Reassuring info from latest Gamespy preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reassuring info from latest Gamespy preview

Some nice quotes from the Gamespy's latest preview. Read and rejoice!

Several refinements help speed up the game. There are more contextual menus accessible by right clicking on units and cities. This eliminates the need for going to pull down menus for simple commands. The city screen now contains all the information about the city; you no longer have to go through various tabs and screens to get different info about your cities.
    The game's level editor is incredibly diverse. Every aspect of the game can be tweaked. Required technologies, civilization effects, combat values, race attributes, governments, and more can be modified. The level of customization is so staggering that it's almost like creating an entirely new game. Modifications and scenarios are saved to a small file that can be used by any player with Civ III on their system. The developer hopes that the Civ community will get creative and conjure up some nifty scenarios for download.
    Well, above certainly feels reassuring so far. Keep up the good works!

Every aspect of the game can be tweaked. Required technologies, civilization effects, combat values, race attributes, governments, and more can be modified. The level of customization is so staggering that it's almost like creating an entirely new game.
    Ah, I've been waiting to hear that for a long time, great news!
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

ok, some kickass editing equipment.

i am going to assemble the best free-working modding crew this side of Alpha Centuari.

move over Sid Mier's Civilization III, here comes UberKruX's Cililisation III.

open source, of course.

think i can get sued for using the brit spelling on that one?

oh yes. theres no fawking u in color.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

there are also these little tidbits

Automated units are more intelligent, requiring less babysitting.

There are also several enhancements to the artificial intelligence and interface that make the game flow more smoothly

Comment

Automated units are more intelligent, requiring less babysitting
          I very much doubt that automated units will be more useful than in SMAC.
          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Yay! Now I can make some good scenarios about micronationalism! Well, come October 16th of course.
            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

There are more contextual menus accessible by right clicking on units and cities. This eliminates the need for going to pull down menus for simple commands.
              I suspect that Civ-2 style dropdown-menus have been completely eliminated. Replaced by rightclick-menus and screen-buttons and -options only, I guess.

The city screen now contains all the information about the city; you no longer have to go through various tabs and screens to get different info about your cities.
              It seems to be the anti-pode of CTP-2 style endless tab-clicking and multiple screen-manager handling.

I can only hope that they also follow this up with automatic map-recentering and unit & city-flashing whenever new orders is needed. I always play without build-queues and governers, so I really NEED it. Please Firaxis, at least make this a free option for those who like to play the game this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
                I can only hope that they also follow this up with automatic map-recentering and unit & city-flashing whenever new orders is needed. I always play without build-queues and governers, so I really NEED it. Please Firaxis, at least make this a free option for those who like to play the game this way.
                I agree, you can never have too many option regardings event information and the flow of your turn.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Anybody know how the customizations you can make will work in Multiplayer modes?

Comment

Ralf, did you notice in the Gamespy preview that we may now have the answer to your question in another thread, "Do ALL combat-units need access to resources?" I'm referring to the statement,

"In addition to required technologies, each unit has a requisite resource you must have or trade for before it can be built." (My bolding.)

That's pretty definite, isn't it? Hope it was stated on proper authority and wasn't just 'journalist's licence'... If it's genuine, it means that many resources, at least in the early stages of the game, had better be fairly easy to come by!
                    Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
                    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                      I agree, you can never have too many option regardings event information and the flow of your turn.
                      They can even have the interface change to city-manager mode automatically whenever a city needs new build-orders. The less clicks, the better.

By the way; Where is the build-manager? The Sistine chapel-picture in above screenshot looks like its located on a clickable button. If its lead to the build-manager, I hope it manager closes down automatically as soon as I have choosen and confirmed it all with an OK. A small thing perhaps, but I just hate unnecessary clicks in order to handle gameflow-related screens.

Game-behaviour related options-screens is an different matter - they can be extensive as in SMAC.
                      Last edited by Ralf; August 26, 2001, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkuul
                        "In addition to required technologies, each unit has a requisite resource you must have or trade for before it can be built." (My bolding.)

That's pretty definite, isn't it?
                        I certainly agree. Each and every unit, it seems. Perhaps NOT Workers and Settlers though. Diplomats?
                        Last edited by Ralf; August 26, 2001, 14:58.

Comment

Did You look at the screenshots?

-I think the colours have become brighter and less dull.
                          -I also think there is somewhat more info in the two shown tech-trees.
                          -Gandhi looks ugly. Can´t they get any leader right?
                          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Paper or vellum for Diplomats??! But those aren't raw materials. So probably not. Maybe you need sheep --> wool --> cloth --> fancy clothes for your diplomats!
                            Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
                            Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

I think what he said about Civ3 being returned to the creator is probably the best way to describe civ3.

What if we all said " hey god! Howsa 'bout you fixing Earth for us eh? "
                              Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Working...
                              X