posted by Slax
                        Does this mean that the interface will officially allow 16 civs at once ?
                        I can´t think of a default setting that is not supported by parts of the interface. Firaxis, show us a diplo-advisor screenshot with 16 leaders!

16! Heck, I´d even be happy with 10 or 12 civs at the same time ...

Firaxians themselves have said on these forums just how much AI time, etc, it requires whens additional civs are added. We'll see how fast it is...
                        If I´d care how fast it is I´d play RTS.
                        "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by Slax
                          Sabre2 th - If it were'nt for the people complaining about the official 8 civ limit, we wouldn't be seeing this.
                          The idea, I'm sure, came from Apolyton or a similar site, but the endless streams of whiny addicts were unnecessary. There were quite a few people who said they were not buying the game and even 1 or 2 who left Apolyton because of things like this. They did not get 16 civs in the game. They merely destroyed the atmosphere of the forums. For a long while, the forums were nothing but complaints. I'm glad we're finally past that.

Comment

Dan, can you have a 16 civ interface up as a screen next week. I like to see how the foreign advisor screen looks, now when you have added support for it.
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I does sound that it would be very easy to make the simple change so you can play with 16 civs on a Tiny map, or 2 civs on a huge map, or any other combination.

The most telling point about the FAQ? All of the times he wrote,

"the editor allows..."

This has allows been my #1 most important element of Civ3 and unless you don't have a clue as to how customization works (as evident by some folks here), you cannot overestimate its importance or power!

Comment

Working...
                              X