International Waters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Waters?

Does anyone know whether the seas are open to all vessels or can they be owned? I'm wondering whether ships will be able to move into any sea zone regardless of where the borders cross.

From the screen shots, it seems to me that the borders do extend into the water.

Perhaps there will be both: international waters and some that are withing borders?
    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Seas are like land. You need a right of passage agreement to avoid possibly going to war. Makes it interesting if you control all the important straits in the game.

Comment

Interesting! I like the idea that some seaways can be owned because I always hated the fact that a potential enemy could sit right next to my land and I couldn't do anything about it unless I declared war.

This is a good fix.

What about subs? Do you know whether these will be invisible to any ships? Would be nice... for spying purposes of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jsw363
        Seas are like land. You need a right of passage agreement to avoid possibly going to war. Makes it interesting if you control all the important straits in the game.
        Whoa! That is cool! Hadn't thought about that. Constantinople will be a great city indeed!

Comment

Double Post

Comment

too my eyes it seems that it will only extend one tiles into the water, thats the way in real life, stay away from my shores damn it!

Comment

to my eyes it appears that it will extend further than that in some places.
              Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

in no screen shots have i seen what you have mentions except for one old one..

Comment

That would be even better! It would allow for a 200 nautical mile buffer from potential enemies, while still adhearing to the international law that ocean remain free and open. I like that!

...it'll let me station my fleet just off of the coast of my enemy, while I bide my time, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike.

Comment

wait nevermind it does in a few

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
                      in no screen shots have i seen what you have mentions except for one old one..
                      In all the screenshots on the civ3 site the borders extend DEEP into the water, much further than one tile.

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
                        wait nevermind it does in a few

Comment

It looks like it's determined by the depth of the water--you can only own the shallows.

Comment

Great idea. It will be fun to own a city like Constantinople. Gives you a bit more flexibility than in Civ 2.

Comment

In CTP pbem we have a universal rule. 2 squares from your land continent is considered "International Waters". Of course people somtimes make ridiculous claims to the contrary.

I think this will be carried over to Civ3. It has to be 2 squares makes sense right? In real life its 14 miles off a coastline..Of course Nations do claim more, but those claims are not recognized (EG-Libya and the gulf of Cydra)

Comment

Working...
                              X