Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downgraded Leonardos Workshop (if still in)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downgraded Leonardos Workshop (if still in)

The Leonardos Workshop wonder was waaaay to powerful in Civ-2. It unbalanced the game. It was easily much more worthwhile then the Eiffeltower + Darwins Voyage + Statue of Liberty put together. Hell, even if they added Cure for Cancer also, and if I was forced to choose between these four wonder OR Leonardos Workshop, I think would have chosen the latter anyway. I dont know if its still in. If it is, it must be downgraded. I suggest:

- LW is now a small Wonder, available for those who have earned enough veteran combat-points.
    - You must pay an upgrade-fee for each unit - still favourable compared with building from scratch.
    - You can only upgrade units fortified in your cities. You must bring them in.
    - Any achieved veteran/elite combat-status falls down one step, in the process.

Such a "downgraded" small Leonardos Workshop Wonder, would still be a very attractive to have, the way I see it. Finally, (I almost forgot) you cannot upgrade any unit-type to any different updated unit-type, of course.

- Bombers only to advanced bombers
    - Early wooden warships only to advanced wooden warships
    - Infantry defence-units only to more advanced infantry defence-units
    - Early tanks only to modern tanks, and so on.
    Last edited by Ralf; September 16, 2001, 14:39.

No, no, leave Leonardo's exactly the way it is -- I love it! (But I agree that's probably BECAUSE it's too powerful!)
    Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkuul
      No, no, leave Leonardo's exactly the way it is -- I love it! (But I agree that's probably BECAUSE it's too powerful!)
      But 9 times out of 10, the veteran-player got it - and this wonder was exclusive. AI-civs couldnt catch up easily. How fun is it to kick on already laying men? Dont you guys want a more challenging game?

Comment

yah but i still cant beat occ on deity so..
        And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Re: Downgraded Leonardos Workshop (if still in)

Originally posted by Ralf
          The Leonardos Workshop wonder was waaaay to powerful in Civ-2. It unbalanced the game. It was easily much more worthwhile then the Eiffeltower + Darwins Voyage + Statue of Liberty put together. Hell, even if they added Cure for Cancer also, and if I was forced to choose between these four wonder OR Leonardos Workshop, I think would have chosen the latter anyway. I dont know if its still in. If it is, it must be downgraded. I suggest:
          I agree with you with one exception!!

In diety, Statue is extremely valauable if you play the Statue --> fundy method.

Nothing like being in Fundy early, stacking up the bucks and kicking major ass!! I

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
            yah but i still cant beat occ on deity so..
            WIMP!! Drop and give me 20!!

Comment

Don't be so wimpy.

Comment

No, no, leave Leonardo's exactly the way it is -- I love it!
                I agree.

Comment

ahhh... in one turn all my warriors/phalanxes/legions/archers/pikemen turn into musketeers.

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Always gotta get that Leo on Deity level - instant warriors to musketeers. Then immediately to riflemen, and all horsemen to dragoons.

Agreed, it's WAY too powerful. I love it, but it really does skew the game way too much. I like Ralf's ideas: bring the units back to town & pay a SMALL upgrade fee - maybe 1/4 or 1/2 the cost of building a unit from scratch.

Comment

Leo SHOULD NOT be in civ3 if it opperates as it does in civ2! remember in addition to shields you now have to consider special resources too

but i liked Ralf's idea about the LW as a small wonder, it didn't sound unbalanced, in fact it sounds like a nice little addition

Comment

Most of the wonders weren't as powerful as i wanted in civ 2, and in civ 3 they'll be even weaker. that blows serious hamster ass. in SMAC, however, almost all the projects were powerful enough to give you a serious edge. I might let them have the merchant exchange, or something crappy like that (taking that city later, of course) but if you were the university, you could often build the projects before the others even research them, and it would give you a faction-crushing edge over them. After civ 3, i can't wait for SMAC 2
                        Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

originally posted by isaac brock
                          Most of the wonders weren't as powerful as i wanted in civ 2, and in civ 3 they'll be even weaker. that blows serious hamster ass.
                          To me, some of Civ II's wonders were totally unbalancing - Leo's leads the list, but Adam Smith was a bit much as was the Great Wall early in the game.

Then there were others that were weak: Shakespeare's Theater comes to mind on this list, the Lighthouse expires too quickly.

And then the totally stupid ones: if I build the Apollo Program or Manhattan Project, why should the whole world benefit?

I don't mind if Civ III's wonders are weaker: I just don't want any that are mindless or totally unbalance the game.

I do have every confidence that they're playtesting the hell out of the game, so hopefully they'll get it right.

Comment

Well, it's getting really late for me (5:30am wake up & it's 11:30pm right now), so I wasn't able to read every post, sorry. I want to make this point clear, though, before I go to bed.

It's going to be rather difficult having units upgraded with the resource requirements for units.

Also sorry about the lack of elaboration on that thought.
                            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I think its a good bet that Leonardo's will be a Small Wonder, meaning each civ can have one. In a similar vein, note how Sun Tzu's Academy is now the generic Military Academy Small Wonder.

I agree that its good if units could only upgrade if of the same type. In other words, you couldn't have a Trireme and keep upgrading it to a Battleship. At some point it reaches the end of the wooden ship line and should stop there.

Comment

Working...
                              X