BC/AD vs. BCE/CE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC/AD vs. BCE/CE

This was raised on the poll about the positioning of the date. But now we must answer an infinitely more important question: should Firaxis use the traditional BC/AD or the secular BCE/CE method of determining years?
    BC/AD
    59.22%
    BCE/CE
    13.59%
    We should use the French Revolutionary calendar!
    13.59%
    Who cares?
    13.59%
    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

BC: Before Christ (?)
    AD: Anno Domine (year of god?)

What's that BCE/CE stuff?

To answer your question: I think BC/AD makes it easier to evaluate your playing, eg if you've got nukes in 1140 AD, you know you're doing quite good.
    CSPA

Comment

I think that BC/AD is better. It's better known and it is based in religious and cultural tradition, and that is what Civ is about

Comment

Re: BC/AD vs. BCE/CE

Originally posted by JellyDonut
        This was raised on the poll about the positioning of the date.
        I've created a monster! And I was just kidding! Wait a minute, isn't this what Dr. Frankenstein said ?
        Oh well, I'll go BC/AD (like we don't already know how it's going to be anyway).

Comment

BCE = Before Common (or Current) Era
          CE = Common (or Current) Era

A secular way of examining dates. I think it's better suited for Civ because it isn't based in the religion of just a few of the civs, i.e. it "works" with the Indians, Iroquois, Zulus, Japanese, etc.
          Last edited by JellyDonut; September 26, 2001, 03:34.
          "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
          "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

I really think the French Revolutionary calendar makes a lot of sense in a civ game, besides I never understood that BC/AD nonsense.
            Visit Gamacather (GC)!

Comment

A secular way of examining dates. I think it's better suited for Civ because it isn't based in the religion of just a few of the civs, i.e. it "works" with the Indians, Iroquois, Zulus, Japanese, etc.

I think the BCE/CE thing is a bunch of crap. It means the EXACT same thing as BC/AD. . the dates are the exact same. 200 BC = 200 BCE. I think it's funny how people get their shorts in a knot because the dating system was based on the christian calander, big flippin deal. I'm an atheist myself, but BC/AD is what we've had forever, and there's no reason to change it. I'm a bit more secure in my beliefs to feel challenged by an arbitrary dating system. It's just silly.
              -connorkimbro
              "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro
                ...but BC/AD is what we've had forever, and there's no reason to change it
                Exactly. Whats the point in having standard measuring systems when you keep changing the standard??

Btw JellyDonut, your definition of BCE and CE are the same...
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Raises the question:

How will time pass in the different ages?

Will they still have it take 200 years for a chariot to cross Egypt into Mesopotamia? (in BC at 50 years per turn, large map)
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

the last 2 posts are both right

everyone knows bc/ad, they gotta use it

the screens out now have bc/ad

bce/ce sounds kinda like a copy.....

anyone wanna tell me what the french revelutionary calender is?
                    Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro
                      [q]. . the dates are the exact same. 200 BC = 200 BCE.

Oh so this is just a question of the name, not the numbers. Well, I'll still stick with BC/AD, as BCE/CE seems to be some hypocritical political correct bull**** (no offense).

JellyDonut: You wrote the same about BCE and CE. I presume CE = Common Era?
                      CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut

I fully agree with you. BCE and CE are more politically correct. Anyway, newer history books seem to use them. Of course, its not too important.

Comment

Why not have no way of keeping time until you discover writing, then, all the years before writing are BW and all the ones after are AW. Or we could just say that you start counting years when your civ starts, because why would you use BC, if you haven't experience C?
                          I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                          New faces...Strange places,
                          Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                          -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

The times are just there for a historical reference. They are a nice feature, but they are irrelevant as far as gameplay goes.

Comment

connor,

I dunno, why would anybody use BC/AD, if Jesus of Nazareth wasn't born on 1AD, assuming that he actually did exist?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X