Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now, if YOU were the Firaxis PR person...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapcase,

While I would have prefered Firaxis to have delayed the game if MP was not finished, I would simply be satisfied and less pissed if they had just told me it wasn't going to be included.

I probably would have said well I hardly ever play MP so I really don't care all that much. But hearing it through a rumor with no new information or something to say hey we are working hard and the game is coming along makes me believe that we are all getting screwed by Infogrames.

I'll tell you what if they had given me the letter that I wrote or something similar to it I would have made a total of three posts on the subject. One wow I can't believe MP is not in. Two that is a disappointment. Three well I guess SP is this fall and I can prefect it before MP.

But because nothing has been said and they seem to be hiding stuff from us I have posted 25 posts against the whole concept. I am angry. Whether Kelly can fix it with a letter sometime this week will remain to be seen. Depends on what info they give us.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf

some of the more childish rantings
      Sorry to disagree with your polite remark, but why is it a childish ranting when I say I, personally will not buy any more games from Firaxis? I was simply stating a fact, not demanding anyone else to boycott the company (though, at second thought, it might be a good idea ).
      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
        As someone who has "dabbled" a bit in PR (on a student/political level), I think Firaxis up until this last slip-up (still not confirmed, btw) were doing fairly well though I agree they could have done a whole lot better. Yin, on the other hand, is doing a pretty damn terrible job, and manages to get everyone annoyed at him.
        Oh, no. At the worst, it may be said of Yin that he is polarizing the factions, so to speak. I, for example, agree with 98.5 % of what he says, and I don´t think I am the only follower of the Yin cult. Leonidas, for example, seems to view the case pretty much as we do. Anyone else who does want to join the 'Yin Alliance'?
        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
          Anyone else who does want to join the 'Yin Alliance'?
          No. Please no clubs, alliances, or groups again. Last time it happened the thread went to war over some silly titles.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

There is no need for clubs or alliances; but there is a need for a healthy dose of scepticism.

CivIII could have been released in a brown paper bag at any time of the year, and it would sell hundreds of thousands of copies. It is one of the most anticipated titles of the year. There is no need for cheap tricks, short-cuts, deadline dates, etc, etc. . .

But when the suits scan bottomlines, then deadlines rear their ugly heads. . .

I hope I am wrong, but unfortunately, it all appears to be following a familiar pattern: deadline date - therefore - no demo, no 800x600 resolution, no outside testing, no multiplayer, only sixteen civs, etc, etc. . .

The deadline date is determining the testing and the content. This is not a good way to start.

And IF (and I strongly use the word IF) MP is not included in the Oct release - then that means Firaxis is trying to pull a fast one on their most dedicated fan base. It's not until you get to the store to buy Civ3 that you realize that MP is not included. Even then, from the description on the box, you may not even know it's not included until you get it home.

Also, look at all the pre-release orders for the game from people who had been expecting MP to be included. I'd be darned ticked if I had done that.

Firaxis needs to deal with this issue ASAP - especially if it's not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
              Firaxis needs to deal with this issue ASAP - especially if it's not true.
              They need to deal this ASAP regardless. That is what this PR thread is all about. A good PR person would spin any problem like a lack of MP to mean great things. This means saying what a lot of you have said that cutting MP only makes SP stronger. I don't believe it but that is what they should say. And quickly. They have to get something out to counter people like me that are running scared.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

No. Please no clubs, alliances, or groups again.
                And I thought it was obvious I was making a joke.

Comment

I have edited in a substantial portion to my opening remarks in this thread. The edit is inspired by a question from Markos. Please take a look and give me your thoughts. Thanks.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

yin, i dont care about impressions and public announcements

i only care about what the final game will be like. i'll judge firaxis on that
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

MarkG

i only care about what the final game will be like. i'll judge firaxis on that
                      i agree completely, all i want is a high quality civ3, no matter when it comes out (be it today or next june)

Comment

Markos:

Your approach is the sane one. For same crazy reason, though, I think it pays to make our concerns known PRIOR to the release of the game. Following your line of thinking, the List probably never would have happened, either, since your stance is a passive one.

Again, that's fine. You have saved yourself a lot of worry, no doubt. But if Firaxis peeks on these boards and rethinks some issues even ONCE for the betterment of Civ3, I'll be happy.
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                          Following your line of thinking, the List probably never would have happened, either, since your stance is a passive one.
                          nothing to do with that!!! the List was the right thing to at the right time!

with a release date around 45 days away from now, why should i give much thought on what civ3 might come out in a feww weeks? or whine about something that SEEMS to be wrong (IF it is true in the first place)?

btw, so much for going on exile...

Comment

I already announced my come-back. Though if I decide to wait to buy Civ 3 until May of next year, I'll probably avoid the forums during that period. And if I never decide to buy Civ 3, look for me in the MOO3 section.

Markos, the word 'whine' is really unfair. I realize you like to look at the bright side and all that, but the lack of demo and public beta even when Jeff wanted to do one, raises valid concerns. And certainly the possibility (AGAIN!) of no MP on release will give players a good reason to voice their unhappines at the decision. Call it whining if you want. Firaxis can ignore it as whining, too.

But does it makes sense to ignore your customers' concerns?

You are certainly free to throw up your hands, ignore the signs and make the normal excuses for the developers that you always do. As I said in FAO4: It's your job not to be critical I guess, no matter how clearly the situation might call for it.

Carry on, Markos.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                              Markos, the word 'whine' is really unfair. I realize you like to look at the bright side and all that, but the lack of demo and public beta even when Jeff wanted to do one, raises valid concerns.
                              concerns that we can do very little about. in fact they only thing we can do is ask for explanations....
                              and that doesnt validate lots of shouting and hysteria...

But does it makes sense to ignore your customers' concerns?
                              no, but again, firaxis is producing games, i'll judge their games, not their pr

You are certainly free to throw up your hands, ignore the signs and make the normal excuses for the developers that you always do. As I said in FAO4: It's your job not to be critical I guess, no matter how clearly the situation might call for it.
                              i'm not in the job of making excuses yin. you can see how critical or fair i have been towards the games and the companies that we cover from our news coverage, the previews i have written and the way we have administrated the forums all these years

Comment

Markos: Do you or do you not do everything in your power to make the developer look good? C'mon. This is not an attack on you. Be honest with yourself.

You say you don't care about PR: Then why have a website?

Comment

Working...
                                X