Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

March of the Pedants: Czar Catherine the Great??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March of the Pedants: Czar Catherine the Great??

Look at this screen and then the central image which displays the leaders on the diplomacy screen:

Now I am sure that it says Czar Catherine the Great. Surely it should be Czarina, as she is female!

And another thing, does that say Emperor Joan of Arc as well?

Naughty, naughty
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Firaxis: Dohh

At least the got the Queen right in front of Elizabeth!

Comment

On the older screenshoot it says Pharaoh Cleopatra, isn't it supposed to be Queen aswell. Could a woman ever be named Pharaoh?

Comment

Confirmed!

Look at the snap from the new movie!

Snap from German CivIII movie

Now there is no doubt anymore!

Czar Catherine and Emperor Joan

Comment

NEWS FLASH!

: Firaxis, in an attempt to capitalize on the most profit, has decided to simplify the game- creating a single "gender" and allowing the populations to reproduce by cell-division.

Remarking about this incredible move today, Sid Meier had this to say,: "I never said that. The populations of this game are all male... they don't reproduce, they clone."

That's all folks.

-->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Surely it should be Czarina, as she is female!

1. Peter the Great changed the official title to Emperor/Empress. Ergo, it should be Empress (Imperatrix) Ekaterina.
            2. The wife of a tsar is a tsaritsa, not a tsarina. The daughter of a tsar/tsaritsa is a tsarevna.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Well I'm sorry, I don't have a degree in Russian frigging aristocracy...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Fiil
                On the older screenshoot it says Pharaoh Cleopatra, isn't it supposed to be Queen aswell. Could a woman ever be named Pharaoh?

AFAIK, there has been only one female Pharaoh, and we know nearly nothing about her, other than that she was of royal birth, I think she was married with a Pharaoh that died, and she took over. But that was N_O_T usual! he name? Can't remember...!
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I think that the title depends on the form of government...
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
                    I think that the title depends on the form of government...
                    Yes aaglo, but this discussion is about what title a female leader would have! You wouldn't call a female leader of a monarchy for a king, would you? I know, that isn't a problem here, but if we then use a despotism as an example? You wouldn't call a women for an Emperor, would you? No, you would call her an Empress!!! Is that clear?
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                      Yes aaglo, but this discussion is about what title a female leader would have! ...
                      Yes, it is clear But I was not talking about that. I was talking about the disputes in should Ms Catherina be called as Czar, Emperor, Despot, President or a Lepricon.
                      And yes, I agree that a female leader should be called as Czarinna, Empress, Despotinna, Presidentinna and Lepricinna.

Comment

OK! You are forgiven! ( )

Comment

BTW, are you the Nikolai I or Nikolai II?
                          Just being curious... as being a finn...

Comment

I think I'm Nikolai I, the second one lost the power, you know...
                            BTW: I just have to play as the Russians soon, I have to rule again, you see... And that means ruling the fins to! MUAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Catherine ruled in her own right IIRC (after that bit of unpleasantness where her husband ended up dead), therefore she was a tsarina, not a tsaritsa

Pharaoh is pharaoh is pharaoh. No female form.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X