We have armies, but what about fleets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Admiral PJ
    ...It would be simple to program this, I've programmed by own name creation system and its not hard.
    Superb, Admiral! I think many of us would be really grateful if you could create a mod for Civ III that allows you the choice of either naming your units, or generates random names for them , depending on their nationality.

If you could engineer this mod so that in multiplayer it does not clash with other players who do not have it, so much the better.
    A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

Naming arbitrary units can consume considerable amount of storage, though restricting naming to elite units and great leaders solves the problem.

Gramphos,

"How many units should you name in one file, and how long should the names be?"

Since files are arbitrarily long, you can have as many unit names as you want in the same file given there's sufficient storage on the HDD. As for the length of the name, I reckon 64 characters is good enough.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't think naming units would be such a great feature in Civ3, all of the units are exactly the same, not to say that I'd never use it, though. Although, naming armies would be nice.

In a game like MOO2/3 naming individual units is more worthwhile, as they can actually be unique and not just another battleship.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Naming arbitrary units can consume considerable amount of storage, though restricting naming to elite units and great leaders solves the problem.
          Hmm, lets say we have 200 units, and a maximum name lenght of 24 characters (I noticed you proposed 64, but I don't think one need that much).

1 char uses 1 byte, so a name will use 24 byte.

24 * 200 = 4800 bytes

4800 bytes / 1024 = approx. 4.7 KB

I can't say I think that's a lot. And you must remember that all the units already has names, so all you actually will do is replace it with another one.
          We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

I don't think naming units would be such a great feature in Civ3, all of the units are exactly the same, not to say that I'd never use it, though. Although, naming armies would be nice.

If you name them, then your units wouldn't be exactly the same
            We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

I think the less units policy of Civ3 is better. I'm just worried we will still end up with masses of howies at the end of the game.

I sure hope they eleiminate the howie ignoring CW function or just give it to the AI's howies.

Comment

If what ive read is correct, howies and all other artillery units bombard cities and other units, similar to the bombardment in SMAC... So with infinite howies, you could only get enemies to half-health, and would still need other units (ie tanks) to finish these enemies off

Well, it stops players *just* building howies
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Bah I want a 'Expert training' feature. If there is not one, I will add it via mod!

A way to give a unit an extra hit point (costing longer production of course)

Comment

Working...
                  X