300 mhz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 mhz

Will civ3 not run on a machine with less than a 300mhz processor?, i currently have only 233. Will civ3 not run or will it just run slowly/badly?

Sorry but I don't understand any of this technical stuff. I know that my computer has a Pentium 2. Is this enough?

Comment

Sorry but I don't understand any of this technical stuff. I know that my computer has a Pentium 2. Is this enough?

Comment

Hm, perhaps it will run, but slow as hell...
        Blah

Comment

Ok you are in the US... and you need perhaps 200 USD to upgrade your motherboard/processor/ram to get to 800mhz... that is the best way to go and it will keep you playing for the next two years. this is a good excuse to upgrade.
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

iannac

it all depends on your system...first you didn't specify if your 233 cpu was a pentium 1 or a pentium 2 or something else altogether...also your ram will have an effect

but depending on your system it migh just be better to upgrade like OneFootInTheGrave suggested

on outpost.com a brand new emachines computer without a monitor is 399.95 after rebate (474.95 before the rebate) and on outpost.com you don't have to pay sales tax and shipping is very reasonable there is also a amd combo that has 800Mhz Duron, Gigabyte motherboard 128MB SDRAM ATX mid tower case for 265.85...so all you'd need to provide would be an OS, HD, videocard, mouse/keyboard and monitor, and since you have a computer you most likely have all of those things
            emachines computer
            duron combo

but if you just want to upgrade your mb and cpu then checkout www.pricewatch.com

i can point you in the right direction once you your parts...it's actually pretty easy to put your own computer together, i built one for my brother

Comment

I'm wondering to whether I should upgrade my PC.

I own a K6-2 350 MHz, so Civ 3 should be OK, but I'm used to not trusting the "minimal" requistes, that keep being under-estimated (I don't know if it's the right word, I just hope you understand me).
              M. le Comte

Comment

If your system doesn't mean the lowest requirement in CPU speed, the game should run, albeit slower. Adding more RAM helps. SDRAM is dirt cheap here these days so I have maxed out all my boxes on 256MB DIMMs.

I have no idea why I did that, either
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I reckon you should be fine if you have plenty of memory...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The game will probably run fine having enough RAM and a nice videocard. But it would've been nice if you we're able to try with a DEMO

I also have a PII 233 now. I'm gonna upgrade later this year, lots of game ask for a PII 300 as the minimum today.

Comment

You should buy a new PC now

I think you should buy a new PC now and I think it's good time to buy a new PC since the price is so cheap.
                      I don't recommend you to upgrade only CPU, MB and try to reuse your old video card, harddisk unless you have upgraded them recently. An old harddisk will slow down your system speed greatly and a bad video card will also slow down the graphics display. I don't really mind about sound card though, I can't hear the difference.
                      Another good news for people who is still using tiny monitors. There is 19" Compaq P900 Trinitron monitor with 3 years warranty onsale for only $279! I think it's a terrific price. Here is the link:

Comment

Generally you need 2.5 to 3 times the minimal requirements to run the maximum textures of a game, and in the case of Civ3 that means the 3D leaders animations and the crowded combat scenes. So for an optimal playing, you need a PIII 800+32 MB videocard+256 RAM. I'm pretty sure that below aPIII 500, you'll need to tone down a bit some options.
                        The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

thanks for the replies. I recently updated the harddrive to a 20GB one, but i have no idea right now what the video card is. (i'm at work, pc's at home) But it wont run Age of Sail II, saying i need more direct draw memory, or something like that. IF i were to get a new pc, what kind of video card would you people suggest? or should any pc i buy now (in the $800 -1000 range) include a quality one?

Comment

I would imagine most new comps come with at least a 32 meg video card and probably 128 megs of RAM. The 32 meg card is fine, but I would recommend getting 256 megs of RAM and win2000 if you can.

Note: win2000 will run most games for win95/98, but not all.

Another Note: The GeForce2 32 mb is reasonable now and has good graphics. If that's an option, I would definately recommend it.

Comment

You can buy from DELL. I'll recommend Dimension 4100. They are using onboard graphics card on Dimension 2100, that's very bad. I don't think you need to buy Dimension 8100 either, it uses expensive P4 and RDRAM. The Geforce2MX come with 4100 is definitely good enough for the game. I also think you should get 256MB RAM, but RAM is not cheap on DELL.
                              You may also buy parts and build your own. Then I'll using AMD TBird 1.2G, 256MB DDRAM, ATI Radeon, 40GB IBM GXP60.
                              Last edited by easy; August 29, 2001, 11:28.

Comment

Working...
                              X