Emigration/Refugees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emigration/Refugees

I think Civ games need these issues addressed. America is a nation of immigrants and it didn't follow the civ's food growth = population growth model. Well, no one followed that model, but that's a different thread.

I think when large cities are being attacked, people should flee in the form of refugee units that are AI controlled. These units would be a different, reserved color, and would flock to the nearest safe city. This unit type could also be an "emigrant" unit, where if your people are unhappy, starving, or suffering from disease, they would flee the country and go to a nation that accepts immigrants.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

I always thought the traditional population model based on food was wrong, but it doesn't look like its gonna change any time soon. Hopefully, Civ 4 will have a more advanced population model that includes immigration.

Comment

I think that immigration and emigration would be good logical extensions of happiness and culture. People would tend to leave cities with low happiness and join happy culturally rich cities. Although I think it would be better handled abstactly than with units.

Comment

Re: Emigration/Refugees

Originally posted by SoulAssassin
        I think Civ games need these issues addressed. America is a nation of immigrants and it didn't follow the civ's food growth = population growth model. Well, no one followed that model, but that's a different thread.

I think when large cities are being attacked, people should flee in the form of refugee units that are AI controlled. These units would be a different, reserved color, and would flock to the nearest safe city. This unit type could also be an "emigrant" unit, where if your people are unhappy, starving, or suffering from disease, they would flee the country and go to a nation that accepts immigrants.
        Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
        This thread may contain traces of nuts.

Comment

I think another thing that could be interesting is the effects of internal migration.... let's say if there's two cities that you own, and both are about equal size. The difference however is that one of the cities has a much better culture rating (maybe it's your capital) while the other is just crap (you've been busy building military units with it)

Then what should happen is that the inferior city starts losing population (to a minimum so it doesn't actually "disappear"90 to the culturally superior city. This would reflect the tendency for people to migrate to where there's better jobs and opportunities... let's say a 5% chance each turn that a population point decides to head off to the big city - but perhaps increased if the disparity is really really big.

This would apply even to cities from different civilizations..... unless you close the border or something in the diplomacy screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Akron
            I always thought the traditional population model based on food was wrong, but it doesn't look like its gonna change any time soon. Hopefully, Civ 4 will have a more advanced population model that includes immigration.
            realize your complaints about civ3 have gone unheeded? start complaining about civ4 today!

i think we need a civ4 forum
            Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

well i think that it would be hard to represent emigration, but civ3 has adressed the issue with the idea that civs with less culture lose cities to civs with more culture...

Comment

Do u remember that funny thing in CIV I which when u had a city with a lot of luxuries, others citizens (of other empire) leaved their country to live in your city? Well, this will be implemented in CIV III.

So, problem solved.
                Roman: Civilization belongs to the civilized. Attila: It belogs to those who have the power to conquer it. Me: Nope, it belongs to me. Coz ive paid 50 bucks and it has a 30 days satisfaction guarantee.
                Asesino_Virtual

Comment

There is migration, if your culture is high enough citizens from other civs will join yours.
                  Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Asesino_Virtual
                    Do u remember that funny thing in CIV I which when u had a city with a lot of luxuries, others citizens (of other empire) leaved their country to live in your city?
                    Huh? No, I don't recall that....
                    Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                    If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                    "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

I recall in one game of Civ I, an entire Zulu city (on another continent, that i hadnt even explored!!) defected over to my superior Roman culture!! LOL!! It would have been even funier if they didnt soon after capture it back... along with gunpower...

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Mr SielunSalamurhaaja (=SoulAssasin in finnish)

I have thought the same idea about refugees... I've done that very much due to the recent situation in Afghanistan.
                        There were refugees in SMACX; when human faction invaded an alien colony (or vice versa), the population of that colony was reduced to 1, and the rest was turned to refugees = 1 colony pod (=settler) per 2 population units. This could be implemented to the game with milder consequenses. Like population of the conquered city would drop to half with x number of refugees...

Or whatever... I believe that Firaxis has thought of this...
                        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

All former European colonies were built by immigrants. The Old World is formed by migration as well. Without Roman soldiers settling everywhere, French and Spanish would be speaking Celtic today. I agree, refugees and emigration should be in the game as well. However, I don't think it will be done .

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!

Huh? No, I don't recall that....
                            Entire cities would revolt and join your empire....
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Immigration

I totally agree that the inclusion of the immigration factor would be a big plus. Now, the question is how to do it to be precise enough to be well included, and as general enough to not be complicated... We need to remember that immigration also has effects on culture, which doesn't simplifies the thing.
                              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Working...
                              X