No announcement yet.

Do you play Civ just for fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play it for fun, and if I win that is a bonus. But if I lose, I don't take it to hard.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

The words "play" and "fun" are not always associated.

Case; Some are forced to play games that are not fun, such as the political bullcrap at work.
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I also play it for fun only, but as for every other good Empire-building game, it's a kind of fun that needs exertion and a constant thinking : it can be hard to achieve during hefty and hard-working weeks when you finally reach home exhausted... The Civ ( and all related ) games are not relaxing; they are instead "working the fun"...
        The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't play the game!
          Rome rules

Comment

i play civ to properly plan my path to taking over the world.

i expect the real life competors to be not much more than the civ ai.

or i could just be thinking of the french.

PINK
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Hey, leave the Frogs alone, they've contributed so much to the greater advancement of humanity, especially in the past century. Oh wait, the Frogs haven't done squat since Maire Curie.

Screw 'em.

Comment

For fun. But fun is winning

I play what I call «hardcore civ». That means no saves whatsoever from 4.000 BC untill the end. ( no cheats also of course) I only save when I exit the game and then I load to continue. And what happens happens! This brings careful planning and improvisation is your most needed resource

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                  For fun. But fun is winning

I play what I call «hardcore civ». That means no saves whatsoever from 4.000 BC untill the end. ( no cheats also of course) I only save when I exit the game and then I load to continue. And what happens happens! This brings careful planning and improvisation is your most needed resource
                  YES! This definitely makes the game more fun, interesting, challenging, and seemingly realistic.

For all those who complain about the computer cheating, how many of you 'cheat' by saving and reloading to get different results or through using rules loopholes? Thought so.

The way paiktis22 described playing the game is definitely the way to play to have fun. Jump into the game, imagine interactions/reactions between you and AI that can't exactly be programmed in and add elements in your mind such as you do when you read a book. This definitely makes the game fun for me.

Playing the game just to look for loopholes I can use to my advantage . . . How boring is that ?

Comment

I play Civ so I can impress the girls with my gaming skills and get lots of action! Actually, that plan isn't working out so well so I'm thinking of changing my strategy and taking up the accordion.

****This is just a joke. I'm happily married to a woman who loves me despite the fact I can't win on Deity. Or play the accordion.
                    Formerly known as Masuro.
                    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Or make a decent joke.
                      Formerly known as Masuro.
                      The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken

how many of you 'cheat' by saving and reloading to get different results or through using rules loopholes? Thought so.
                        Ehm, I don't think anyone actually does that. What would be the point?
                        Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Anatolia
                          Or make a decent joke.
                          LOL I thought they were funny
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Roman

Ehm, I don't think anyone actually does that. What would be the point?
                            Um, yes, many people do that: save a game just before combat. Conduct combat. If the result isn't very good, reload and change strategy, use more units, etc. This has been mentioned by players before.

Also, rules loopholes: ICS to name one. Obviously this has been used an innumerable number of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken

Um, yes, many people do that: save a game just before combat. Conduct combat. If the result isn't very good, reload and change strategy, use more units, etc. This has been mentioned by players before.
                              Of course in SMAC(x) we have the "Iron Man" option where, if selected on ( I always have ), you cannot save your game during gameplay: only restricted when you exit. It should be cool to have an option like that in Civ3 with a more reasonable score multiplier ( +25% to +50% instead of the whopping +100% ).
                              The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

I play it to kill time...

Comment

Working...
                                X