flat or sphere map ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat or sphere map ?

I hope I haven't missed an earlier thread or information on this subject ( in that case, never mind) but I was wondering about the map:

Will maps be a sphere as in CTP or at least have the option to be so?

I hope so anyway, it seemed to give a better "global" feeling.
    Last edited by Tjoepie; September 25, 2001, 05:05.
    Live long and prosper !

I believe that it is an option (well, maybe not on earth map). Because of possible scenarios there will be a flat map option included (I think).
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

i dont know. i hope there are several options ...

Comment

The maps in CtP were not spheres. Wrap-arounds yes, but not spheres.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

ok, you'r right, I just could not find the right word , thanks m8.

Anyway you all know what I mean ...
          Live long and prosper !

Comment

Well the technical term used in the game is "Doughnut" (or is it "Donut").

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Time to start a Civ4 wishlist.
              #1 Playing on a globe!
              A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
              Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
                Time to start a Civ4 wishlist.
                #1 Playing on a globe!
                Yeah, but please do not add the donut world they had in ctp, this means you go a little north to northpole and then your unit is placed on the southpole...that was way bad...but a globe would be very cool to have
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

They should give you a flat/donut/sphere option...all three have different tactics that could come into play.

Comment

Whoa....my head hurts

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                    Well the technical term used in the game is "Doughnut" (or is it "Donut").

And that's the only way to connect the ends of the map as well!
                    Very humorous, especially if you are into math and the like.

I wonder what the repurcussions of radio communications are? You might be able to send communications across the donut hole by beaming them into space. And then of course there would the amusing problem of trying to orbit the world. Do you orbit it around the long donut or orbit through the hole? If orbit through the hole, gravity would be rather low since you would be attracted by the nearby donut across the hole. You'd only get a clear view of space if you orbitted around the donut's equator. An orbit across the pole (keep in mind the pole does not run through ANY land) might be very difficult. I'm not even going to consider tidal forces or weather.

Well, if we ever discover a donut planet, we must investigate it

Now I will never be able to look at a Civ map the same way!!!

Comment

Spheres are too complicated to tile with squares.

Originally posted by Triped
                      They should give you a flat/donut/sphere option...all three have different tactics that could come into play.
                      The sphere program is difficult to reduce to a 2D grid. Look at Mercator projects, etc....they all distort.

However, an unfolded donut has perfect symmetry and no distortion. It's the ideal world for a game, if you can deal with the pain of thinking of it that way.

A ha! We create a buckyball type world with hexagonal tiles....that would work

Comment

the best map would be made of hexagons (6 sided), and have a true north-south wraparound.
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I don't know if I liked the 'donut' in CTP; but I know I didn't like only being able to circumnavigate the world by going East-West and not North-South, that was very unrealistic.

Comment

When I am on a donut-shaped planet, I like to travel NNE! That way, you get to see almost everything

Comment

Populous had a really cool world map (it was an actaul sphere, for those of you who haven't played it) The only real question is how to implement it in civ
                              Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Working...
                              X