Holy S***! NO Multiplayer Until Spring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by orange
    Personally, I'd be quite pissed if MP was something they're going to charge for in the future. I payed 19.99 for MGE and that had MP included. I'm paying damn near 70 dollars for CivIII LE and I'm not getting MP with it?!
    And how about me? I bought both scenarios cds for Civ2, and shortly after fantastic worlds are released there's something called MGE!! Do you think I bought it? Well, I sure didn't! That's why I didn't order LE!
    "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
    Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
    Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
    Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

• I'm waiting for an official word from Firaxis. Until then, I don't believe a single word of these people claiming there is no MP.
      "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Recalling the gold copy seems like it would be the only option for me if I did use MP. I'll get the game and play the AI despite this, but I still feel cheated in some way.

...of course this only applies if this is true or not.

Comment

• I just found out Civ3 is going to be release without Multiplayer, and I just can't friggin believe it! I had to call 5 other of my gaming friends, and tell them the bad news. They were just as in shock and angry. We had planned a huge Lan party over here on the 30th, and may have played though Halloween. Now, there's no way we are even buying the game. And as for that "Maybe Multiplayer, maybe in the future, maybe you won't have to pay more for it" #*&@ is not fooling us one bit. My God, no multiplayer is like 10 friggin years behind the time! And, no, we are not going to download the warze; we are just going to ignore the entire game. They must be INSANE to release it without MP! I have not been this diapointed since I found out there was no Santa Claus. And althogh I have always hated and detested pirates and warze; squealing on people that distribute it whenever I could, I intend to smile like a cheshise cat when I see warze of this game hitting the web (but I still refuse to download it)........

Comment

• Originally posted by CobraA1
            I'm waiting for an official word from Firaxis. Until then, I don't believe a single word of these people claiming there is no MP.
            Look at the official Civ III site. The feature list makes no mention of 'up to x players' and the system requirements do not include any network potential. Both of those are standard stuff that are always mentioned if the game intended to support them.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumbold

Look at the official Civ III site. The feature list makes no mention of 'up to x players' and the system requirements do not include any network potential. Both of those are standard stuff that are always mentioned if the game intended to support them.
              Absolutely right. I am interested if they would at least make a nice gesture and send a free MP thingie to all registered users or LE owners? Tough chance, I guess.....

Comment

• This is a good time to have a sad smile at this thread, hindsight enabled.
                As of a few days ago, Civ3 has gone gold...meaning that the final cut of 'features' is complete and known. And yet...no word on MP from Firaxis. There is no other explanation possible but that *it is not there*. A shame it is.

I also question the policy of trying to sell expansion pack after EP (whoever started to abbreviate expansion pack with "XP" should be sh0t!). As another poster noted he bought the Civ2 scenario packs but not the MGE edition -and so have I. I regard myself as a die-hard Civ fan, playing since Civ1 on the 286, but still I did not shell out the cash that late in the game for yet another EP.

Wasting too much time on Civ is one thing...wasting too much money in addition is another.

Comment

• I wonder if we will find out when we load the game up! Firaxis silence is deafening.

Also I find it suspicious that we haven't seen a proper review of the game yet since it has gone gold from a website. What are they trying to hide? Have they delivered review copies to magazines yet and if so why no leaks? With the little information that we have you could make a case for both.
                  'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

• Guys; I've heard from two reviewers that have their copy of Civ III, there is NO MULTIPLAYER. It's not a rumor now, it's fact. . .

Comment

• Originally posted by GamesMun
                      Guys; I've heard from two reviewers that have their copy of Civ III, there is NO MULTIPLAYER. It's not a rumor now, it's fact. . .
                      Well to tell you the truth I kind of hope that the reviewers hammer the fact of no MP through Infogrames' teeth making them think about rushing a game out. I really am not happy about this and all I got to say is they better not screw MOO3 over as well.
                      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grim Legacy
                        As another poster noted he bought the Civ2 scenario packs but not the MGE edition -and so have I.
                        I gess I'm the one you're talking about!

Originally posted by Grim Legacy
                        I regard myself as a die-hard Civ fan, playing since Civ1 on the 286
                        Hey, I played it on my 8086, with no mouse or sound board! And it was soooooo slow! And yet, so addicting!

Originally posted by Grim Legacy
                        Wasting too much time on Civ is one thing...wasting too much money in addition is another.
                        Couldn't agree more.
                        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

• Re: Holy S***! NO Multiplayer Until Spring!

Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
                          Confirmed! I asked Firaxis about using Civ3 for my class next semester to participate in a Turing test and they wrote back:

Civ III is set to release in October, but the multiplayer component won't
                          release until some time next spring (May-ish), which will be too late for
                          your class this year. I could send it to you for possible use next year once
                          it's released.
                          Just want to say you were sadly right. Thanks for posting and for taking some of the bricks thrown your way.
                          'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

• I wonder if they were ever planing on making multiplayer - remember the menu screenshot released ages ago, they could of told us back then.
                            Alex

Comment

• I am sure they always had intentions of making a MP component, but obviously 'when' was not #1 on the Firaxis priority list.

The other CIV games all have MP: CivII had MGE released separately, and SMAC had MP included from the get go.

CivIII MP will be here, just not until next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X