Do you play Civ just for fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you play Civ just for fun?

Do you play the game just for fun, or do you play it for bragging rights?

Okay, maybe not bragging rights, but would you analyse the game to the death, sequeezing the last iota of advantage out, and maybe even ruthlessly take advantage of any flaws in the software?
    Yes, I just want to have nice, relaxing games
    61.84%
    No, I play to win fair and square. I don't do cheats though
    25.00%
    No, I play to win in every possible manner
    6.58%
    Nuts!
    6.58%
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I only play for fun and could be proved by me never doing ICS. Once in a while I will play "record" game. Where I try to get a really high point total but I don't use any "cheap" or "cheating" ways. With my "record" games I'm more less playing the same way as normal it's just that I'm trying a bit harder.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Definitely play it for fun, but I'm not sure where "fun" fades into "addiction". What makes you keep playing after you have clear production and technology advantage? For me it's the imperative to play the game through to the end. The micro-management gets painful...but...have...to...finish! In the end, there can be only one.
      Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means.

Comment

I play to win. KILL, KILL THEM ALL!!!! Ok, ive calmed down a bit hehe I get enjoyment out of crushing the other annoying civs, bringing order and complete terrain reforming to (what was their) territory, and making all my cities have all the "useful" buildings in them. On numerous occaisions, ive had a complete spaceship sitting in my capital, but not launched, just so i can conquer and terraform other areas of the planet... Yes, i am a bit crazy
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Sounds familiar! I usually build the spaceship when:

1. I have nearly conquered the whole world.
          2. The AI is building one.
          3. I am near 2000, you know the retirement thing.

But in civ3 there will be more ways to victory.
          It will be more of a challenge!
          Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
          If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
          "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

For fun of course, why else would you play it if you didn't enjoy it It is the best game to play, so engrossing for me that I kind of enter a trance like state and I am the leader of that nation.

I was playing civ (original) all day sunday. What a blast from the past, it is years since I last played it!
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I enjoy playing Civ in all it's variations just for fun. It is a relaxing game for me, unlike the myriad of shooters out there. No stress in playing Civ......well none until some strong rival declares war on me at least!
              signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

The words "play" and "fun" are usually associated (aren't they)?
                Art is a science having more than seven variables.

Comment

I play AoE II simply to match wits against a human player and win at all costs. It's not relaxing in the least. On the contrary, it's a rush --my heartrate increases; I get nervous; my palms sweat.

Civ, on the other hand, is a totally different experience. It's a fun, relaxing, cerebral game --played for enjoyment and pure relaxation. It's an escape into another world to help put off the worries of the real world, at least for a little while.

I vote for fun (but I like to win too )

Comment

Of course I play for fun!!! I have played ICS, but it was b_o_r_i_n_g!!! I try to just have fun, but I have to be a little up to date!!!
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Recurve
                      The words "play" and "fun" are usually associated (aren't they)?
                      Usually, yes. Years ago when I was still actively playing bridge some friends and I used to go to a local bridge club. I swear that some old ladies in there were playing for blood , or at least points. They would call the director in every little thing they thought we had done wrong.

We used to beat them all the time, too
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I voted for the first... but that is how it starts, that is what i wan. but sometimes the game can progress into becoming work, i.e I have to do my best and than calculate what is the best ot do for every unit and every city straight... well I don't think this is the idea, anyway... but that happens too, more ofhten than not
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Playing to win is fun.
                          It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Wille
                            Playing to win is fun.
                            *nods in agreement*

I voted for the second one. I play for fun, but I wanna win as well o'course ...
                            My Website: www.geocities.com/civcivciv2002/index.html
                            My Forums: http://pub92.ezboard.com/bacivcommunity

Comment

When you say cheat are you talking about using the cheat codes or ICS and other game rules that you can take advantage of?

If it is the later than I don't agree that its cheating but it will impact my vote. I play to win. I find that fun. I use different strategies - perfection, ICS, warmonger, scientist, space ship, and conquer earth. But at all times I am going to try to win. Although I do find it fun to have my butt whipped by the AI from time to time.
                              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X