Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi I'm Lancer, you might remember me from such classics as 'The First Ever Civ 3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

stop being an arsehole imran - oh yeah, you can't.
    clash of the titans (dieties)

lancer, im interested, but i hardly think im good enough.
    so sign me up but i doubt id get in
    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Deep regrets to the folks in the Civ 3 forum.

I didn't mean to bring OT BS into this forum. Now, let's get down to business.

Wittlich, is there anyone we can ask about the multiplayer possibilities? That would get us much closer to setting up teams and schedules.

Regarding this forum, I'm encouraged by the level of response and welcome given to a poster who doesn't post here that much. It's much appreciated, thank you all.

dainbramaged, glad to have you on board. There's lots of forums that might not be represented, so you and I have hope of getting in. One thing, it will be Civ, but it will also be new in many ways to all our experts. Maybe a chance to raise our games, pick up a few tricks, and maybe pick off an expert or two? Who knows...maybe the next headline will read 'dainbramaged conquers Apolyton'

Nothing ventured...
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Deep regrets to the folks in the Civ 3 forum.

Originally posted by Lancer
        Wittlich, is there anyone we can ask about the multiplayer possibilities? That would get us much closer to setting up teams and schedules.
        Good question Lancer. If you've noticed, there is another thread asking the type of questions needed - basically "what can we expect from the Multiplay side of CIV3," however Firaxis has, so far, been tight-lipped about revealing too much information.

I would hope that we can have an 8-player game (4 teams), but if the maximum number of human players in a game ends up being 7, then I believe we have to go with setting up a 6-player (3 teams) game with an AI thrown in for good measure.

However, given the amount of processing expected to be involved in this game, the maximum number of human players might be only 4. If this ends up being the case, then we could only have 2 teams - which would make this "Apolyton Championship" rather long...but it could still be doable.

So Firaxis, what is the maximum number of human players allowed in a CIV3 game? If we know this in advance, we could at least start drawing up the list of players wishing to participate in the Championship and start hashing out the ground rules.
        Last edited by Wittlich; August 29, 2001, 19:43.

Comment

I have sent an Email to Kelley Gilmore, Firaxis Games Communications Manager. Hopefully she will be able to lend some light to the number of human players allowable in a given CIV3 game. *keeps fingers crossed*

Comment

stop being an arsehole imran - oh yeah, you can't.

What a great response, Horsie. I bet you want to be attributed for another News Item that really doesn't have much to do with you .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Although I am supposedly the 2nd best Civ3 player according to the all knowing IHN, I doubt I play Civ efficiently enough to win against other people! I'm better at having fun with the AI and making scenarios, thank you wery much...
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

So Cyclotron7, is that a yes to you throwing your "hat" into the ring?
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Re: Deep regrets to the folks in the Civ 3 forum.

I didn't mean to bring OT BS into this forum. Now, let's get down to business.
                  What's BS is you trying to organise something like this - you have no multiplayer cred at all - we have NEVER seen you on the civ 2 MP forum.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Wittlich, that's great! I appreciate you're getting into this as you have and emailing the powers that be regarding multiplayer.

Four teams of two! That's a thought. However in Civ 2 there was a limit of 4 human players for multiplayer, do you think that's gone in Civ 3?

cyclotron7, as AH here has so kindly pointed out, my experience in multiplayer Civ 2 is limited and back a ways. That hasn't stopped me...why not join us?

Comment

4 Player limit?

However in Civ 2 there was a limit of 4 human players for multiplayer
                      Really? Where do you get this crap from Lancer?
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

How would it be decided on who gets to represent each forum? What would be the rules when we played? Level? Barbarian activitiy? Map size? Etc...?

BtW, AH were you born a jackass or did you just develop that trait over time?
                        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Glad to see your interest AH.

Got some news regarding how many human Civs?

Comment

Techwins, you have suggestions? All that stuff is up in the air. I'll only make a final decision as the originator of the idea if there is disageement. Right now any input on such details would be a help.

I'm used to diety, is that ok or should we lower it a bit since it's a new game?
                            Last edited by Lancer; August 30, 2001, 03:47.

Comment

Settings

IMO, since no one has played CIV3 yet (and no one knows what to expect), we should set the difficulty on "medium" (or Prince, for lack of a known term for the game setting), or even medium-hard (I guess that would be the "king" setting).

I've been thinking about what Lancer said in reference to the "teams" being sponsored by various forums ... Are the teams being slotted in different forums a necessity?

You know, we could just have an open sign-up for a given period of time. Then, when the sign-up window closes, start the games with everyone on their own (no teams). For instance, depending on the maximum number of players allowed, the first 7 players that signed up start a game, players 8-14 start a game, players 15-21 start a game, and so on. The winners of these games would them move on to a second game (and depending on how many players we have signed up, there would be a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and so on game) - until there is only one player standing.

This brings another thought to mind - The Civ3 Release date. If Civ3 is released in America by mid-October, and the game is released in Europe in February 2002; we shouldn't have the championship until everyone can compete. What I'm saying is that launching the actual Apolyton Championship is dependent on the world-wide release on the game - since the Apolyton Forum is made-up from people world-wide.

So, any thoughts?
                              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

A prince or king level would be the best in my opinion. This way would let more people play because of all the differing gameplay capabilities of the user. The barbarian activity should be at one of the higher levels. Anything civ-specific should be turned off (even though I will probably use it in SP). The map size should be at normal size and be randomized on the land formations. Maybe when the time comes for the playing of this we could take a poll(s) to decide which options would be best.

Wittlich, I too like the idea of a tournament. It will create a final winner and give everybody a chance to compete. A non comlex tournament could be to have 2, 4, 8, 16, 23, 64, 128, etc... sets of games. If there were to be 100 people wanting to play then we could go with 16 sets of games with 12 games playing with 6 human players and 12 games playing with 7 human players. This would be the only way to be able to include everybody. When the time comes I would be willing to create the brackets and update the brackets. Would anybody like to have a two game elimination?
                                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
                                X