Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a little Genocide between allies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yah, didn't think about that. Good call CtG

Are all turns one year...even in BC? Because if not, in the early stages of the game, it would be even longer to kill less people.
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Thanks, guys. Those are going in my sig.

Orange, I just assumed that the most furious competition would be in the Modern era. You really don't need your enemies cities then so your choice would most likely be genocide. If I had to wait 20 turns for to kill a city then wiping out a city would be worthless. I'd probably lose 5 times over by then.
      "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
      "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
      "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

bah. i proposed that exact same idea back in the "disbanding a city" thread, 2 pop per turn.

but i dont like the "more units faster raze" thing. if you take over a city and fill it with 20 marines it dies in one turn
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Christantine The Great
          A turn is approx. a year, right? Would it take decades to wipe out a city with 1,000,000 citizens? I don't think so.
          Most likely yes, even not decades then years. Before you get to kill 1/10 of the population the rest will turn against you. They have nothing to lose. They will die if they don't fight anyway.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

This is a good idea (regardless of who's it is) but 2 pop per turn would be better. This idea may have some faults but I'm too tired to find any.

Edit:With that post I just became a King.
            Last edited by TechWins; September 23, 2001, 01:26.
            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Genoside might be tough to do during fighting. A unit taking a city might have other things on its plate than killing farmer John, things like defending the city from counterattacks. In other words, no reducing or disbanding cities if there is still a unit of that cities nationality or an allied nationality adjacent.

However, the population might start fleeing, swelling nearby cities...and they might not be such happy citezens either. Call em 'refugee citizen points' or something. Takes a while to assimilate them and they are more prone to unrest, eat but don't work, that sort of thing.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I think that relocation is a better game idea than genocide.

If as the Germans you take a French size 20 city it would be very difficult to culturally assimilate all 20 Frenchman; and it would be equally difficult to kill all 20.. However if you could relocate a couple each turn to other cities the task would be made easier.

The benefit of this is that you retain the newly acquired population. It would also be easier to justify the destruction of a city in a couple of game turns when you are a democracy (i.e anit genocide in theory).
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

i can't believe he came up with a serious and good idea but he did. i think he's completely right it should take many turns to destroy a large city and its improvements
                  Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

i too am in favor of this idea, however, in early-midway through the game, a turn spans many years, and it's not unreasonable to imagine an entire city being killed off in that amount of time. the same holds true for the modern era of the game, because a turn would presumably last a whole year, and with modern technology a city could be killed off that quickly
                    Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

Everybody who says that you should be able to do this and that in a turn because its a year is plain stupid and doesnt know **** about civ.
                      Is it realistic that armor moves 3 squares in a year?
                      Is it realistic that it takes 20 years for a modern ship to move around the world?
                      No, but its fun.

Btw, i dont think you should be able to destroy cities in a turn. the gameplay in especially multiplayer but also singleplayer would suffer.
                      this was quoted form a post by donjoel in the 'city capture options' forum. Although he says it a bit harshly, I agree with him cmplete ly.
                      Last edited by dainbramaged13; September 23, 2001, 09:22.
                      And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

i think it is a good idea ... it must work because it lasted through testing. IMHO, 5pop per turn sounds best. anyway, would u really want to destroy a valuable 23pop city???

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon

Perhaps the improvement 'concentration camps' could speed the process up, say by having 2 population points die per unit.
                          Is there any way we can killfile members of this forum? Why do I have to subject myself to such stupidity?

Comment

or go CTPesque and make a "Genocider" unit
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

He would have a mustache and speak with a funny German accent...
                              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                              New faces...Strange places,
                              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

vhe are here keel you.

Comment

Working...
                                X