X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sabre2th

Have you ever used win2000 UR?

GET 2000

My computer sucked before. It crashed constantly and basically was crap. I upgraded from 98 to 2000 and have not had a single problem since.
    Win 2000 is more stable, but if you have old hardware that you want to keep from old PC you won't have the drivers for win 2000 to support it, and it is quite expensive to buy if you don't have it already. The last downside is that not all older games will run under win 2000. So be careful. I would think that win 98SE is the best platfom for now, 1. you most likely have it already,
    2. it supports apsolutley everything made in the last 5-6 years, and yes it is more unstable, but most of us can live with it.

I guess if you primary use for the PC is internet, gaming and some MS office application processing it will be just fine.

I'd say that win XP successor will be the next best...
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I currently have an AMD K6 233 MMX (I know, it's old). But, over the past year or so, I've been upgrading it. I now have 256MB of RAM and a 32MB graphics card. What a difference!

I am able to play many games now that have high CPU requirements, because (1) it loads most of what the game needs into RAM [instead of constantly using the hard drive] (2) the graphics card does all or most of the number crunching for displaying the images.

The only thing that starts showing my CPUs age is when there are a LOT of things happening in the game all at once. This is especially true when I play, say, AoE: Age of Kings when big battles take place which requires brute processing power to keep track of all the units.

When I play CtPII (modified) it begans to slow down later in the game when the AI and I have a LOT of cities, units, etc. It's difficult for a 233Mhz to keep up with it all. But it still runs fine.

I think if you are strapped for cash, upgrading the RAM and video card is the way to go. You can get a 256MB DIMM for less than $35 and a PCI 32MB graphics card for less than $50 or an AGP 64MB graphics card for less than $75.

To me, if you don't have much money, this is the way to go to get a little more life out of your old computer. Shoot, for the cost of RAM and 3D cards right now, if you're young, go out and mow a few yards for cash and you'll have enough money to upgrade. Easy and Cheap!

Comment

RAM makes a HUGE difference - It's so cheap now - 128Mg sticks cost the same as 64Mg sticks did 6 months ago.

Wish I had waited...The next computer I get, I will automatically upgrade the RAM right away.
        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
        ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Nemo

Nemo: Thanks, I found the system requirements. This is what it said:

GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology

How fast is this??

Comment

Well, I have a K6-2 300 MHZ 64MB DRAM with a old 3d video card. I think this is just fine for Civ3 (at least it'll run).
            But I think I'll spend some of my economies (and I'll do this just cause Civilization 3 requeriments ) upgrading them to a Athlon 1.2 GHz 256MB SDRAM and a Gforce2 32/64MB. Selling my old stuff I'll spent something like US$300 - US$400.
            A small price to pay for play Civ3 with all they have to offer.
            Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th
              Have you ever used win2000 UR?

GET 2000

My computer sucked before. It crashed constantly and basically was crap. I upgraded from 98 to 2000 and have not had a single problem since.
              Did you read my prior messages in this thread?

One does not need Windoze 2K to play games. Windoze 2K is expensive, is a resource hog, and is up to what, SP2?

If I want my computer to be stable I'd run *nix. It works great on my 486, which is the firewall I have at home.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Nemo

Originally posted by The Civ3 Site
                Nemo: Thanks, I found the system requirements. This is what it said:

GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology

How fast is this??

As fast as a rabbit on speed

In other words, system info doesn't tell you the clock speed of your CPU. However, when you turn on your computer next time the BIOS should tell you.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Thanks for the replies re: upgrading... haven't been online to read them until now.

Urban Ranger: Thankfully I have 98 SE , and my "small" monitor is a 15 inch monitor with a 4 MB video card.

6 weeks until civ 3 !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Did you read my prior messages in this thread?

One does not need Windoze 2K to play games. Windoze 2K is expensive, is a resource hog, and is up to what, SP2?

If I want my computer to be stable I'd run *nix. It works great on my 486, which is the firewall I have at home.
                    Have you read my posts?

I didn't say anyone needed win2000 to play games. I acknowledged that it's expensive. My point is that it's worth the money and much better for people who may have difficulty running *nix.

Comment

Cyrix-366mhz (Pentium II generic)

I have no trouble running Europa Universalis. It cant be must worse than that ..Considering there can be thousands of units from 200 nations, plus constant diplomacy. all those units flickering and moving around at once!

i think I should be fine... how much GB does this game take tho? (only have 2.6 )

Comment

Originally posted by Saddam
                        i think I should be fine... how much GB does this game take tho? (only have 2.6 )
                        the requirement is 400 mb, but (as always) it'd be better if you had more room than that.
                        Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

2.6GB on the HDD is a lot, considering that Civ 3 comes on a CD-ROM, which holds at most 650MB

Comment

i think my 366mhz is sufficient. But alas bear with me. I may be getting a 900mhz this fall. But hey, thats if I get my christmas bonus. if

Comment

I only have 32.7 GB free. Is that enough?

Comment

Working...
                              X