Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, so what are these terrain improvements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so what are these terrain improvements?

I have seen these on grassland tiles. They are not colonies because they are within the city radius, and don't look like them. They are not mines because I have seen these on mountains and they look different and they are not irrigated either. So what are they? The attachments show a load of these buildings around the city of Samarra, and I have highlighted one by circling it in red. It would seem strange if they are fortresses, especially so many of them around the city...
    Attached Files
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

I know people complained for a long time that they wanted suburbs, but this doesn't look like that. In case you can't tell, I have no clue what's going on and this is useless spam

Comment

Seriously though, what screenshot did that come from? It's hard to see exactly what's going on in the piece you posted.

Comment

It's from the www.civ3.com gallery. Look at any of the screenshots of the empire and you will notice these things are quite prominent around some of the cities.

Now what I reckoned it could possibly be is where there is construction work queued for a worker, which will eventually come along and complete the work.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Okay. I don't have much time to look right now, but I'll get to it later today so you can have my expert opinion

EDIT: I made a couple seconds of free time.... They might be some sort of trading post ala CtP (increases trade like irrigation increases food)

Comment

I know that you don't think that they're mines, but could it be that the other things you've identified as mines are advanced mines (like CTP)?

Comment

They're mines.

Dan
              Dan Magaha
              Firaxis Games, Inc.
              --------------------------

Comment

thanks for the info Dan!

and btw Dan means like iron mines and coal mines, not landmines

Comment

you honestly couldnt tell those were mines?

would you prefer the civ2 "hut" mines?

next question: how come you can mine grasslands? (it used to be a "forest" command.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                    They're mines.

Dan
                    What do you mine on grassland?
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

i guess it just gives you a normal shield increse like it used to do on hills/desert/mtns?

maybe its an industrial city?
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                        i guess it just gives you a normal shield increse like it used to do on hills/desert/mtns?

maybe its an industrial city?
                        I was asking for what mineral that can be mined on grassland.
                        (I don't know if there is any, but as it is possible to build mines Firaxis must know something that I don't)
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

i've seen iron deposits on grassland squares, so i am guessing that those mines are on iron

Comment

I doubt there's that much iron around one city...maybe the mines just represent using the square for manufacturing rather than farming.

Comment

for one thing the screenshot could just be a mockup but to prove to you that their could be that much iron around one city look at this screenshot, the city in it has alot of iron surrounding it

same goes with elephants in this screenshot

Comment

Working...
                              X