Movement points on railroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movement points on railroad

Does anyone know if the movement points on railroad in civ3 will be the same as in civ2?

That is, no movement points at all. I liked that a lot!
    Not realistic, but it increased the fun!
    Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
    If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
    "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Well I would prefer that railroads use MP. I really think it is unrealistic for railroads to allow instant mouvement. By the way it is only my point of view.....

Comment

IMO the no-movement-cost -type railroad is very annoying, I actually hate it. How on earth the railroad can be faster than aeroplane??? I hope they have a better solution, like a fixed number of movements per turn. It would also be cool, that between the cities the direction could not be changed
      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I liked it also, but it was pretty unrealistic, so the only way to make it good for all people is to make it optional if it should be infinite or not, I don't think this could take that long to put into the game
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

well, its probably the same, because everyone so far seems to like it, but admit its unrealistic, and sid said that he always chose fun over realism; much as i had hoped. Still, the ctp system was also alright, because there were so many levels of road
          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Did so many people like that 'infinity' aspect? I got used to it, but never actually thought it was 'great' or anything.

1/10th movement would be better in my view -still powerful, and yet more realistic. Anyway, I bet/hope it is adjustable in the rules.txt

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
              Still, the ctp system was also alright, because there were so many levels of road
              Well, I really loved that part of ctp where there where 3 levels many of those improvemts, but because of the PW system I almost never used the first 2 levels of roads, farms, etc.
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

It's unrealistic but handy, especially on very large maps. But I like the idea that there could be an optional "something" in between roads and limitless movement.

But again, if we wre looking at realism, we'd have to wonder about the one-year timeframe to move anywhere. Giventhe choice, I'd probably go with unlimited railroads.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Legacy
                  ...1/10th movement would be better in my view -still powerful, and yet more realistic. Anyway, I bet/hope it is adjustable in the rules.txt
                  I think you mean movement points multiplied by ten. But I think that no railway is significantly faster than other, so it could be between 10 and 15 movement points for all ground units (from slow worker to fast tank), because a train moves relatively same speed regardless the load it carries.

Comment

Originally posted by Earwicker
                    ...But again, if we wre looking at realism, we'd have to wonder about the one-year timeframe to move anywhere. Giventhe choice, I'd probably go with unlimited railroads.
                    Yes, and the bombers can stay in flight for two years

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo

I think you mean movement points multiplied by ten. But I think that no railway is significantly faster than other, so it could be between 10 and 15 movement points for all ground units (from slow worker to fast tank), because a train moves relatively same speed regardless the load it carries.
                      Like in Civ2, where each move over road would cost 1/3 movement point. I claim that my way of expressing it is more true to the Civ legacy!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Legacy
                        Like in Civ2, where each move over road would cost 1/3 movement point. I claim that my way of expressing it is more true to the Civ legacy!
                        Yes, it would be more true to the civ legacy, but it wouldn't be realistic. I mean, a tank would have 50 (?) moves, when infantry would have 10 or 20 (?) moves. Well, whatever it'll be, I'll play it anyway

Comment

Yes, it would be more true to the civ legacy, but it wouldn't be realistic. I mean, a tank would have 50 (?) moves, when infantry would have 10 or 20 (?) moves. Well, whatever it'll be, I'll play it anyway
                          That would be 30 steps on railroad for an Armor, yes.

But I didn't intend the 1/10th number to be authorative or anything. Perhaps 1/6 or 1/8 is better.

Comment

I hope it will stay as it was. I know it isn't realistic, but it adds fun to the game.
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I concur, railway movement should be the same for all units.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X