No announcement yet.

The Chunnel, Firaxis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, put the chunnel in. I don't see why not.

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
      nice picture

i agree entirely..

and yes m an american, and no i dont think like that

dont generalize people

i could say a swedes do all day is have sex and polay volleyball

but that wouldnt do the other one percent that drink rum and smoke crack all day justice..
      Someone asked for where the spelling Yuorope come from, and that is the only place I've seen it before. I know most Americans know more then that.
      Now, where is Sweden on that map?
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Isn't it spelt Sweeden?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Personally I think the Chunnel should be in. Its a hell of an enginering feat.
          The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

CIV3 has 3 types of seas, "coasts", "seas" and "oceans". I assume the coasts are those squares next to land, seas are within a few tiles of land, and oceans are all far from land.

The Chunnel could be built on coastal tiles only. Thus, it would be only 2 tiles in length, and there may be games in which it cannot be built. An alternative is to make it cross coasts and seas, but be limited to three or four tiles in length.
            None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

Someone asked for where the spelling Yuorope come from, and that is the only place I've seen it before. I know most Americans know more then that.
              Now, where is Sweden on that map?
              red jon already answered but to repeat: its what was in his location field "Ingland, Yurop"

and sweden is over there near where santa be at

and i think the chunnel should be the result of a tech advance which allows underwater tunnels (to build it select chunnel under orders, select begin and end points and then the engineer starts building it).
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by star mouse
                The Chunnel could be built on coastal tiles only. Thus, it would be only 2 tiles in length, and there may be games in which it cannot be built. An alternative is to make it cross coasts and seas, but be limited to three or four tiles in length.
                I wouldn't set a limit on how long it can be, but make the "cost" increase exponentially.

A single tile Chunnel would cost 10 units. Two tiles would cost 20 units. Three tiles would cost 40 units. etc.. What constitutes a unit depends on the way tile improvements are implemented in the game. (E.g engineer turns, public works, whatever)

That way the is no limit if there is a stratgic point that you want to connect by road or rail, but there is a prohibitive nature to the work you wish to perform.

Comment

This is a good idea but I don't want too many wonders.
                  However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Good idea, though you might not like the outcome.
                    Don't forget the continental side of the tunnel resides in France. And Infrogrames is a French company.

And I guess most of us know the way of thinking of the french (anything that has something to do with france, even though it's only very little, is considered French. Look at the "Strait of Dover" (smallest part of the Channel) Whole world knows it by this name, except them. The call it the strait of Calais or something like that).

So if it's in there one day, it migth show up in the descriptions as a french wonder or something like that?

Anyway, for the non-yurops in here, here's a pic of the english end of the "Chunnel" (Taken from the British Encarta site)
                    Attached Files
                    -------------------------------><------------------------------
                    History should be known for learning from the past...
                    Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.
                    -------------------------------><------------------------------

Comment

Well most of the world calls it the English Channel. The French are more reserved and call it Le (or is it La?) Manche, or the sleeve IIRC. They don't call it the French Channel as you'd have expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

The USA shares the americas with many other countries, such as Canada, Mexico, Brazil Ect...

I thought that 'Yank' was the excepted term.

What does this have to do with the thread, anyways?

look, Americans are called Americans because of the name of the country they live in, not the name of the continent. I am an American because i live in the United States of America, just like the people from Canada are Canadians.
                        Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

btw, I love this idea for a wonder, I highly doubt it will be in the game, but it is an excellent idea IMO
                          Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard
                            red jon already answered but to repeat: its what was in his location field "Ingland, Yurop"
                            Yes, but he also said that someone just said him to spell it in that way, and what I know that pic has existed longer.
                            and sweden is over there near where santa be at

Aha!

and i think the chunnel should be the result of a tech advance which allows underwater tunnels (to build it select chunnel under orders, select begin and end points and then the engineer starts building it).
                            Sounds like a good way to do it, but it will not be a wonder then, but a terrain improvement. (As I wanted chanals to be ) If we may add it; it will be a wonder, as I don't think the tools allow us to create that type of improvements.
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I think that wonders like the canal and chunnel (if it makes it into the game), should be able to be built more than once. If there were another place where a great canal were needed, I'm sure somebody would build one.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X