Civ3 Movie!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 Movie!!!

I downloaded and watched the new civ3 movie!! Wow! It includes footage of a settler founding a city, a city expanding its borders, setting priorites in the tech tree (?), diplomacy, a shot of the wonders screen, which includes:

The pyramids
    The hanging gardens
    The colossus
    The great lighthouse
    The great library
    The oracle
    The great wall
    Art of War (?)
    Sistine chapel
    great observatory

To show who has built this, the leader picture is next to the wonder (hammurabi in a top hat!), plus it shows the date of construction and location.

Also, the diplomacy screen, and shots of modern units (!!!!!) Looks like a tank and a battleship. Plus the palace, city view, and city screen.

Wow!!!

I was going to post this thread first, but I thought that would make me look too positive. Actually, it is quite impressive footage. Not particularly packed-full of the information we are seeking, but it shows a game that looks quite polished graphically.

My only question: Why doesn't Poly get this stuff first, eh, Markos and Dan?
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Another question: any Germans willing to translate? I've only taken a 1 semester introductory class in it, so I'm not catching everything the narrator's saying.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

There is a translation at Civfanatics.com.

Why don't Mark and Dan get it first? Because their news editors suck .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyller
          I downloaded and watched the new civ3 movie!!
          And as usual we forgot adding the link to that download-page. Is it available on Firaxis official site, or somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
            My only question: Why doesn't Poly get this stuff first, eh, Markos and Dan?
            what, you're now ending your civ3 career and start an apolyton career to compete with GP or something?
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

OK, I found the download-site. Here it is: http://www.civfans.net/frame0.html

Comment

It looks pretty sweet, a large step from ctp2. I can now appreciate why it requires 300Mhz.
                Alex

Comment

what, you're now ending your civ3 career and start an apolyton career to compete with GP or something?
                  Hey, Markos:

1) I have no idea what that even means. Are you angry or making a good joke? How would I know?

2) If you are making a good joke, O.K. ... I am laughing, too:

3) But if you are angry, you have no need to be and it is totally uncalled for. In fact, you should apologize. I am asking an honest question: Why is a German-language site being given the best footage to date when an English-language site like Poly has been busting itself for a long, long time supporting Firaxis' games? Are they trying to appeal to a German audience that might otherwise ignore the game? Are they planning little things like this for a bunch of sites and Poly just has to wait?

What? Please no inside jokes, since I don't follow all the back alleys here at Poly.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

1) I have no idea what that even means. Are you angry or making a good joke? How would I know?
                    never mind.... if you dont get it, it's not a joke
                    therefore, my apologies...

I am asking an honest question: Why is a German-language site being given the best footage to date when an English-language site like Poly has been busting itself for a long, long time supporting Firaxis' games?
                    well, first of all, it's not a simple german site, gamestar.de is the site of big german games magazine(btw, i cant seem to find the video on gamestar.de). plus, it was created by the magazine

second, while of course things could be better, this is the site that published the first civ3 artwork in the world, relayed Sid's personal note on the "BHG situation", etc. Just recently we were the first post the new of the civ3 beta. And pretty soon we'll have more interesting stuff once our operatives catch up with some firaxians that are chasing around the office

and with the way our financial status is going very soon we'll be to have our own permanent tv crew outside and inside firaxis' offices monitoring everything
                    Last edited by MarkG; September 6, 2001, 03:21.
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Ah, I see. I assumed that GP was up to some dastardly deeds lately...

Poly is doing great. I don't want to take away from the other sites, either. Hey...call me overly-protective.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        There is a translation at Civfanatics.com.
                        I just checked the translation, and while it is not too-literal, it is quite accurate. However, one correction needs to be made:

'You have to research the bulk of technologies of a certain time era first, before you can go on to the next one'.

This corresponds with previous statements that you can skip 'arts' (e.g. literature).
                        "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

i gotta agree with yin, sort of. why doesn't this kinda stuff appear at official civ site? i mean, they could have easily included that footage there. it is kinda silly to patch all the screenshots from dozen or so pages. is it so hard to add 5 every week to civ.3 com?

i mean, SOMEONE sends that material over to all these sites. that SOMEONE may just as well paste it to civ3.com. i wanna one-stop-shop

Comment

Are they trying to appeal to a German audience that might otherwise ignore the game?
                            I guess that the German (and Austrian ) audience is quite interested in 'strategy' and 'builder' games. Three years ago, about 400.000 copies of '1602 A.D.' were sold, and recently the market was flooded with the german versions of Call to Power 2 ( ), the Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack ( ) and Tropico ( ). (BTW, CtP2 became a dead article pretty fast.)
                            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Well, I have to just add my 2 cents: the footage indeed looks very impressive. The game looks really nice graphically and looks very smooth. I love those unit animations. They are better than ctp2's.
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Working...
                              X