BC/AD vs. BCE/CE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADG
    Talking about the timescale...why don't the whole world not change to a whole new kind of date, which means today is year 0 and there are 3 sundays a week
    For that matter, we could all be like the French and work 3 days a week.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy

Thinking about it, why isn't his birthyear 0AD, as '1AD' means 'one year after his birth' and '1BC' means 'one year before his birth?? Seems like there is a year missing....
      Because when the Julian calendar years were renumbered to use Christ's birth as the starting point, Europeans did not have, nor could they conceive of, the number zero. The number zero and the base ten numbering system were not adopted in Europe until the fourteenth century. Thus there is no Year 0.

It was my understanding that historians have placed the events described in Luke 2:1-2 in the year 4 BCE.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugrik

Because when the Julian calendar years were renumbered to use Christ's birth as the starting point, Europeans did not have, nor could they conceive of, the number zero. The number zero and the base ten numbering system were not adopted in Europe until the fourteenth century. Thus there is no Year 0.

It was my understanding that historians have placed the events described in Luke 2:1-2 in the year 4 BCE.
        Also, "Anno Domini" does not mean after birth. It means "In the Year of Our Lord." So 1 AD is the first year of Our Lord.

According to J.M. Roberts' excellent A History of the World (Penguin publishers, highly recommend it), there still is not a consensus, and likely never will be. A lot of people say 4 BCE because it makes it nice and pat that Jesus would have been 33 in 30 CE, when he was crucified, and the Bible says he was in his 33rd year.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

JellyDonut?

Is chow allowed in the barracks Pvt. Pyle? Are you allowed to eat jelly donuts Pvt. Pyle?
          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Use the Jewish calendar!
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

BCE/CE

AD - Anno Domini - "in the year of our lord"
              Well he isn't my lord. I can't say, "The year is 2001 AD.", because this means "2001 in the year of our lord". 2001 CE is fine with me.

BC - Before Christ. Christ isn't a name or a title. It means the messiah as foretold in the old testament. Even using BC concedes a religeous point, I'm not willing to concede (ie That Jesus was Christ.) If you are a jew you believe christ hasn't come yet. Atheists don't even believe he will ever exist. Only christians concede Jesus was Christ. Implicit in this term is an inherent belief in Christianity. BCE works fine for me.

AD/BC aren't used in large parts of the world. Perhaps firaxis will change it to BCE/CE in some of its country customizations. I hope they do it for the American release, as it really shouldn't confuse anyone.

This isn't political correctness. It is courtesy. Not calling a person on the street f*ckface or religeous freak isn't political correctness either. It is also common manner/coutesy.

Comment

This isn't political correctness. It is courtesy. Not calling a person on the street f*ckface or religeous freak isn't political correctness either. It is also common manner/coutesy.
                Of course it's PC. It's PC in the same way as saying "African American" instead of "Negro".
                Political correctness is appropriate in some cases, but in other it's just plain silly.
                CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf

... as BCE/CE seems to be some hypocritical political correct bull**** (no offense).
                  I fail to see how its hypocritical. And I still fail to see how its politically correct. I think the term you were searching for is just "correct".

Comment

Just curious......

Has this discussion ever been debated before? What I mean is, has the BC/BCE AD/CE issue ever been debated at all at anytime in history other than the past 3 years with such passion in the Western World?
                    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
                      Just curious......

Has this discussion ever been debated before? What I mean is, has the BC/BCE AD/CE issue ever been debated at all at anytime in history other than the past 3 years with such passion in the Western World?
                      Yes, repeatedly, bitterly, ad nauseum.

But, among historians, BCE/CE seems to be winning out.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I object to our "common era" being defined by the supposed date of birth of a historical figure who might or might not have existed, and who certainly has been more divisive than uniting. In what way is the age after the 11th of Nivôse in MDCCXCI before the Revolution any way the start of said "common era"?

Vive Le Calendaire Jacobien!
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Whoa...

I object to our "common era" being defined by the supposed date of birth of a historical figure who might or might not have existed
                          Hold on there, partner!

If you're referring to Jesus, there is no historical doubt that he did indeed exist. Jesus was certainly a real man. He is documented in more than just the Bible...Roman records refer to him, as do local Hebrew records.

The question is a theological one (his divinity), not his reality.

Cheers.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Put Common Era in. I don't mind. It'll seem strange to me, being raised with BC/AD, but it won't change the game any. It can probably be edited anyway.
                            "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I'd just go with starting the game at year 0 and counting upwards. What calender is used within the year isn't really important since Civ doesn't deal with time periods <1 year. However, mods of the game certainly will so the game should be customizable to use any calendar system it wants.

--
                              Jared Lessl

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
                                I object to our "common era" being defined by the supposed date of birth of a historical figure who might or might not have existed, and who certainly has been more divisive than uniting. In what way is the age after the 11th of Nivôse in MDCCXCI before the Revolution any way the start of said "common era"?

Vive Le Calendaire Jacobien!
                                Had I known a fellow revolutionary were among us, I might have wished you Bonne Année earlier this week.

Liberté! Egalité! Fraternité!
                                "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                                "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Working...
                                X