Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone disappointed in the Chinese special unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lung

So, who's going to make the "Clown Civ" scenario, huh? You know, King Bozo of the Circus Clowns. The special unit could be the "pie-chucker", which, instead of having bonuses in attack, defence, or movement, instead lowers opposing units' defence ratings! Think of the endless possibilities!!!

Sounds;
    ----------
    Whoopie-cushions
    nose-horns
    water squirts

Graphics
    -----------
    movement with big floppy feet
    attack with cream pies
    etc

Buildings
    -----------
    pie factory (in lieu factory)
    circus (in lieu colliseum)

Just think of the diplomacy! You know - you go to speak to King Bozo, and he arrives to stupid clown music. When you actually speak to him, he squirts you with water from a flower on his chest, then shakes you hand in apology, only to find he's got a buzzer in his hand

The possiblities are endless!!!
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Since the Mongols are gone, a mounted special unit seems ok for the Chinese. As an ignorant pop-culture-raised American, I would have liked the "rider" to have a cool Asian-sounding name (however inaccurate), be wielding a bow, and have multicolored samurai-esque armor.

I'd love to have a super worker be my special unit, even if I don't get a Golden Age. My Civ2 settlers and engineers can never work quickly enough.

Comment

Lung:
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Since the mongols are out of the game, and the team is working on only 16 civilizations, how about they try harder to make an accurate yet fun game, instead of some "samurai" unit that for some reason is associated with the chinese civ. Leave the fugging units to firaxis, and don't assume something is historically inaccurate simply because of your ignorance of other cultures.

And provost, that's a nice signature. What a good idea...
          Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

Hell ya, I'm disappointed. There are better suited units out there for China than riders. However, China is the earliest nation to excel at horse riding, so I mean even if Firaxis made a mistake, it's not too much of one.

hell, besides, maybe I will enjoy kicking other civ's asses with my riders!
            Webmaster of Blizzard Chronicles

Comment

If the mongols aren't in their horsepower can be shown through the chinese(who were influenced by mongols and are basically the same) in their rider unit, (super knight) , the eastern horse cavalry were powerful and conquered a large empire (Mongol Hordes) and the chinese had this too.
              Mongols are the same as Chinese? Ok...
              China was one of the, if not THE earliest nation to excel at horseback riding, I'm sure way before mongols even existed.
              Webmaster of Blizzard Chronicles

Comment

I like the unit, although a special worker could be a great idea now that peaceful GAs are possible.
                What I don't like is the name. Rider. I wish Firaxis would change this. They could name it whatever they wanted, as long as it sounded chinese.

Comment

hmm chinese had horses, and they did ride them.. and got pretty good at it too..

i dont know if they were actually faster or stronger than other horse riding peoples but it is accurate other than that, often they used swords or bow and arrows..

Comment

One more thing, the Rider (4/4/3), despite the terrible name, is extremely powerful and surprisingly fast, which fits well the Chinese civ which is now Militaristic. From the movie we've all just seen, the Modern Armor also has a movement factor of 3, so this shows how important this knight can be in its proper period of time.
                    As someone pointed out, it can step out of a city where it was fortified, attack, and enter again. And let's not forget that the movement factor of 3 will be 9 (!) on road, so imagine the possibilities, as a couple of these babies patrol your borders.

Comment

Chinese mounted troops and other type of troops are powerful. The reason they were not famous is because China is more famous for something else, not for its military might. But remember, Han Empire existed about the same time as Roman Empire, and was bigger in size and more culturely advanced. Also notice the Huns, who after being defeated by the Chinese migrate across Central Aisan and conquer much of the the eastern Europe. China being able to defeat such powerful mounted enemy means it's good on horse back too.
                      ==========================
                      www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Re: Anyone disappointed in the Chinese special unit?

Originally posted by El hidalgo
                        For those who know about Chinese history, was there really a "rider" unit? Anyone else besides me wish they had gone with the Boxer (pic: http://teachpol.tcnj.edu/amer_pol_hi...mbnail257.html) or some other unit instead? Even though the Boxer could hardly have been said to usher in a golden age....
                        Well I expected party members waving Mao red books. That was a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

I will be posting some educated guess, not well-researched materials. So please take it with a BIG grain of salt.
                          And please make correction to my pinyin. I learnt my history in Chinese.

In the Chinese language, China means 'Central Empire'. The central part of China at pre-modern time is the 'pocket' of the Yellow River, (If I remember correctly, it's a flooding plain.) The land is good for farming but not very good for massive horse-breeding. Horses do not travel with ease in that area without roads.

The followings were depicted in quite a number of Chinese operas and novels, (but not in history books. Chinese official history did not usually record details of a battle). There were a lot of extraneous information added as favors. But I am quite certain that I had not quoted lores. (Nothing like Hercules, Merlin ,Siegfried, or people who can leap to the roof and fly [Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon] )

1. Horses in Central part of China were usually used by the rich (as carriage to faraway places, for short travel, they use sedans), by the officials (as couriers), and by the generals (riding a horse is a kind of privledge). A small group of elites would also ride the horses to the battle but the effect was usually rather small.
                          Some may argue that in ancient China, war wagons were used often. But the number of infantry support far exceeded war wagons. In the "warring state" period, it were claimed that a certain general had buried 400,000 captives. At that time, a big state would have 1000 wagons (There should be some quote about this in the Sun Tzu or Wu Tzu. The learned please confirm)

2. Infantry with swords, scimitars, and polearm-like weapon were usually seen. (I had not recalled seeing Chinese battling with lance in any novels and operas.)

3. Bows were used but it had usually been used as cover fire (I'm not very sure of this). There were two famous (yet unofficial) description of use of bows and x-bows. Both in the 3 Kingdom period and with ZhugeLiang. (Borrowing arrows using straw boats [there're more than 100,000 arrows involved]) (The making of Chukonu [x-bow that fired multiple arrows]) There was a Chinese saying that 'Shoot the horse before shoot a man, Capture the leader before capture all the bandits'.

4. Pikes, not cavalry, were used as defensive weapons against barbarians cavalry charges (South Sung period, Vs the Liu empire and Kam empire)

5. Battle vs the 'barbarians' in the western deserts were also made mainly by infantry. (not even camels, try to see the movie Wulan made by Disney. )

All these long-winded paragraphs were to illustrate that
                          "Chinese was not famous in using horses in combat"

If I were to devise some kind of special units for Chinese, I will choose 'Yan-Hoi' (literally 'Man-Sea', translation probably being 'hordes of human'). Huge number of HP, so-so attack and defense, slow movement, requires 1 pop point to create.
                          You really want to take me seriously?
                          Think twice!

Comment

Working...
                          X