Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization for polyglots - crazy idea

The idea is simple.
    Each civilization representative will talk to you in his/her native language.
    French in French, English and Americans in English, Germans in German, Greeks in Greece, Romans in Latin.
    Most of us will have problems during conversation with Chinese, Babylonians, Indians, Egyptians, Persians, Aztecs, Japanese, Zulus ...
    Moreover if you start playing with (for example) Greeks (almost) all text/speech will be in Greek.

I think it's funny.
    Firaxis could do one release for all the world (no localizations).

What do you think?

Hmmmm...erm, lemme think about this one

(0.26 seconds elapse)

NO!

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It could have been great if they had the budget to do so...Voiceovers in native language, yes, but the player can choose subtitles of a most-talked language ( English, Spanol, Francais, etc...)
      The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Sure, this feature could be an option (turn on/off).
        I guess that majority will play in English.

Comment

Ummm....

(0.00038 seconds elapse)

No

If there were subtitles, it might be cool, but it's not realistic to ask for this in a game.

Comment

Originally posted by krzysiek
            Sure, this feature could be an option (turn on/off).
            I guess that majority will play in English.
            Not realistic, especially if it's only an option. Adding all the voices and text would take forever. Haven't we waited long enough for civ3?

Comment

People have been able to communicate with each other in time, without different languages, and the languages has developed apart, there is always people that know more then one language. That means whatever language one speak in you should understand it, and therefor all civs should use the same language.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

It was partly in Alien Crossfire, you first had to learn Progenitor Psych before you could communicate with the Aliens.

Perhaps this is the purpose of the Tower of Babel wonder, after building it nobody can understand each other, till the invention of Esperanto.

Or third option, till the Renaisance they communicate in Latin, after that french and after 1945 in english.

In fact I would like to hear some other languages than just english. Movies which use the language of the country the people belong to have more athmosphere. I think it always stupid to see a WWII movie there also the germans speak english, or the same movie on german television there also the british speak german.

For all the needed languages nationals are living in the States, so it should not be more difficult to let the leaders speak in there own language than to use only english language actors.

Comment

yea. thats just what i need.

German Emissary: UNSER GROßER FüHRER, OTTO VON BISMARK, MöCHTE ALLE ZERSTöREN SIE SOLDATEN, IHRE FRAUEN RAUBEN UND IHRE JUNGE ESSEN!

Me: Yes, i would like to trade coal for iron.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Do we get subtitles like in foreign films?

KoalaBear33

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                      yea. thats just what i need.

German Emissary: UNSER GROßER FüHRER, OTTO VON BISMARK, MöCHTE ALLE ZERSTöREN SIE SOLDATEN, IHRE FRAUEN RAUBEN UND IHRE JUNGE ESSEN!

Ps. If you don't speak German go to Freetranslation.com to get the gist
                      "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
                      "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

Comment

i'll write what i was trying to say... translators dont do it justice.

German Emissary: our great king , OTTO VON BISMARK, wants to destroy your soldiers, rape your women, and eat your young.

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                          i'll write what i was trying to say... translators dont do it justice.

German Emissary: our great king , OTTO VON BISMARK, wants to destroy your soldiers, rape your women, and eat your young.

Comment

I know, translator screens certain things so it changes it quite a bit. But itdid enough to show it was not a trade offer .
                            Thx for posting the correct translation
                            "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
                            "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

Comment

I'm so proud. I translated UberKrux's thingy almost entirely using my English, French, and slight 7-word knowledge of German, including Jugen, Soldaten, and anything in Indiana Jones (which my mother ALWAYS corrects the subtitles of)!

Your.Master

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.

Comment

Working...
                              X