Civilization for polyglots - crazy idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KoalaBear33
    Do we get subtitles like in foreign films?

KoalaBear33
    Ah! In a video game, it's still better within a window than on a letterbox DVD format ( lower black bar for the vast majority owning a standard TV ). However the DVD is the example to follow regarding languages coding, but a costly one and I agree with those saying that the time effort to do so for a game company is unrealistic of course. De toute façon beaucoup de mes amis francophones, comme moi, jouent en version originale anglaise.
    The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
      yea. thats just what i need.

German Emissary: UNSER GROßER FüHRER, OTTO VON BISMARK, MöCHTE ALLE ZERSTöREN SIE SOLDATEN, IHRE FRAUEN RAUBEN UND IHRE JUNGE ESSEN!

Me: Yes, i would like to trade coal for iron.

BTW, should be GROSSER not GROßER. The ß turns into "SS" when capitalized.

From the zompist.com phrasebook:

Impressed as I am with the New Wave in cinematography, I must say that this particular film seemed both pretentious and unsatisfying, and that the director's imagery, though compelling, is no substitute for a true cinematic message.
      Mais c'est de la merde, ce navet.
      A esto le llamo yo estiércol cinematográfico.
      Der Film ist Scheiße.
      On topic, however, if it weren't an option, I'd be restricted to the British, Germans, French, and Russians. I'd like to be able to play the Chinese without learning all their weird symbols or the Indians without learning the Devanaagari alphabet.

And what would the Americans be? Probably English, but technically America has no official language.

Virtually nobody would play the Babylonians, Aztecs, Romans, or Egyptians as those languages have all died out. Nor the Persians or the Zulus, because there aren't that many computers in those parts of the world.
      "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
      "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

I'm all about the Romans. Veni, Vidi, Vici

Comment

You know, this could be interesting.

Have them SPEAK in their native tounge, but have the written translation in English (subtitles I guess ) on the screen!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Haben Sie Müsli?
            Ja, jag spelar fotboll i Talkulla IF.
            Will you join me, and attack the Babylonians?
            La quenta, por favor!
            Voulez vous couché avec moi?

very interesting.... The idea is inviting. That wouldn't add to the gameplay, but surely would increase the realism. And vocabulary
            I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Bigspear
              I know, translator screens certain things so it changes it quite a bit. But itdid enough to show it was not a trade offer .
              Thx for posting the correct translation
              Translation from freetranslation.com:

OUR LARGER leader, OTTO OF BISMARK, would like ALL DESTROYING YOU SOLDIERS, YOUR MS. ROBBERY AND YOUR BOYS MEAL!

I couldn't tell what kind of weird offer that was, but i realized it was not a trade one.

Interesting idea krzysiek, but it would take too long to do it.
              Visit Gamacather (GC)!

Comment

Originally posted by Pggar

Translation from freetranslation.com:

OUR LARGER leader, OTTO OF BISMARK, would like ALL DESTROYING YOU SOLDIERS, YOUR MS. ROBBERY AND YOUR BOYS MEAL!

I couldn't tell what kind of weird offer that was, but i realized it was not a trade one.

Interesting idea krzysiek, but it would take too long to do it.
                Here's what Babelfish says:

"OUR GROssER FueHRER, PETROL OF UNTIL MARK, MoeCHTE ALL ZERSToeREN IT SOLDIER, HER WIVES ROBBING AND ITS BOY MEAL!"

It obviously has problems with special characters (dipthongs?) and proper names!

Comment

Unrealistic.

Costly.

Would take some time.

No one will play it since we can't use such a game that we don't understand. Except maybe only once, to see how it's like. I'd take a Latin/English dictionary in such a case.

Conclusion: Not a lot of advantages to compensates the fact of simply making fun of seeing it in different languages
                  Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

I agree with Trifna (and many others it seems).

It's simply to costly and would take too much time...

But could've been cool though!!
                    My Website: www.geocities.com/civcivciv2002/index.html
                    My Forums: http://pub92.ezboard.com/bacivcommunity

Comment

While having a multitude of languages in the game would be hard to do, and costly, it could (dare I keep up the argument any longer? ) contribute to gameplay as well.
                      At first, other civs would use their own language, BUT, as time goes on and certain civs gain greater power and dominance over the others, perhaps the other civs that haven't kept up could start using antother civilisations language during diplomacy. It would be an interesting and somewhat subtle way of seeing how dominant your civilisation or someone elses is.
                      But then again, that would just be too much trouble to put in, but I just wanted to say that it could actually be useful, rather than a little distraction so you could have a little chuckle at how strange some of the languages sound
                      You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

Originally posted by Pggar

Using native languages would be cool but would take too long. I want my civ now!

Comment

Hmmm... How do you manage voice tracks for the Carthaginians, Persians, and Egyptians? Cool idea, tho. However, any bilinguals who have watched subtitled movies know how well that system works!
                          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                          intelligence to few.

Comment

I don't like this idea. I don't want to be forced to learn chinese for two years and more, only to be able to understand the chinese leader

Comment

Actually I like this idea, if you can choose to have subtitles on for certain rulers- it could teach people languages.
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

next after sidgolf - SidLANGUAGE - in this exciting journey into the mind of a leader, sid and his team (actually sid had no knowledge this was ever being made in the first place, he just sits around and drinks coffe playing golf and simcity all day) have created the masterpiece of learning and fun!! learn all different languages as you speak to repetitive animations of misrepresentations of historical leaders who say the exact same thing every time you meet them! Then listen to depressing advisors who always tell you youre doing the wrong thing in a language you cant understand! Buy it today, and you'll be entitled to spend another $40 bucks on each of the 6 expansion packs, each adding a language and one feature that should have been in the game in the first place.

sorry firaxis, couldn't resist
                                And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Working...
                                X